The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #5,282 of 7,071
  i have tried to slide up and down using the right side of the screen but am unable to do so,I cannot get it to move up or down any faster or differently although I have heard people say you can!

It is very fiddly - it has always been - but if you try it enough times you can get it to work. It is just (one of many) things iriver need to fix.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #5,284 of 7,071
  It only matters if their customers do. AK 240 has best UI, build and storage in a HiDef player. It also competes for best amp and sound and in a single pocketable package. If other folks could cover every one of these attributes for less, they would and maybe will but until then....

Looking at this Video, IMO the Calyx M has a better graphical UI and better play list management, but....unfortunately it won't be available before few months while the AK240 is available.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #5,285 of 7,071
I really still do not understand is the use of the "Line-Out block"...  !!

According to A&K's manual, It seems to be supposed to take the L & R signal from the 2,5" balanced jack and take the ground...from the SE 3,5" jack !??

But.... Why do we need such bloc since the "balanced 2,5" jack" has already the 4 signals as the manual show.

So.... a Balanced headphone connected to the 2,5" Bal Jack will not get the same signal than a balanced device connected through the "LO Block" ?

Someone.....Any explanation ??

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #5,286 of 7,071
I've had my AK120 Titan for the better of a week now and I have to say that I'm extremely pleased with the SQ out of my W4Rs and DT1350s.   I agree with most, the UI could use some work; mostly with operational fluidity/stability and some minor aesthetics.  I personally don't have the need for much more than Artist, Album, & Song listings;  enhanced scrolling by letter would be nice, so would Battery % Remaining.  

My audio files are very well tagged and organized, and I seem to locate what I want to hear fairly quickly and easily. Every song is 2-3 clicks away, which for me is much quicker than having to type the name into a search box.  If you want to hear a particular song or album, I think most know the artist (or should)...so, do you really need a search feature to suck resources we don't have.  Same goes for the over done User EQ?  A better solution would be the ability to create custom EQ profiles on you computer (if you so desire) and load them into a specified folder for later selection in the UI.  No need to build the interface into the UI on the device in my view.  I think before AK adds more "features", they should work operation fluidity & stability.  

Overall I think the current UI does a serviceable job replicating the basic functionality of an iPhone/iPod with respect to music inventory views and selection.  

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #5,287 of 7,071
I have hundreds of different artists to navigate through and getting from one to another is a real labor and difficulty....i see absolutely no reason why this cant be improved and enhanced so that the experience is not such a chore!

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #5,288 of 7,071
I love the sq, size and overall ease except for the fact that I have to search each folder separately. That is a pain. I started fixings tags that I noticed weren't listed but the numbers of going through thousands of songs and having to check them every time I want to change them is a bit unreasonable.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #5,289 of 7,071
I'm not saying there's no room for improvement, a better scrolling option (by letter A-Z) would help with larger collections.  All my artists, albums, songs show properly under their respective selection option.  I don't use the folder view, but again my folders are well organized/labeled by Artist-Album.

If your music collection is well organized and properly tagged the current UI works well, is simple to use, and provides similar functionality of an iPhone/iPod with respect to music inventory views and selection.  

The search feature seems to be a requirement of those with sloppy music collections who are unable to utilize proper tagging as a means to have the software work as designed.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #5,290 of 7,071
Check the member's lounge - you can get an AK120 for under a thousand dollars. 

**I don't think it is allowed to post links to sales in the general information threads....

To those who have this DAP - is $965 for one of these a no-brainer???

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5,291 of 7,071
  Check the member's lounge - you can get an AK120 for under a thousand dollars. 

**I don't think it is allowed to post links to sales in the general information threads....

To those who have this DAP - is $965 for one of these a no-brainer???

Here are some things to think about:

1) Do you have the scratch to afford it?
2) Do you have the equipment to support it?  Seems like you do.
3) Do you have or plan to acquire a substantial amount 24/96 recordings in the very near future?  If not, there are much cheaper alternatives like the portable rig in my sig (it's for sale)

If 1 is not an issue stop there,  it's a great price.  Otherwise carefully consider #3 

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,292 of 7,071
i have a question for you guys.

i tried using the iriver plus 4 software to load my music into the software... however ALL my music is lossless. and when i load the music, it will have the artist and the albums however it doesnt have the artist name or album title beside the tracks.

this causes the dap to put all the files into ''UNKNOWN'' and everything is mixed together.

i tried loading the whole file from my desktop onto the dap with drag and drop into ''music'' inside the dap, but then i have to go to folders and they are there. 

how do i load lossless files onto the ak120 and have them show up in the dap under artist?

i know i can go in on the iriver plus 4 and add artist and albums. but i have 17,000 files it would take FOREVER add the artist and album titles ect.

any help is greatly apreciated

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #5,293 of 7,071
I gave up on iriver software as found it cumbersome.

I had everything under iTunes already so just copied all the folders over to the SD cards ready for the ak120. On scan it picked up artist and album details.

Or I can go via the folder option and will be laid out as over the folder structure after copying to SD card.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,294 of 7,071
I gave up on iriver software as found it cumbersome.

I had everything under iTunes already so just copied all the folders over to the SD cards ready for the ak120. On scan it picked up artist and album details.

Or I can go via the folder option and will be laid out as over the folder structure after copying to SD card.

i havent gotten my 2 64gb sd cards in yet so im doing this to the internal memory.

it picks up the songs and albums, but i put them in the ''music'' folder when you connect as usb device.

so i can go to folders and it has all my artists and all the artsts albums in there....but not under artist at the home page.?

i must be doing something stupidly wrong..

and i agree with you i hated itunes and this is like a generic itunes so i really hate it. but not sure how to get the artist and albums to show up under artist?

i tried loading the artist straight to the root of the device, but still doesnt come up under artist?

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #5,295 of 7,071
Errmmm did you updated your library from the options?!? (I guess that's what you mean!?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back