TGXEAR discussion thread.
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #196 of 1,871
Serratus is a beast of a transducer

Yeah, the detail retrieval is second-to-none and it's just a great all-rounder. Awaiting with bated breath what's to come out of the TGXear labs :D.

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #199 of 1,871
Anyone could tell me how Tantalus compared to Fiio EM5? Who is bigger in sub bas and mid bas region?The first has a fully beryllium diaphragm, the last has a beryllium coat on diaphragm of unknown material
Hummm. The EM5 is lots of fun but it’s just a weirdly balanced earbud don’t you find ?
It has strange peaks and also super sensitive and hiss prone.
Not sure who is bigger in sub bass but the Alpha and Serratus are fuller grander meatier sounding earbuds IMHO.
Alpha is more velvety compared to the Serratus by the way.
Serratus is more « analytical » sounding but not in a bad way.
I’m going to get the Tentalus now that i can attest that Alpha and Serratus are NOT redundant and different enough to justify having both.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #201 of 1,871
Are you going to get the Tentalus soon ?

When money allows, most definitely. I want to hear more from these Be drivers. In the meantime, I'm still jiving with the Alpha (+ Serratus)!

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #202 of 1,871
Hi everyone!

For the past 2 years I've been on a IEM binge. Have gone through about 30 sets and finally happy with a few keepers.

Now I've seen a few earbuds that have peaked my interest lol. The Serratus has been getting lots of praise. But another set that seems like a good option is the fiio FF3. Just wanted to see if anyone could explain what the jump up in quality would be if I went for the Serratus?

One concern i would have is the fit. I remember that older wired Apple buds always hurt my ears after about 10-15 minutes of listening. Are newer models like these mentioned any better in comfort for you guys?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #203 of 1,871
Sorry to tell you but if the old apple buds hurt your ears after 15 minutes of use buds like the Serratus and or the FF3 will probably be just like them old apple buds. These might be a touch bulkier actually if I remember correct.

That is one of the unfortunate aspects of buds. They are universal but not really universal. You have to have a medium to large sized overall shape to the ear to get comfort from these. Most smaller eared folks will find some discomfort when using a bud. I have a good buddy that would love to get himself a Serratus but he has the same issue with buds so it is a no go for him as well.

The difference between something like the FF3 and the Serratus. FF3s are more leaning towards a consumer type sound profile. They would fit more in the fun category of earbuds. They are more like a guilty pleasure type listen. Big deep reaching bass with good body with a large stage to its tuning.. I recently did a review for Fiio for them and they do sound spectacular for certain genres and are ok for music that requires more precision and tonal accuracy. However,

The Serratus is playing on a different playing field when it comes to tonal accuracy and is more neutrally accurate in all parts of its tuning. Balanced better than the FF3, better treble extension and has the superior timbre for instruments over the FF3. The Serratus sounds like a very high end reference type headphone.

FF3 is an excellent bud as they can be bought for less than a $100 and for the price Fiio is charging for them. They are a blast to listen to. But once you hear orchestral scores using the Serratus you can't unhear it. Lol. It is amazing if not just out right stupendous.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #204 of 1,871
What’s up with “ripples” - I saw you’re making some new/upcoming set. Did I miss that in this thread?

Oct 25, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #206 of 1,871
Any hints about what it will be like? I was thinking once I get mine and listen - if I really like it I would be interested in perhaps pay a little more and give you some artistic freedom to create something custom… higher end cable and more.

As buds I can’t go wrong with fit, what holds be back getting some IEM’s

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #207 of 1,871
By the way, I don’t believe in “never EQing” simply because so many old recordings are way off the pleasure curve. In my short experience the Serratus takes EQ like an effing champ !
Using the Schiit Loki mini plus or whatever it’s called now, I‘ve tailored the tone to bliss.
Mainly toning down the mids and boy ooooo boy !
I hope this doesn’t come off as a criticism against the buds because they are absolutely fantastic.
Also using HEAVY crossfeed which is necessary on some older recording, and again: beautiful.
I’m a total fan, absolute total fan.
Tentalus coming my way soon, I’ve decided to go full home run, they are that precious.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #208 of 1,871
Sweet soulful sounds on the Alpha this evening. I still can't get over how natural the instruments and vocals are. The perfect balance of low-end weight, vocal presence and transparency. Then there's the imaging...an example on this song, from about 3:00 onwards there's a very quiet vocal track off to the front-right and the placement feels truly 'distant', well beyond arms reach...a real psychoacoustic effect at play.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #209 of 1,871
D2054E12-05C1-4DD0-ABA0-B59796E34C1F.jpeg
Thank you @tgx78 Frosted clear: Serratus, Blue: Tantalus, Red: Alpha

I will be receiving these beauties soon all thanks to TgxEar! I’m so stoked to hear these for the first time. I’ll be posting impressions as soon as I do! 🤩

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #210 of 1,871
Hi everyone!

For the past 2 years I've been on a IEM binge. Have gone through about 30 sets and finally happy with a few keepers.

Now I've seen a few earbuds that have peaked my interest lol. The Serratus has been getting lots of praise. But another set that seems like a good option is the fiio FF3. Just wanted to see if anyone could explain what the jump up in quality would be if I went for the Serratus?

One concern i would have is the fit. I remember that older wired Apple buds always hurt my ears after about 10-15 minutes of listening. Are newer models like these mentioned any better in comfort for you guys?
I will say as someone who has absolutely no problem with mx500 or ok or bell shaped buds, I absolutely could not wear og apple buds for long without pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back