The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #106 of 2,262
  For what it's worth I was firmly in the 'never in a million years would I buy this' and then, quite by chance, found myself with no player (yes, I'm that parsimonious I only want one-my iPhone 4 is ok but it's a phone) and a heap of money.

I bought this because of serendipity-try as I might-something went wrong with every deal to replace my Titan. Someone/thing was speaking to me. I needed a player and hadn't heard a decent one for 21 days. I was in withdrawal.

Hum...I am not sure...I would buy neither at current price. Based on the value I attributed to the ak120, i.e. 900$ tops, I would have paid 1.5k$ for the AK240. The AR sounds great but 4 hours battery amd 32g memory? Worth...well 0 to me.

Lol I didn't saw myself buying this either... the plan was to wait until I can demo both this and the Calyx M (and see how X5/DX90 performs) before jumping.  I even managed to dodge the bullet after my first AK240 demo.  But the mistake is to demo it again.  I didn't remember from the first demo it can stand toe-to-toe in SQ with the 901 but the fatal second demo proved me wrong.  And with AK240's much better built, finishing, aesthetic, I  I knew any further resistance is futile inspite of the crazy price.  I would have to agree with warren's view that the AK240 FAR exceeded AK120.  It isn't even a fair comparison, as just I similarly felt AK120 fell way short of hm901's SQ.  

For now, it is the ONLY player that check ALL the boxes for a DAP from SQ to firmware/UI to built quality/aesthetics to feature set for me.  Well the ONLY complaint/wish list I have for the AK240 is the ability to install third party streaming apps like Spotify for having the best SQ possible for my music discovery.  I just wish more manufacturers would continue to improve and innovate so we would have something as good but a lot more affordable.  Say if we can just mix the best from Hifiman, Fiio, and iBasso..... wow!  I can dream, right? 
redface.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #107 of 2,262
Hum...I am not sure...I would buy neither at current price. Based on the value I attributed to the ak120, i.e. 900$ tops, I would have paid 1.5k$ for the AK240. The AR sounds great but 4 hours battery amd 32g memory? Worth...well 0 to me.

Yeah, thats crazy, as I own both the AK100 and 120 (and stated in the intro, LOL) and I was very impressed w/ the AK240 when I heard it at CES.
But I thought a perfect MSRP for it would be $1,495!!
Lol that is hilarious! But you are really a brave soul... I can't even imagine what the Misses would do if she know how much this thing really is!

Enjoy your new purchase and it is really a joy to pair it up with various IEMs and HPs and find how nice they all sound! Loving it with my 1plus2 now
biggrin.gif

this looks like it would be a KILLER combo!!

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #108 of 2,262
  this looks like it would be a KILLER combo!!

It killed my wallet with EXTREME ease..... 
beerchug.gif

but yup, it sounded excellent and I am loving it more and more every day.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #110 of 2,262
Enjoy your new purchase and it is really a joy to pair it up with various IEMs and HPs and find how nice they all sound! Loving it with my 1plus2 now
biggrin.gif

I didn't mention it in the review as I believe the AK240's neutrality to be one of it's strong suits, but I was able to give that pairing a shot.  Quite a bit of impact at the bottom, and the staging is out of this world.  I can't tell from the pics, but are you running silver+gold or Uber?  Looks like Uber.

Yeah, I can see how that would be a tough call.  Still, given the choice, I'd easily take the AK240, because if it's a matter of a DAP failing to meet needs vs a DAP meeting needs but at greater cost, I think the latter wins because the former is a no-go from the start.

Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For what it's worth I was firmly in the 'never in a million years would I buy this' and then, quite by chance, found myself with no player (yes, I'm that parsimonious I only want one-my iPhone 4 is ok but it's a phone) and a heap of money.

But after a few days NO WAY will you/anyone get this from me. It's got a fantastic sound/fantastic fast UI/fantastic potential (I hope).  
Originally Posted by kkcc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol I didn't saw myself buying this either... I would have to agree with warren's view that the AK240 FAR exceeded AK120.  It isn't even a fair comparison, as just I similarly felt AK120 fell way short of hm901's SQ.  

For now, it is the ONLY player that check ALL the boxes for a DAP from SQ to firmware/UI to built quality/aesthetics to feature set for me.

Yeah, I totally agree.  This is one of those cases where a simple SQ audition is not enough.  The real test is how easy it is to give it up, after having used it for a while.  Here's a hint to anyone that is wondering about that:  it's not.  But that's a hard thing to communicate to people, though not for a lack of trying on our part.  Still, I advise that everyone give it a good demo.  If you need to hog the unit at a meet, do it.  Then decide for yourself (which is as it should be anyway).

Now that I think about it, this is a lot like Mac users trying to convince PC users to switch, and that the increased cost is worth it.  Really, you can talk yourself blue in the face.  But until someone uses a Mac, there's a part of the experience that they just won't get.

I just realized if I sold my 901 and ZX1 and Tera I could buy the AK240...not happening.

