Testing audiophile claims and myths
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #17,071 of 17,336
Is that really new?
No, it’s not new but then I didn’t state it was new. I just stated it’s far more acceptable/fashionable than it used to be, as many more people seem to not be bothered by publicly demonstrating their gullibility and ignorance. Also, I wasn’t talking about “mumbo jumbo”, false marketing or “fake news”, obviously there’s always been some/a lot of that, I was talking about people’s willingness to publicly demonstrate that they’ve been suckered by it/are ignorant.

G

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #17,072 of 17,336
No, it’s not new but then I didn’t state it was new. I just stated it’s far more acceptable/fashionable than it used to be, as many more people seem to not be bothered by publicly demonstrating their gullibility and ignorance. Also, I wasn’t talking about “mumbo jumbo”, false marketing or “fake news”, obviously there’s always been some/a lot of that, I was talking about people’s willingness to publicly demonstrate that they’ve been suckered by it/are ignorant.

G
Well my quote of yours did include 'to be suckered by "fake news"'. So the term "fake news" might have been used for many years, but these days we equate it with the "news media" channel you don't agree with. Just bringing this up due to terminology: as my last interaction with you is you didn't understand context of stream or subsream with an Atmos soundtrack with a consumer video😉

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #17,073 of 17,336
all it does is demonstrate the entirely typical/normal phenomena of “acclimatisation”.

Not buying it as didn't use them frequently and mainly listened with half a dozen other iem's.

When you purchase very expensive earphones your bias would likely be that they're going to be very good so when they're virtually unlistenable it's a huge disappointment and hard to admit that money has been wasted. The iem's were hardly used for months and sometimes left playing but because of their cost I kept trying them occasionally usually for just an hour. Many ear tips were tested and some that were quickly dismissed can now be used with good results. The iem's now have a few hundred hours use and not once have I felt the need to quickly take them out of my ears due to discomfort. They sound much smoother and not peaky, I even eq'd them at one point to bring down the peaks around 4 and 7-8k now that isn't necessary - no frequency stands out.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #17,074 of 17,336
Just bringing this up due to terminology: as my last interaction with you is you didn't understand context of stream or subsream with an Atmos soundtrack with a consumer video😉
So just bringing this up due to strawman, got it 😉
Not buying it as didn't use them frequently and mainly listened with half a dozen other iem's.
Your not “buying” a well established phenomenon that’s so common it’s actually typical but you are buying some alternative that you can’t explain and has not been demonstrated to even exist?
The iem's were hardly used for months and sometimes left playing but because of their cost I kept trying them occasionally usually for just an hour. …
How does that prove or even indicate it was not “acclimatisation”? It actually indicates the opposite, that’s why it took you a year to acclimatise rather than days/weeks.

G

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #17,075 of 17,336
So just bringing this up due to strawman, got it 😉
Strawman that you still don’t understand an audio track with DD+ 5.1 stream and a JOC Atmos metadata stream all that is needed: yes indeed. You continue to show that you’re only interested in the master engineering and not consumer end.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #17,076 of 17,336

When you purchase very expensive earphones your bias would likely be that they're going to be very good so when they're virtually unlistenable it's a huge disappointment and hard to admit that money has been wasted. The iem's were hardly used for months and sometimes left playing but because of their cost I kept trying them occasionally usually for just an hour. Many ear tips were tested and some that were quickly dismissed can now be used with good results. The iem's now have a few hundred hours use and not once have I felt the need to quickly take them out of my ears due to discomfort. They sound much smoother and not peaky, I even eq'd them at one point to bring down the peaks around 4 and 7-8k now that isn't necessary - no frequency stands out.

You didn't mention which earphones you're talking about. But going by one of your recent posts, they seem to be the Oriolus Mellianus:
Do Traillii's benefit from use because my Mellianus sounded brittle and thin for many months but now they've smoothed out and sound very balanced. Can't believe it's just down to getting a good fit. I'm surprised an all BA set changes with use but it seems that way.

Ok, so let's see... hope you don't mind me quoting some of your earlier posts about these IEMs.

February 2023:
It's taken over 3 months to appreciate more the Mellianus (with lots of tip changes) They're very nice sounding iems and the bass is the best I've heard from an all ba but for the price I was expecting more of a holographic experience.

Some dismiss Crinacle's reviews as they don't tally with their own, but reading his review of Mellianus his findings are exactly how I hear them, and have only started really liking them after switching to foam tips after a few months of often struggling listening using silicone ones:

"It’s a rather thin-sounding IEM. The tuning does sound balanced but also somewhat underwhelming, with a strong focus on technicalities and not much else. Slightly bright-leaning tonality and benefits from the use of foams as it can take the hit in transient response".
Crinacle.

It's good to have a reference now when I look at his ratings.

S12's are very good for the price but compared to the Mellianus they sound like a fascimile of the music where Mellianus shows the real thing.

March 2023:
Listening with Mellianus to a song I'm familiar with I've never before heard the organ part sound so real. There is more depth and nuance that isn't heard with much cheaper sets. Most of you now take these things for granted but for me with my first totl it's like hearing my music with a newly discovered dimension that simply wasn't there before.

July 2023
Not necessarily my fav but currently enjoying (after complaining about the thin sound)

M8 + Mellianus + Liar + Oriolus double flange tips.

Great separation/positioning and soundstage.

