The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Aug 17, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #706 of 1,380
@ rayk , nice review than , LOL
wink_face.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #707 of 1,380
I'm quite new to hifi audio and this is my 2nd pair of IEM.

I've listened to my SM3 for a few days now..

I was amazed going from cheapo sonys to the RE0. But damn... It was the same feeling again going from RE0 to these!

I tried A/B ing the re0 and sm3 before and the difference is simply amazing...the re0 sound so weak, thin and lifeless compared to the SM3.

Glad I bought this - I don't think I need any other IEM now...

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #708 of 1,380
@rrt0000 , Hi ,and welcome to head fi ,so the SM3 blows the reo out off the water then ?

Great choice for a second iem ,might as well jump in at the top ,Glad you like them .
regular_smile .gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #709 of 1,380
Though I haven't had much time with the SM3 yet - I would say they blow the re0 out of the water and past the moon..
I hope to have some more time today to A/B the 2 today..but from the song I compared yesterday it seemed as though the re0 couldn't keep up to speed and got messy sounding - not producing all the details I heard when listening to the SM3? (I'm not sure if this makes sense at all....I'll listen again today).

The difference in bass was huge as well...but the SM3 is not overwhelming at all- it just sounds "right".

I'm finding it hard to articulate in words what I hear...haha.. Not sure how all you people do it.

But I lie about not needing another IEM...
is here anything around $100 that might have the same sound signature? Been eyeing the phonak perfect bass.. I might need a cheapo pair for when I do indoor rockclimbig/gym..

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #711 of 1,380
Received the Sensorcom tips frm Bennyboy(thanks Ben) ystrdy and have been a/b ing with the grey bi-flanges with and without the suggested cut recmnd by Franck.
Prefer them in this order Sensorcoms>grey b-flngs>cut grey b-flngs
The cut grey b-flngs does not give me a good seal and the SM3 sits awkwardly.
The Snsrcom tips takes away the digital edginess and renders it a more analogue sound, love it .
Caveat, determining the correct length on the stem will require several attempts .

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #712 of 1,380
You know I have been playing around and A/B testing a lot of my music using the EQ tweak photofan suggested and I have to say the more I listen, the more brilliant those settings are. I am going to wait and see how I like the slightly adjusted midrange with my MTPC's but it simply elevates all my music (from classical to rock) to as close to perfection I have ever heard using the SM3. If those settings work OK for the MTPC I will remake all my MP3's using that tweak with Reaper (Thanks for the tip anomalouscode Reaper rocks for what I wanted to do).

BTW with all the talk about tips I am still willing to send a pair of these earplugs I bought for FREE to someone else who has a set of spacers kicking around (all you have to pay for is shipping). They are nigh on perfect for me as a tip, I wear them for hours without even noticing them in my ears, they block sound like crazy, and when set level with the end of the spacer have zero impact on the treble.

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #713 of 1,380

Quote:

On the subject of tips, I emailed Franck at Earsonics today, as follows:

Hi Franck

I just wanted to thank you for making the amazing SM3 - I love it!!  Its the best universal iem I have heard.

Are you planning to do a SM4? :wink:

Also, I have a question for you:

When I got my SM3 from Handheld Audio earlier this year, it came with a pair of white double flange tips that are different to the grey ones you now supply.  

They were similar to the Sensorcom alpine dual flange tips, but slightly larger.

Do you know where you got those from and if you have any more lying around?  I love the Sensorcom tips (a lot more than the grey tips you now supply - sorry!) but it would be good to see if there are larger versions available out there, since Sensorcom only supply them in one size.

If you really want SM3 users to hear them at their best, I'd suggest shipping them with either the Sensorcom tips (http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?P_ID=1142&PT_ID=348) or something equally as great sounding.  I donbt think the grey dual flange tips you send are the best really.

Thanks
Ben

and shortly afterwards received the following reply:

Thanks a lot Ben,

We don't plan to do a SM4..

For the tips, We had 2 generations of proprietary grey tips.

