Testing audiophile claims and myths
Feb 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #13,726 of 17,336
Is it only in a particular song or all the time?

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #13,727 of 17,336
Is it only in a particular song or all the time?
I hear the static for a second . Even when I switch off the fan, I hear it for the same duration. It is not very loud.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #13,728 of 17,336
I hear the static for a second . Even when I switch off the fan, I hear it for the same duration. It is not very loud.
With one of my amps, I can tell when the fridge in the other room turns On. Only that moment is audible to me and I can't measure any significant change at the amp while the fridge is ON. But I clearly can record the artifact from the exact moment it's turning On. Unless it's extremely loud, don't mind it. If it really bothers you, there are probably ways to better isolate the audio gear from the rest of the power grid, but is it worth the investment?

About headphones getting damaged and distorting, I don't think we can answer anything other than "it depends". I've seen drivers where the owner had pushed on the diaphragm and made it in a shape that was clearly not right, yet the sound from that headphone was surprisingly normal(at least subjectively). On the other hand, I've had a short tiny hair rubbing on the diaphragm and driving me crazy with all the buzzing it was causing.

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #13,729 of 17,336
With one of my amps, I can tell when the fridge in the other room turns On. Only that moment is audible to me and I can't measure any significant change at the amp while the fridge is ON. But I clearly can record the artifact from the exact moment it's turning On. Unless it's extremely loud, don't mind it. If it really bothers you, there are probably ways to better isolate the audio gear from the rest of the power grid, but is it worth the investment?
I shouldn't worry about the artifact, right? that was my main concern.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #13,730 of 17,336
It’s probably in the recording, not the headphones

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #13,731 of 17,336
Doubt it's even recording but more electronics.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #13,732 of 17,336
Can headphones be slightly damaged and cause slight distortion say in the treble? or if it breaks , it breaks, and the difference is easily audible and not a subtle change. Whenever I switch on the ceiling fan, I hear some static from my headphones. My headphones are connected to the laptop on charge. Can this static or whatever it is change the sound slightly?

Ground loop. The ceiling fan is probably the problem.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #13,733 of 17,336
Ground loop. The ceiling fan is probably the problem.
Can it damage the driver? can it alter the sound? even since I heard the static, I think the treble's texture on my meze 99 classics has become slightly dry. Of course I could be imagining this, but I want to confirm. Also, I am still breaking them in.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #13,734 of 17,336
No it can't damage the driver. It just means that the shielding and grounding of the electrical in your house is funky. It should be fine if you take your laptop somewhere else to listen to music. It'lll probably be fine if you operate off batteries too.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #13,735 of 17,336
I hear a static noise using active noise cancellation headphones. I don't know if its because the microphone that receives background noise from different sources and just replicates the sound in the headphones or there are other electrical sources that interfere.

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #13,736 of 17,336
That one is probably something broken in the noise cancelling electronics. That is entirely different than a ground loop problem.

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #13,738 of 17,336
Plenty of unreasonable ones too!

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #13,740 of 17,336
Why does my external dac(powered) sound better from a pc digital out VS phone digital out (both bit perfect)?
Hard to say. Your impressions only tell us how you feel, not what's going on with the sound.
Also bit perfect doesn't mean much on its own. It should mean that the DAC gets the bit values that were on the file, which would remove so many potential causes for differences. But in practice both the bit depth and the sample rate could be changed while still using a so called "bit perfect" path. and depending on settings, we might still have a sound mixer and digital gain applied at the source.

Right now we don't know much of anything about your situation. so trying to come up with a cause is... :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back