November 2023
Can only compare with a few, Mellianus is another (which is twice the price), which doesn't give music the same weight or especially low end presence as Titan's, and overall I prefer the tuning, treble is never an issue.
My only nitpick with them is the fit isn't quite as good compared with Seraph's, the shells are slightly different, but I often have problems with fit.

December 2023
0.8mm.

All it took to transform the sound of Mellianus.

Joking aside I took a chance buying these tips (Final E) as they get many good reviews and I already own some which give a fairly good sound and seal. Measured them and determined they were L so bought LL. When the package arrived they looked the same and I considered returning them but thought I'd try them not expecting to hear any difference. They are very slightly bigger giving the best seal yet, I can feel my skin pulling when I remove them. But for the difference in sound is the main reason I keep buying different tips as for about a year I have been disappointed with the iem's which cost a fair amount - thin sounding is a quick summary, often contemplating selling them. Now at long last I'm hearing them more as they were designed to sound.
The tips aren't perfect, the bore could be a little wider, but they were well worth buying and I've learnt a valuable lesson in taking more care with finding the right size tip and not dismissing the difference 0.8 of a mil can make.

Jm2c, but I think the most likely explanation for your experience is right there in your own posts, rather than in some mysterious change of the IEMs or cable.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #17,077 of 17,336
Everyone knows the Mellianus is a scam...

Don't want to start a flame war but... just everyone knows. Adjusted for buying force, they cost 5700$ and e-earphone buys them for 1800$ in perfect condition. I talked to an employee and he said that almost every single one that gets bought, gets returned and nobody buys the used ones due to the bad ratings/reputation.

Talking about IEM (Real IEM, In-Ear Monitor, not earphone), you get as close to perfection as possible IEM for 1-2k (new!). Everything above is just a scam and most things for 2k already qualify as a scam.

I don't know why audiophiles are so easy to be scammed, but it always breaks my heart as they spend a lot of money in good intention to end up with something worse.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #17,078 of 17,336
Jm2c, but I think the most likely explanation for your experience is right there in your own posts, rather than in some mysterious change of the IEMs or cable.

S12's cost $140 vs a product that is usually $3500, so there would be something wrong if they came close to representing music on or near equal terms.

Some of these quotes were almost a year after buying the iem's. Changing tips has helped, especially to double flange, but after more use I can now use practically any tip.

You highlighted a part which was saying Titan's treble is never an issue.

So thought cable and then source was the main issue when new, then after several months buying more tips to fine tune fit, to now being able to use any of my daps, the original cable or any tips I've so far re-tried.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #17,079 of 17,336
Odd. I retune S12s to something that is TOTL level. Took me almost 3 years to learn to tune planar correctly. After that, people really enjoy them.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #17,081 of 17,336
you guys are drifting off, I fear...

That said, paying a lot of money can certainly "improve the experience"...
Either because the haptics and overall handling of something gets better, or because you simply love spending money and convincing yourself that you bought quality.

I recently showed a friend my "new" Yamaha C-T710 (vintage AM/FM tuner) in my shrine to Yamaha.
He loved it and said that the poti on the Yamaha A-S2100 (modern integrated amplifier) almost felt "bad" compared to the tuner wheel on that 50+ year old tuner.
And I have to agree, the feeling on the tuner is out of this world. (And I haven't even connected it to my stereo.. it's just there to fill a space in the rack :D )

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #17,082 of 17,336
Strawman that …
Great, so you agree it was a strawman argument, regardless of the fact that you didn’t understand a totally different discussion on an unrelated subject!
You continue to show that you’re only interested in the master engineering and not consumer end.
You really think I’m asserting that “acclimatisation” only happens to mastering engineers and not to consumers? Or just another strawman?

G

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #17,083 of 17,336
Great, so you agree it was a strawman argument, regardless of the fact that you didn’t understand a totally different discussion on an unrelated subject!

You really think I’m asserting that “acclimatisation” only happens to mastering engineers and not to consumers? Or just another strawman?

G
That you denied your statement “It’s far more acceptable/fashionable to be suckered by “fake news” and insult others than it used to be.” (what I was responding to). And having a nack for losing context or irony. Such as breaking the meaning of the post you randomly split up, or recognizing the standards for home Atmos in a video.

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #17,084 of 17,336
That you denied your statement “It’s far more acceptable/fashionable to be suckered by “fake news” and insult others than it used to be.” (what I was responding to). And having a nack for losing context or irony. Such as breaking the meaning of the post you randomly split up, or recognizing the standards for home Atmos in a video.

I do sometimes find it difficult following arguments on these pages, they often seem very disjointed and over complicated.

I concede the weight of the argument for it being tips and getting a good seal is in your favour.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #17,085 of 17,336
That you denied your statement “It’s far more acceptable/fashionable to be suckered by “fake news” and insult others than it used to be.” (what I was responding to).
I didn’t deny my statement.
And having a nack for losing context or irony.
You mean like you did! You don’t seem to know the context of the post you initially responded to, and then you get all indignant when that context is re-iterated.
Such as breaking the meaning of the post you randomly split up, or recognizing the standards for home Atmos in a video.
Yep, you randomly split up my post and now accuse me of randomly splitting up your post. Not to mention, the context had absolutely nothing to do with Atmos in a video. Talk about “losing context”, Kettle, pot, black! And sure, I don’t “recognise the standards for home Atmos in a video”, despite having created content for home Atmos in a video, studying and meeting those Atmos HT standards in order for that content to pass QC. But if you want to discuss Atmos yet again, why don’t you start a new thread or resurrect the one you’re referring to, rather than hijacking this one?

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back