TGXEAR discussion thread.
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #1,036 of 1,851
Everyone commenting about the bass, what about the simple design & cost? I like my ripples and love the way they sound, but I tend to think they don't feel premium and they are very expensive
this seems a common opinion mostly of our american friends, that expensive stuff needs to be big, bold and blingbling. Honestly i want to pay for sound only, dont care at all which material my headphones are made of. but must be a german thing, look at the beyers, simple sturdy industrial, thats all we need over here :beyersmile:

Speaking of expensive, thats another point i see often complaining from the same people. why would one call any TGXear offering expensive? I would call an Sennheiser Orpheus expensive, but maybe its still worth it (havent heard it yet). Is it because they are earbuds and they are small? why should that impact price? Look at a hifiman, the materials might cost under 100 $ but people spend thousands. is it because of the materials? i guess not. Its all about the sound. So if an earbud sounds the way that you can enjoy it as much as an over ear, why should it be too expensive? Is there any other open headphone over ear or open back iem, that costs less and delivers the same sound? If so, let us know please.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,037 of 1,851
I no longer have a dog in this fight, but to clarify:

1. I'm not American (perhaps stereotyping is not cool in 2023, especially from a German :wink: ). Nottingham is in the UK.
  2. I think the overall sound quality is on par with the similarly priced 7hz timeless and behind cheaper headphones such as the grado sr80e / sr80x.
  3. "expensive" is very subjective. These are, in my subjective opinion, expensive.
  4. my very next post stated " I know that this does not equate to their finished value & the time taken to tune etc"
This really is my final post on this thread. Again, I'm glad you are enjoying your ear buds.

"Be excellent to each other" as Bill & Ted would probably say.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,038 of 1,851
*duplicate post*

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #1,039 of 1,851

1. I'm not American (perhaps stereotyping is not cool in 2023, especially from a German :wink: ). Nottingham is in the UK.
  2. I think the overall sound quality is on par with the similarly priced 7hz timeless and behind cheaper headphones such as the grado sr80e / sr80x.
  3. "expensive" is very subjective. These are, in my subjective opinion, expensive.
This really is my final post on this thread. Again, I'm glad you are enjoying your ear buds.

You have never said anything bad about the sound quality. Even if you had said something bad about it, what's the big deal about it. It's your opinion and it's your money. Honest opinion without any ill intention is your right. But again, you only have pointed out that you are not that satisfied with that plastic build quality of the shells. I'm sure there will be many more who may have similar opinion. So you are absolutely fine with your opinion. I'm sure your honest feedback will encourage the manufacturer to build his future products with more premium ness.

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #1,040 of 1,851

4. my very next post stated " I know that this does not equate to their finished value & the time taken to tune etc"

i did not mean it offensive and did not say you are american, but said, ioften read it from my american friends. keep in mind, tgxear is an american brand, so again absolutely no offense here.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #1,041 of 1,851

I'm sorry the Ripples didn't work out for you, but onwards and upwards! It's important to share our experiences, good and bad.

Echo'ing Bill & Teds sentiment!

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #1,042 of 1,851
TGXEAR is actually a Ca
i did not mean it offensive and did not say you are american, but said, ioften read it from my american friends. keep in mind, tgxear is an american brand, so again absolutely no offense here.
Tgxear is actually a Canadian brand.

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #1,043 of 1,851
I just listed my Serratus in the classifieds... a sad day:slight_frown:

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #1,046 of 1,851
I have the Moondrop Venus with the thiccck 6N 'Line W' balanced cable. Other than the technicality department, tonality is better on the Serratus. Easier to drive as well, and enjoyable with the Moondrop Dawn. (Although putting them on a desktop setup would 'sound' better.) Overall, I would prefer the Serratus than the Venus for listening sessions.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #1,047 of 1,851
Attended meet today to which I have brought my Serratus.
Damn these scale fantastic with good tube amp.

Attachments

• IMG_20230401_170156-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230401_170156-01.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230401_161216.jpg
    IMG_20230401_161216.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,048 of 1,851
Attended meet today to which I have brought my Serratus.
Damn these scale fantastic with good tube amp.
Ooh, I hadn’t thought about trying them with tubes. Not that I have a tube amp right now anyway, but I don’t need too much of an excuse to try one. I wouldn’t mind adding just a touch of note weight or thickness (still learning the terms) to the Serratus’ sound - might tubes aid in that?

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #1,049 of 1,851
Ooh, I hadn’t thought about trying them with tubes. Not that I have a tube amp right now anyway, but I don’t need too much of an excuse to try one. I wouldn’t mind adding just a touch of note weight or thickness (still learning the terms) to the Serratus’ sound - might tubes aid in that?

Yes, my Valhalla 2 does a great job of improving noteweight and dynamics on the Serratus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back