Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #796 of 17,336

Quote:
Personally I believe that he doesn't want to alienate his customer base.

I agree with this statement. He is in the business of making money. And if you are happy with the way your amp has improved, of course he is going to agree with it. 

May 14, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #797 of 17,336
Heidigger, are you actually postulating that because he claims he hears a difference, but he can't measure any changes, that there must be something changing in the amp that we can't measure?

This is hopeless...

May 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #798 of 17,336

Quote:
aside from the small magnitude of the effects in solid state electronics a logical problem with physical theories of burn-in is why does it Always result in subjective sonic Improvement?

Because the grass is always greener- not browner?  The audiophile community (and any other higher-end fanatical hobby) has to accept the idea of different- not just better.  But that's often not enough when you're shelling out huge amounts of money or trying to appease egos.

May 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #799 of 17,336

Quote:
Heidigger, are you actually postulating that because he claims he hears a difference, but he can't measure any changes, that there must be something changing in the amp that we can't measure?

This is hopeless...

Agreed, placebo etc is too easily dismissed.

Harman Int have found differences with blind and sighted testing, using the same source/amp and different speakers, so the eyes have caused the difference, not the equipment.

It is worth noting that blind testing produces smaller differences than sighted, which would go towards confirming the tendency of ABX tests to find smaller differences than those where people can see what is being changed. This test invloves speakers, where ABX testing finds the biggest difference. I am sure if we had a graph of four cables on test, we would have an ABX which is flat lined, but sighted testing by those who say cables cause differences all over the place.

Full report by Sean Olive here

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

May 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #800 of 17,336
It's pro forma for audio reviewers to mention that the amp under review has so many hours of burn in time. Very often the review proceeds to describe the sound of the amp before and after the burn in period. Why do so many people experience this phenomenon, or think they experience it? From where does the belief arise? The answer repeatedly given here: if you expect to hear a difference, you inevitably will hear a difference. People's ears are led astray by their eyes, and also by biases and expectations. The placebo effect and expectation bias are real phenomena; that can't be denied. Ethan mentions comb filtering. These are all plausible explanations, but they have not been proven to be the major causes.  A few posts back, Nick Charles asked Norbert Lehmann, the manufacturer of the respected and well reviewed Black Cube Linear Headphone Amplifier, about burn in. This was Lehmann's response:

[size=11pt]Dear Dr. Charles,[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]thank you for contacting me in this matter. I experience sound improvements in several aspects over time, at least for some weeks.  To me it does not matter where the effects come from. What I guess to be  very important is the overall thermal stability of the circuit. There are, however, _no_ differences to be measured at least with my Audio Precision ATS2  which is a very nice unit for production tests but no real state of the art unit like the 2700 type. [/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]This is a rather unacademic approach for an engineer - but it helps. Sorry that I can't  supply a more satisfying answer. [/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]With kind regards from Germany[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]Norbert Lehmann[/size]

What a surprising statement! This person who designs and produces amplifiers, who would have more experience with amps than probably all of us on this thread, confirms that he experiences "sound improvements in several aspects over time, at least for some weeks." The statement is extraordinary. I expect for the average person to be taken in by the sound of a given amp, but I find it more difficult to believe that the guy who has the most experience with this particular amp, confirms that he also experiences an improvement "in several  aspects" over a period of weeks. As a possible explanation, Lehmann guesses the "overall thermal stability of the circuit." He could not measure these improvements with the equipment on hand, though hastens to add that the equipment wasn't necessarily the best for the purpose. Placebo, expectation bias, comb filtering -- none of these sounds convincing in this case. The accusation is then made that the manufacturer is lying. Lehmann is keeping the myth of burn-in alive because it helps him sell more amps. I thought about -- and discarded -- that latter possibility. Just based on his note, I didn't get that impression. I believe it when he says that he's experiencing sound improvements. I keep going back to his statement about the overall thermal stability of the circuit. Can this stability vary or improve over time depending on how often the amp has been turned on or used, and why does it happen for only x number of hours before it reaches a certain stability? It basically has to do with how well it can conduct the signal?

I believe he means it too, in the absence of any other evidence. But note that he says (emphasis added):

To me it does not matter where the effects come from.

This says to me that engineer or no, he's as much in thrall to the mythologies of the audiophile community as any weekend hobbyist. His being an engineer and good at his work doesn't confer some special accuracy in respect to his personal experience of the equipment. The very fact that there's something that he hears but can't measure and has no idea how it comes about says that he's speaking as an audiophile, not as an engineer at that moment. It's not like it's not possible to build very good equipment and share the community's biases and beliefs

May 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #801 of 17,336
Sean Olive's blog is great - I have to say he impresses me, although I certainly am not a fan of what Harman has done to the Infinity brand... 

May 15, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #802 of 17,336
Indeed manufacturers do not agree on burn in. Here are the replies the Spanish site Matrix-hifi got when they asked speaker makers about burn in. I like Thiel's response of 'audiophiles says 30 hours'! Asking one hifi manufacturer about an issue and using their response to justify your position is poor evidence gathering. Here Matrix-hifi have gathered a lot of evidence.

