TGXEAR discussion thread.
Nov 2, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,741 of 1,869
I don't use any EQ for SBS and Ripples - YMMV I guess!

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #1,743 of 1,869
My full review of the Desolation Sound is posted here:

TGXear Desolation Sound – Music Comes Alive

The TGXear Desolation Sound create an immersive musical experience that sounds all too real, breaking the confinements of small-sized portable transducers.​

DS-5.jpeg

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #1,744 of 1,869
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,745 of 1,869
Great review! I read it a few days ago or maybe it was yesterday…haha. Thanks for sharing, one of my most favorite buds!
Yeah it was published yesterday :D

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #1,750 of 1,869
Which model would be best for me if I listen to metal and jazz, and like instrument separation and detail?

I heard that Jim does sales on 11.11, so looking forward to it.
I can only speak about jazz: either Ripples or SBS. Both have good imaging. Ripples has better microdynamics and hence be perceived as detailed. SBS has better treble and bigger stage

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,751 of 1,869
I can only speak about jazz: either Ripples or SBS. Both have good imaging. Ripples has better microdynamics and hence be perceived as detailed. SBS has better treble and bigger stage

I would be interested to hear how you feel SBS improves on Ripples treble if you get a moment.

My other thought for metal might be (Red) Serratus but only from a warm and powerful source. Warm to soften the treble spike and powerful to bring out its separating quality.

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #1,752 of 1,869
So right now my collection of TGX is: Alpha, Tantalus, Totem, Tofino and Sunniva. I haven't listened to the Sunniva yet but I can say all the TGX buds I've listened to are wonders.
Also I confess I've been a bit of a difficult custommer with Jim (took me a while to know my own self, now I know I tend to prefer warmer sound etc) but he's been so good, kind and generous, I can only repeat here: Jim you're such a treasure and thanks again !!!

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #1,753 of 1,869
So right now my collection of TGX is: Alpha, Tantalus, Totem, Tofino and Sunniva. I haven't listened to the Sunniva yet but I can say all the TGX buds I've listened to are wonders.
Also I confess I've been a bit of a difficult custommer with Jim (took me a while to know my own self, now I know I tend to prefer warmer sound etc) but he's been so good, kind and generous, I can only repeat here: Jim you're such a treasure and thanks again !!!

Indeed, an asset to the earbud community and just a lovely chap all around.

How do you find Totem for classical? What does it offer vs the other models, let's say for example, Alpha?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #1,754 of 1,869
Indeed, an asset to the earbud community and just a lovely chap all around.

How do you find Totem for classical? What does it offer vs the other models, let's say for example, Alpha?
I should really A/B to give a good answer but from memory the Totem has better resolution. It's the most neutral to my ears of them all without sounding thin whatsoever.

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #1,755 of 1,869
I should really A/B to give a good answer but from memory the Totem has better resolution. It's the most neutral to my ears of them all without sounding thin whatsoever.

I thought that might be the case. Great to hear it doesn't suffer from a thin note. If Jim ever makes another run of these I'll go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back