No, I don't imagine that you would. 
biggrin.gif
  But dayam, that's a lot of DAPs to have at once.  Have you decided which one to keep?  Because, you know, you can't ride two (or three) horses with only one ass.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #111 of 2,262
It's great seeing other people enthused with the product as well.. for a moment I thought my ears were hearing something different, especially when so many people were saying not much difference versus AK120 and HM901.. I certainly didn't think so, though I feel the HM901 is more versatile still, as AK240 has its own character which suits certain genres better and could be 'too smooth'. :) Looking forward to comparing Sony ZX1 next time.

I know the cost is high and the sound is subjective, but pushing the envelope for better sound always comes with a cost IMO.. I'm perfectly fine with the brands exploring at even further price ranges as it provides consumers choice. At least now we have such an option available to buy, whereas in the past, we were limited to HM901/AK120/etc.. 

One always has a choice to buy or not after making their own evaluation. Ultimately there is no perfect DAP to me still, even though the AK240 does provide better performance.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #112 of 2,262
I didn't mention it in the review as I believe the AK240's neutrality to be one of it's strong suits, but I was able to give that pairing a shot.  Quite a bit of impact at the bottom, and the staging is out of this world.  I can't tell from the pics, but are you running silver+gold or Uber?  Looks like Uber.

Yeah, I can see how that would be a tough call.  Still, given the choice, I'd easily take the AK240, because if it's a matter of a DAP failing to meet needs vs a DAP meeting needs but at greater cost, I think the latter wins because the former is a no-go from the start.

No, I don't imagine that you would.  :D   But dayam, that's a lot of DAPs to have at once.  Have you decided which one to keep?  Because, you know, you can't ride two (or three) horses with only one ass.

I think he is using Silver gold in this case.

I was all the more pissed at the price that the AK240 is THE DAP I was waiting for. I just wanted an AK120 with 901 SQ, and the AK240 brings that, more or less, with dramatically improved UI. Honestly, I could afford it, not easily, but I could. On principle though, I just feel AK is thinking there is no limit to what we will pay to have what they branded as "the ultimate". And for some reason I could accept the AK120 price and this is pushing it. I am sure it is worth it if you consider it in a certain way, but I opted for the Hugo instead as I listen mostly at home or the office, and ZX1 and Tera are perfect for on the go. If Hugo is good enough, the 901 might go.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #113 of 2,262
I think he is using Silver gold in this case.

I was all the more pissed at the price that the AK240 is THE DAP I was waiting for. I just wanted an AK120 with 901 SQ, and the AK240 brings that, more or less, with dramatically improved UI. Honestly, I could afford it, not easily, but I could. On principle though, I just feel AK is thinking there is no limit to what we will pay to have what they branded as "the ultimate". And for some reason I could accept the AK120 price and this is pushing it. I am sure it is worth it if you consider it in a certain way, but I opted for the Hugo instead as I listen mostly at home or the office, and ZX1 and Tera are perfect for on the go. If Hugo is good enough, the 901 might go.

There is definitely some value in having an all in one solution.. think of the convenience! One dap for all casual listening, and desktop rig covers everything else..

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #114 of 2,262
Not to anyone specific but just a gentle reminder from Post #2:

Quote:
Thank you V0.

Subscribers please keep this thread clean. It's for owners & demo-ers to post their impressions, and for prospectors who have genuine, legitimate & practical questions about the player. Realistic information (such has upcoming firmware features, etc or 3rd party accessories or supporting services also welcome here.

Price, design, & usability complaints from speculators & non-owners please don't post in this thread.

Owners OTOH who have legitimate complaints or wishlist (post experiencing the product naturally) are fine in posting/sharing their thoughts here though.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #115 of 2,262
Feb 27, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #116 of 2,262
I own an AK120 and I often use it to play DSD files thru my Denon receiver via the optical out
The manual of the AK240 seems to say it will not play DSD files thru the optical port
This would really be a major block for me because I have a lot of DSD files and outputting to my speakers via the receiver is very important
Has anyone tested this ?
Thanks in advance

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #117 of 2,262
I own an AK120 and I often use it to play DSD files thru my Denon receiver via the optical out

The manual of the AK240 seems to say it will not play DSD files thru the optical port

This would really be a major block for me because I have a lot of DSD files and outputting to my speakers via the receiver is very important

Has anyone tested this ?
Thanks in advance

I think this is a license issue. I'm not aware of any digital source which is allowed to output sacd/dsd data over digital out. The AK1x0 may do this because they convert audio data to PCM.

Anyways, call me crazy but I took the plunge and ordered one today as soon as I saw a swiss shop having one in stock! :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #118 of 2,262

Yea it's the silver+gold cable. Though I am asking Gavin if he would be furnishing Tralucent cables with a quality 2.5mm trrs termination. My wallet is gonna die a few more horrible deaths I'm afraid. :p

The sound stage is really really good with this combo. The amazing part is that the sound feels wide but substantial at the same time. A lot of the times an expanded sound stage would sound empty/hollow or have an echo chamber feel to it, but this combo kept the density despite the width and depth it projected and sounded really as speaker-seque as an IEM had sounded to me thus far. Impressive stage, great transparency and nicely textured and impactful bass, and extended but refined and control treble. :D I was hoping to rotate through my IEMs with AK240 but seems like the 1plus2 had kept me going back for that "just one more track".....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back