Manufacturer
Simplified Reply
First Reply
Second Reply
Factory Burnt In?
New Form Research
+ 100 hours
3 or 4 hrs during 4 weeks

NO
Thiel
Iinvalid reply
Audiophiles says 30 hours

NO
Apex
Iinvalid reply
Use it for a while

No reply
ScanSpeak
Almost immediately
5 minutes with signal tone
1 month using music
NO
ATC
Almost immediately
Unnecessary, speaker’s ready when leaves the factory

NO
Vifa
Invalid reply

NO
Beyma
Almost immediately
30 minutes with signal tone
About a week with music
NO
Visatón
Almost immediately
Pushing membrane a few times at the most

No reply
Manger
24 hours
Our speakers are burnt in at the factory during 24 hrs, we cannot find any difference after this period.

YES
Madisound
+ 100 hours
5 to 6 days at the speaker’s resonance frec.

NO
Meniscus Audio Group
Iinvalid reply

No reply
Acoustic Elegante
Almost immediately
Burnt in in the first minutes of use

NO
JBL Pro
Almost immediately
Short, if any, burn in period

NO
Eminence Speaker
+ 1.000 hours
Speaker will burn in forever

NO
Audiothechnology
+ 1.000 hours
Depending on the cone material and its compliance

NO
HiVi - Swan Speaker Systems
24 hours
18 to 24 hrs

NO
Jordan
Iinvalid reply

No reply
Adire Audio
Almost immediately
About one minute

NO
Orca Design
+ 1.000 hours
Depending on the cone material:
- Paper cones 1 min
- Treated paper or plastic 1 week
- Silk Dome Tweeters 2 weeks
- Metal domes several monthes
- Ribbon tweeters a few minutes
- Plastic tweeters about 1 week
1 minute 1 watt, then 1 minute to max AES power
NO
Morel USA
+ 100 hours
Most of the cones 2-3 weeks, some needs hours and others 2 to 3 monthes

NO
HIQUPHON
Almost immediately
No need for burn in

NO

Of course, we do not know how audible burn in is from the above.

May 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #803 of 17,336
hey idc prog rock man
beyersmile.png
, i've found ya:)..

wow, just had a quick look through this thread and i can see you've really put some time and effort into it, fair play to you for that.

i'll have a good read over the coming days and see what i can learn, i may even have something to add
wink.gif

May 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #804 of 17,336
Hi Max, glad you found us.

The original version of this thread was put onto the What Hifi forum, but deleted, as we know they do to any thread which asks too many difficult questions, let alone those that attempt to provide some reasoned answers, with lots of lovely evidence!

May 15, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #805 of 17,336
Wow, Sean Olive's blog had a great continuing discussion and I went through the links and found free downloadable video courses from Infinity:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/technology/technology_academy.aspx?test=1&Language=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US

I haven't watched them yet but the last one is on testing...thanks, Prog Rock Man for the link to Sean Olive!

UPDATE:  The infinity videos are 90% sales pieces.  

May 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #806 of 17,336
Quote:
Ethan mentions comb filtering. These are all plausible explanations, but they have not been proven to be the major causes.

I proved with hard data that the frequency response changes drastically over distances as small as four inches. If that isn't acceptable proof to you, then I give up. Again.
confused_face.gif

Quote:
This was Lehmann's response:
[size=11pt]"To me it does not matter where the effects come from."[/size]
[size=11pt]This is a rather unacademic approach for an engineer[/size]

[size=11pt]"Unacedemic" is an understatement. Any design engineer who doesn't care why the sound of his circuits changes over time is incompetent and a fool.[/size]

[size=11pt]--Ethan[/size]

May 15, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #807 of 17,336

Quote:

This is hopeless...

The only thing I'm postulating is that the guy with the most experience with headphone amps of anybody here confirms that he experiences burn in.

Raise your hand if you have more experience with headphone amplifiers than Norbert Lehmann does.

May 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #808 of 17,336

Quote:

I proved with hard data that the frequency response changes drastically over distances as small as four inches. If that isn't acceptable proof to you, then I give up. Again.
confused_face.gif

Quote:
This was Lehmann's response:
[size=11pt]"To me it does not matter where the effects come from."[/size]
[size=11pt]This is a rather unacademic approach for an engineer[/size]

[size=11pt]"Unacedemic" is an understatement. Any design engineer who doesn't care why the sound of his circuits changes over time is incompetent and a fool.[/size]

[size=11pt]--Ethan[/size]

Comb filtering plays a role, but, as you know, we're talking headphones here. I don't believe Lehmann is incompetent. I believe he experiences burn in regularly, just can't explain why. Not everything in life has been explained yet. 

May 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #809 of 17,336

Comb filtering plays a role, but, as you know, we're talking headphones here. I don't believe Lehmann is incompetent. I believe he experiences burn in regularly, just can't explain why. Not everything in life has been explained yet. 

You're sounding like a broken record. Nothing has changed since your first post regarding amplifier burn-in. If indeed burn-in is real, and it somehow eludes present measurement process, a blind test would be able to identify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back