They have been modified to have better fixing on the SM3 nozzle, they are the best compromise (they don't stay in the ear after use, having a larger sound tube without sliding from the nozzle)

[size=small]it's possible to cut the tips to have short longer having the same sound result than the 1 generation (let see the picture attached).Like this the nozzle will come only on the large part of tube without to much longer.[/size]

[size=small]Sincerely,[/size]
Franck Lopez
EarSonics SAS

While its great that Franck is so, um, frank in his response, I do think Its a bit of a shame that only the grey silicones and Comply (makes sign of cross with fingers) tips are included with the SM3. Personally, I never had an issue with the old white dual flanges staying put on the nozzles, nor do I have any problems with the sensorcoms, so I'm a little puzzled by his comment about coming off in the ear.  Maybe they had complaints?  

I threw my stock greys away recently, so havent got chance to try the cutting mod he recommends above, so could anyone verify how the sound changes when doing this?

Hey bennyboy71, i received your sensorcom tips already! Like finally. ahahaha. The sensorcom tips is working well for me. Treble improved and i also feel that it open up the soundstage alittle more and also more airy and spacious! It's also very comfortable as the material itself is very soft, much more comfortable than the stock silicon tips. The trimming of the stem plays a part though. The first pair i accidentally trim it too short, thus it doesn't fit properly into my ear and the sound was horrible. ahahaha.

Btw, i tried cutting the stem of the stock silicon tips already, i feel that there's no change at all. :S.. Maybe some others can try and verify it.

Do you still have any more sensorcom tips? Might get a few more pairs from you..

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #714 of 1,380

Quote:

On the subject of tips, I emailed Franck at Earsonics today, as follows:

Hi Franck

I just wanted to thank you for making the amazing SM3 - I love it!!  Its the best universal iem I have heard.

Are you planning to do a SM4? :wink:

Also, I have a question for you:

When I got my SM3 from Handheld Audio earlier this year, it came with a pair of white double flange tips that are different to the grey ones you now supply.  

They were similar to the Sensorcom alpine dual flange tips, but slightly larger.

Do you know where you got those from and if you have any more lying around?  I love the Sensorcom tips (a lot more than the grey tips you now supply - sorry!) but it would be good to see if there are larger versions available out there, since Sensorcom only supply them in one size.

If you really want SM3 users to hear them at their best, I'd suggest shipping them with either the Sensorcom tips (http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?P_ID=1142&PT_ID=348) or something equally as great sounding.  I donbt think the grey dual flange tips you send are the best really.

Thanks
Ben

and shortly afterwards received the following reply:

Thanks a lot Ben,

We don't plan to do a SM4..

For the tips, We had 2 generations of proprietary grey tips.

They have been modified to have better fixing on the SM3 nozzle, they are the best compromise (they don't stay in the ear after use, having a larger sound tube without sliding from the nozzle)

[size=small]it's possible to cut the tips to have short longer having the same sound result than the 1 generation (let see the picture attached).Like this the nozzle will come only on the large part of tube without to much longer.[/size]

[size=small]Sincerely,[/size]
Franck Lopez
EarSonics SAS

While its great that Franck is so, um, frank in his response, I do think Its a bit of a shame that only the grey silicones and Comply (makes sign of cross with fingers) tips are included with the SM3. Personally, I never had an issue with the old white dual flanges staying put on the nozzles, nor do I have any problems with the sensorcoms, so I'm a little puzzled by his comment about coming off in the ear.  Maybe they had complaints?  

I threw my stock greys away recently, so havent got chance to try the cutting mod he recommends above, so could anyone verify how the sound changes when doing this?

I personally had a problem with the first generation dual-flanges getting stuck in my ear and the SM3 coming out leaving the tip in my ear. I E-Mailed Franck about this before. It actually happened twice with me.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #718 of 1,380

Quote:
I tried A/B ing the re0 and sm3 before and the difference is simply amazing...the re0 sound so weak, thin and lifeless compared to the SM3.

Reminds me of the Clip+ versus the Sflo2.  Woops, wrong thread.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #719 of 1,380

Quote:
X2 , Welcome to SM3 world of audio heaven 
L3000.gif

Thanks lucozade!
dt880smile.png

To be honest, I felt my DDM's were better when listening to the SM3 out of the box, I didn't start liking them until after around 8hrs of burn-in with pink noise and another 6 hours of audio playback.

All this sensorcom talk has got me curious about these tips! Looking forward to trying these out when I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back