The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #5,251 of 7,071
I dont quite understand that...i have 25000 songs on my 120 titan and i can only see 10,000 songs when i open the album or artist icon and the only way i can actually access all of my music is by using the folders...If i had more than 1024 songs in one folder i should be able to see them otherwise how in the world would i access the music conveniently?I love the sound,i love the size and the build etc...i do not like the UI and especially searching for my music,which i assume and hope can and will be fixed in future FW upgrades

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #5,252 of 7,071
Here's the reply I received regarding questions I posed in a recent email:

Dear iriver customer,

Thank you for contacting iriver customer support. 

Please note the answers to your questions below:

1) I’ve noticed that when I have my AK120 connected to my main music system using a very high quality cable, there is a buzzing sound (sounds like a grounding issue) that comes through my speakers for about 2 seconds after one track ends and before the next track begins. This buzzing sound never appeared with my AK100 using the exact same cable and system setup. The buzzing sound is not present when using headphones, only when connected to my system. If I turn on gapless playback, there is no buzzing sound between tracks unless I manually skip a track. Are you aware of this anomaly?

To better understand the nature of your setup at home, please provide us with more information on what equipments are used with the AK120. A picture attachment of the setup would help us as well.

2).Will you add complete support for reading metadata on .dsf files in a future firmware update?  Currently, no artwork appears on the playback screen yet it does appear on the album listing screen.

Currently artwork is not supported on DSD file formats but we are working on the issue for future updates.

3) Given the storage space available on the AK120 and the likelihood of owners having thousands of songs stored, do you plan on adding a search function in a future firmware update?

We will forward your message to our engineering team for a review.

4) I contacted you before about artwork not showing up on all my songs. I am a member of Head-Fi and have read on the forums that the artwork needs to be no bigger than 500x500 pixels and you concurred, but I have tried reducing the size on some of the files using smaller artwork yet it still does not show up. Do you plan on fixing this anomaly?

Please make sure that the image file of your album art is in JPG format and try again.

5) I have tried resetting my AK120 a number of times by holding the topmost button on the left side simultaneously with the power button for more than 7 seconds, but all that happens is the AK120 displays the good bye message and turns off. If I try to reset the unit from a powered off state, the loading screen comes on for about 5 seconds and then the unit shuts off. I recall that my AK100 reset function did not operate this way and there was some indication that I had indeed reset my player. Can you help me with this?

Hard resetting is used only when the unit is frozen and unresponsive. To properly hard reset, please press and hold the ON button and the Previous track button (top button on the left side of unit) at the same time for 7+ seconds before letting go of both buttons at the same time. The timing to let go is when the screen goes dark from a frozen screen/state.

6) The alphabetical order of albums displayed on the AK120 begins with number titles and then goes to albums beginning with Z before going to albums beginning with A. Just thought you might like t know.

This issue has been reported to our engineering team already but we will send the message again.

If you have any questions or concerns please email us back at any time.

Thanks & Regards,

iriver Inc.
CS & Tech Support
949-336-4540/1
shop.iriverinc.com

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #5,255 of 7,071
Having seen Judes review of the UI on the AK240 I asked A&K if they could implement a similar on screen volume control on the AK120 with their next firmware update as the one on the 240 looks far more usable. The one on the 120 is useless at the top end of the scale and I use that a lot as I like it set to max when using my external amp. Hopefully they can make it more usable.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #5,256 of 7,071
Search function would be good... in fact us 120 owners are owed some goodies from A&K considering what they did for the AK100 owners, they pretty much gave the AK100 everything the 120 had by way of software.... they might be aiming for a uniform UI throughout the range.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,258 of 7,071
Search function would be good... in fact us 120 owners are owed some goodies from A&K considering what they did for the AK100 owners, they pretty much gave the AK100 everything the 120 had by way of software.... they might be aiming for a uniform UI throughout the range.

The AK240 is running on a totally new Android-based OS while the rest of the older AK players are pure Linux OS. The smooth convenient searches and scrolling and nice UI interactions are courtesy of the Android capability. I'm not sure if it can be ported back to AK100/120. That would mean changing the entire OS over to Android. Not sure if the CPU in AK100/120 can support.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #5,259 of 7,071
The AK240 is running on a totally new Android-based OS while the rest of the older AK players are pure Linux OS. The smooth convenient searches and scrolling and nice UI interactions are courtesy of the Android capability. I'm not sure if it can be ported back to AK100/120. That would mean changing the entire OS over to Android. Not sure if the CPU in AK100/120 can support.

Sorry, you're right... forgot its an entire new OS. They won't be able to implement what it can do on the other devices, my 120 gets hot playing normal tracks at 24/192 let alone with the ability to search and show fancy volume graphics.... it'd blow up or something .lol.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,260 of 7,071
Porting android is certainly possible since it uses the linux kernel. But I doubt they will update the existing models to Android as they will probably lag even more.

Be prepared to see an upgraded version of AK120/100 with upgraded CPU that implements Android tho.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #5,261 of 7,071
Just need any opinion. Does anyone try AK120 with LCD-2 or T1 or HE500? Can this player drive these phones?

I'm just want a simple set only player and phone, no amp, neither portable nor dektop

Thanks

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5,263 of 7,071
  Porting android is certainly possible since it uses the linux kernel. But I doubt they will update the existing models to Android as they will probably lag even more.

Be prepared to see an upgraded version of AK120/100 with upgraded CPU that implements Android tho.

Nah, the AK240 has a half decent processor in it, the AK120 hasn't. Like you said, it'd lag itself to death.

Wondering if we've all jumped on the A&K bandwagon too soon.... going to look see what AK120's are going for secondhand. Was thinking about selling it for an AK240 but I'd want an amp to go with it, I'm crazy but a £2000 device + an amp is insane and sound quality is questionable, the 240 is all UI and OS IMO.... mind is now on a Hugo Chord putting my thoughts on a RW balanced AK120 aside considering the Hugo doesn't do balanced, at least until later.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #5,264 of 7,071
Anyone have any word on the RWAak120? mod. i am looking to improve sound quality, but im on the fence about Needing a external amp as i just want 1 unit that has great sound quality....using the tg334.

also your double amping the ak120 using a external amp correct?

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #5,265 of 7,071
With a stock AK120 you are double amping. On the S mod you are not double amping. the AK120 is not comparable to the S-mod. Then again no other DAP at this point is time is. That goes for even the 901 with its best card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back