Testing audiophile claims and myths
Oct 22, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #14,192 of 17,336
Amps sound the same test in your signature.

1. Were they really concentrating like a spectrum analyser for two and half hours? I could not tell after that whether I am girl or boy.
2. Why groups? And why objectivist participants? In a four member group the 2 subjectivist can make 100% then the 2 objectivist will degrade the average?
It would be better remove that stupid test from your signature.

Anyway blind test is a false method. You cannot find a successful blind test on the internet which is proving it does not work.
Only stone deaf people developed it so they can sleep well knowing that not only they are disabled.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #14,193 of 17,336
Anyway blind test is a false method. You cannot find a successful blind test on the internet which is proving it does not work.
Only stone deaf people developed it so they can sleep well knowing that not only they are disabled
Umm, it is being used to test vaccines for COVID-19 and nobody in the scientific community is arguing for its deprecation, actually, they are supporting this kind of test and the evidence it provides.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #14,194 of 17,336
I've heard Atmos headphone mixes, and fancy surround in Oculus Go and none of it puts anything outside my head. I keep looking though.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #14,195 of 17,336

You are clueless.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #14,196 of 17,336
I've heard Atmos headphone mixes, and fancy surround in Oculus Go and none of it puts anything outside my head. I keep looking though.

I don't think Oculus Go/Atmos type of headphones can give a proper justice regards very spacious listening experience. These thingies focus for gaming, virtual reality were imaging is important. Any closed back headphone has no chance for very spacious sound, but out of head experience is achievable, though would be costly.

AKG K1000
RAAL SR1A

They won't wrap your head though and there will be a large gap between your ears and it's drivers.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #14,197 of 17,336
From experience, I can confirm blind tests can confirm differences in equipment, having worked with Sony high end audio engineers for two years in Shibaura, Tokyo between 1995 and 97.

I sent several products for testing, including to What Hifi, etc. Sometimes, the reports from different countries' tests, like UK, Australia, Germany, and US, would be so similar.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #14,199 of 17,336
2000 euros is still over and beyond insanely expensive...but I guess some fools spend that money on cables, and if this is as revolutionary as they say it is, then I really do hope you enjoy it.
It's not revolutionary, the method used is pretty much half a century old. And it doesn't make cat ears grow on the wife. The ultimate result when all works fine, is going to be something real close to when you use your speakers(or whichever room you recorded with it). And speaker sound isn't revolutionary or incredible in any way.
So IMO, the main interest is for all the people who cannot afford to fire up their speakers at night(or ever) because of neighbors. I'm like that and in that specific respect, it's revolutionary for me. Now even at the kickstarter price, it's a rather expensive present I made to my neighbors ^_^. Because that's what it is to me. Never would I use headphones at home if I was alone in it and it was located on the countryside in the middle of nowhere. I find speaker playback soooooo much better.
But now I can use something very close in the middle of the night and there is nobody to complain. So we're all happier and grateful.
And for people who have a house with the acoustic of a public toilet(too small, all concrete stuff, weirdo shapes,etc), they can go record some much nicer room at a friend's house, and voila! Also kind of cool.

But yes it's too expensive for what it really is. The retail price is above 4000€... That's scary but I've seen DACs and headphones at those prices so who knows? Maybe it makes sense for some people? And I don't think it will go down by much, if at all. The A8 stayed at around 3000€ for years. It's bound to remain a small market so long as Smyth is leading it.

TLDR; it's almost speaker! And in a better way than

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #14,200 of 17,336
Only stone deaf people developed it so they can sleep well knowing that not only they are disabled.
What's the point of posting something like this?
There's such a huge amount of data showing the necessity of experimenting on a variable with as much control over the other variables as possible. We usually need to do it just so we can effectively demonstrate causality between variable A and B. So rejecting controlled experiments is just irrational.

There is an even bigger amount of data on human biases and our inability to strictly separate our various senses from each other and from whatever ideas we have at the time. Can what we see change what we hear? Yes!!!!!! Can what we've been told change what we hear? Yes again!
So if our impressions about sound can change from non audio variables, it's obvious that a more accurate impression about sound requires that we remove as many of those non audio variables as possible before testing for sound. At least it should be obvious to anybody who wants the correct answer about perceived sound.
Not saying that blind testing is perfect or easy. It's not and anybody is welcome to seriously address the flaws of a specific type of experiment so people can pay attention to those issues when experimenting, but also when interpreting the data from other similar experiments.
But your post is nonsensical, and I'm not a fan of that.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #14,202 of 17,336
I don't think Oculus Go/Atmos type of headphones can give a proper justice regards very spacious listening experience.

I was using my Oppo headphones with it. The Quest has really accurate head tracking. And the app I was checking out (Cirque du Soleir) had an immersive soundtrack by Head Space who supposedly are at the forefront with dimensional mixes for VR. Things crossing right to left were very clear. It had traveling sound elements that were clearly supposed to be in front and in back of you, and it was a very nice mix with lots of secondary depth cues. But it all sounded "inside the head" and nothing sounded like it was in front or behind me.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #14,203 of 17,336
I used to think head tracking was the key, but I can’t get any kind of surround sense with my Oculus Quest either. I think it’s mostly personal anatomy.

I've got an Oculus Rift S, and basically all it appears to do is panning with head movement - there's no crossfeed as far as I can tell. On the other hand Sony appears to really nail it with the Playstation VR. There are real depth cues going on, and in something like Wipeout you can really hear exactly where your fellow racers are coming up behind you, and as you turn your head it really does sound like your turning your head rather than a simple pan.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #14,204 of 17,336
Not impressed how what facts and logic, seems to vary a lot at ASR. I'm given 4 likes on the ER3XR's speed & detail, Then suddenly I'm hounded on being a audiofool and them saying "lol 0.9%" in the same when i post again???. Sometimes i just never reply since many don't even fully read your opinion or argument if it makes them doubt the site. Even Hydrogenaudio has this issue sometimes when they overhype QAAC performance at 128kbps.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #14,205 of 17,336
Forums are groups of people. It would be weird(and rather dangerous) if they all always acted as a monolithic mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back