TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #1,786 of 1,851
Between the 2, which one would you say has better quantity and quality bass?
From memory I think Totem have better quality bass, while Ripples more mid-bass but I might be wrong. I would need to check it.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #1,787 of 1,851
Totem is technically more capable with better separation and details retrieval. Vocals are excellent. Sub-bass is pretty good. Also, for example, Serratus in comparison has a wider soundstage than Totem which sounds more balanced and immersive. Totem is hard to drive.

Regarding Ripples, Imaging and staging are more intimate. It's mid-bass focused with fantastic dynamics. Pretty good contrast with good macro and micro details. It works really with fast paced genres.
These are exactly my impressions from owning both.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #1,788 of 1,851
From Instagram...

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 8.27.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 8.27.58 PM.png

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #1,790 of 1,851
Now, a hundred million dollars question - how does it compare to the other earbuds in the line-up?

Just a side grade to, let's say, Sunniva?
A different tuning?
It's on the website with a small description and Early Bird Discount.

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #1,794 of 1,851
Just a teaser as I will update and add a couple photos but I’ve had the Revelstoke for the last week.

I’ve been pretty busy at work so I haven’t had a ton of time to compare and only have the DS to compare to and hope to spend more time this weekend.

I’m not one to do formal reviews, more anecdotal recounting so sorry for that but this is one.

Coming from the DS as my only transducer, the Revelstoke had a thicker sounding quality. A bit of
boost in the 100-300hz’ish range (with middle C on a piano being 256hz). Piano music lacked some clarity compared to the DS.. The boost fooled me into hearing a closer stage and less depth.
I say fooled me because once I got some time on them and figured out the volume, (they are easier to drive) they revealed a warmth and a tonality that did sound more intimate but with “air” drifting off in the distance. They become open sounding and very “real”. I’ll get into it more later.

Tonight, after a week away from the DS, I thought to compare on some Eva Cassidy as the Revelstoke are advertised as a “vocal” set and Eva’s angelic voice seemed a good test. The DS sounded as I remember, with accurate timbre and lovely tone. Then I switched to the Revelstoke and not so much difference from the opening guitar but from the first notes of her voice I uttered “oh my god” under my breath. Her voice just sounded fantastic. The Revelstoke highlights vocals in a glorious way.

Jim delivers again.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #1,795 of 1,851
I thought to compare on some Eva Cassidy as the Revelstoke are advertised as a “vocal” set and Eva’s angelic voice seemed a good test. The DS sounded as I remember, with accurate timbre and lovely tone. Then I switched to the Revelstoke and not so much difference from the opening guitar but from the first notes of her voice I uttered “oh my god” under my breath. Her voice just sounded fantastic. The Revelstoke highlights vocals in a glorious way.

Jim delivers again.
Thanks, this gets me even more excited for Revelstoke. Preordered on Monday after Jim posted a little more about the tuning on his Insta.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #1,796 of 1,851
..after Jim posted a little more about the tuning on his Insta.

I guess you mean this comment, right?

Jim wrote:
Between DS and Revy, the Revelstoke is the more colored, slightly more elevated at both ends of the frequency response.
The biggest difference between these two is the tuning of the mids. The Revy is more relaxed from 2-4kHz and even in the lower mids to bass which pushes the stage back a bit.
DS has slightly lighter note weight and more timbral contrast.
Technicalities are about par.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #1,798 of 1,851
Love these two.

IMG_7445.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg
I’m so stoked to get my Revelstoke! And my DS back as I had him turn mine into a steel version with black sand 🤩

Looking forward to your Revelstoke impressions!

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #1,799 of 1,851
Feb 17, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,800 of 1,851
Just a teaser as I will update and add a couple photos but I’ve had the Revelstoke for the last week.

I’ve been pretty busy at work so I haven’t had a ton of time to compare and only have the DS to compare to and hope to spend more time this weekend.

I’m not one to do formal reviews, more anecdotal recounting so sorry for that but this is one.

Coming from the DS as my only transducer, the Revelstoke had a thicker sounding quality. A bit of
boost in the 100-300hz’ish range (with middle C on a piano being 256hz). Piano music lacked some clarity compared to the DS.. The boost fooled me into hearing a closer stage and less depth.
I say fooled me because once I got some time on them and figured out the volume, (they are easier to drive) they revealed a warmth and a tonality that did sound more intimate but with “air” drifting off in the distance. They become open sounding and very “real”. I’ll get into it more later.

Tonight, after a week away from the DS, I thought to compare on some Eva Cassidy as the Revelstoke are advertised as a “vocal” set and Eva’s angelic voice seemed a good test. The DS sounded as I remember, with accurate timbre and lovely tone. Then I switched to the Revelstoke and not so much difference from the opening guitar but from the first notes of her voice I uttered “oh my god” under my breath. Her voice just sounded fantastic. The Revelstoke highlights vocals in a glorious way.

Jim delivers again.
Wow, I just ordered one, my first TGX bud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back