Testing audiophile claims and myths
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #7,171 of 17,336
@bigshot please try to play nice with our new friends. I don't have the ability to edit so I end up deleting entire posts for one sentence.
@Phronesis if a post offends you or is counter to the terms of service, use the report button at the bottom of the post. we're not supposed to discuss moderation(again those are the rules).

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #7,172 of 17,336
Let me know if you want me to delete something and I will. I'm not aware of anything I'm doing that isn't nice. I'm doggone cute, in fact!

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #7,173 of 17,336
@bigshot - I think being able to produce a 20khz tone in a steady state doesn't *necessarily* prove the transient response is any good. (does it? It proves something but I'm not sure what off the top of my head) And Wendy Carlos was (AFAIK) mostly working with analog gear, which would produce band-limited signals naturally. Whereas a lot of today's musicians are completely in-the-box and produce all sorts of transients that are unnatural, as a result.

I demand unrealistic impulse response performance!! :wink:

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #7,174 of 17,336
blind tests use objective methods to perform subjective tests, eheh. or are objective tests done on subjects. :)

seriously, to me it's a subjective test, but half the time I got labelled as a pesky objectivist, it was for trying to discuss blind testing. so yup, whatever.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #7,175 of 17,336
Human ears haven't changed in the past five years. I'm talking about audible sound.

Neither did instruments .

I am talking about the overall perceiving of the the sound, not only hearing with ears - there are links to studies of EEG of human beings when exposed to sound above 20 kHz, among others - in the link I provided.

On the other hand, I do not believe you can possibly deny experiencing not perceiving sound below 20 Hz - even if you can not directly hear it with ears. Goes from traffic noise to purposedly built/tuned church organs - with the FUNDAMENTAL of 6.5 ( don't nitpick for EXACT number after the decimal here ...) Hz. And, yes, it is MUSIC.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #7,176 of 17,336
We can feel frequencies we can't hear at both ends of the spectrum. The range of musical pitch is even narrower than the range of human hearing.

Zapp_Fan, please post some unrealistic music in the Sound Science Music thread. I'm interested to hear what it sounds like. I only know the old school synth guys... Mort Garson, Tomita, Jarre, etc.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #7,177 of 17,336
Guh the pseudo-pedantry gets too much at times. If I give subjects a drug and am interested if they die within 24 hours, that isn't a 'subjective' test. Same with 'can you hear this 20kHz test tone'.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #7,178 of 17,336
I went to design school and in Design 101 on the first day, the professor said, "Today we are going to discuss the topic 'What is art?'" All of us blathered on with our theories for about 20 minutes and finally it started to peter out. The instructor interrupted us and said, "Good! Now that we've gotten that out of our system, we can start talking about how to MAKE art." We never discussed what art was again. We just discussed how to make it.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #7,179 of 17,336
Guh the pseudo-pedantry gets too much at times. If I give subjects a drug and am interested if they die within 24 hours, that isn't a 'subjective' test. Same with 'can you hear this 20kHz test tone'.
Agreed....but i have to wonder if you have human remains in your fridge?...its ok ...i totally understand if you do.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #7,180 of 17,336
Agreed....but i have to wonder if you have human remains in your fridge?...its ok ...i totally understand if you do.

Xiph hired me to off anyone who could ABX 128k Opus (subjectively, of course).

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #7,181 of 17,336
Agreed....but i have to wonder if you have human remains in your fridge?

I do but they're pretty picked over.. you're welcome to have leftovers if you want...

OH! You said HUMAN REMAINS! I thought you said PICKLED HERRINGS!

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #7,182 of 17,336
I went to design school and in Design 101 on the first day, the professor said, "Today we are going to discuss the topic 'What is art?'" All of us blathered on with our theories for about 20 minutes and finally it started to peter out. The instructor interrupted us and said, "Good! Now that we've gotten that out of our system, we can start talking about how to MAKE art." We never discussed what art was again. We just discussed how to make it.
My daughter did the university art thing....subjective??....one prof hated her stuff....others sent it on a tour of canadian museums and universities....art is the place science can never go.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #7,183 of 17,336
It depends on the test. If you ask them which sample they prefer, it's subjective. If you ask them to let you know when they hear a tone, it's perceptual and objective. They either hear it or they don't. They aren't being asked to make any determination on their own. Controls are designed to reduce subjectivity so you can focus on the objective result.
Nope. Just no.

What do you mean they "either hear it or they don't?" We have no idea what they are hearing. The only input we get is what they are saying. That involves hearing, perception and giving an answer.

Take me playing the same content for them as A and B. I then ask if A and B are different. You are telling me they will say they are the same? If so, you are in dire need of some actual experience in this domain.

The listeners can actually "hear" differences in A and B even though they are identical. All they have to do is pay different attention when listening to B versus A. All of a sudden they hear detail in one that they did not hear in the other.

Let's say they did not hear a difference. They wonder though, "was there a difference and I was too deaf to say there was a difference?' Result: they say they are different even though they heard otherwise!

Inversely let's assume there are differences in A and B that are audible. I play them and ask if there is a difference. Listener hears the difference but thinks, "hmmm, I wonder if this is a trick and I am imagining there is a difference." So they say no, there is no difference!

Or there is an audible difference and they truly can't perceive it as being the same. You know, how the general public would act if you asked about high fidelity content versus not. It is all "music" to then and they don't know why you ask them if they are different.

Due to all of these variabilities because we involved humans in evaluation, these tests are always, always considered subjective. Unlike measurements where we can repeat them and the same very precise answers, listener tests have vagaries that dismiss them from being such.

And don't confuse gathering objective conclusions from subjective data. They are two different things.

Please, please spend some time conducting real blind tests. Have a loved one test you that way. Have them change nothing versus doing so. Get some first-hand experience of what it is like to take these tests instead of relying on lay intuition.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #7,184 of 17,336
Nope. Just no.

What do you mean they "either hear it or they don't?" We have no idea what they are hearing. The only input we get is what they are saying. That involves hearing, perception and giving an answer.

Take me playing the same content for them as A and B. I then ask if A and B are different. You are telling me they will say they are the same? If so, you are in dire need of some actual experience in this domain.

The listeners can actually "hear" differences in A and B even though they are identical. All they have to do is pay different attention when listening to B versus A. All of a sudden they hear detail in one that they did not hear in the other.

Let's say they did not hear a difference. They wonder though, "was there a difference and I was too deaf to say there was a difference?' Result: they say they are different even though they heard otherwise!

Inversely let's assume there are differences in A and B that are audible. I play them and ask if there is a difference. Listener hears the difference but thinks, "hmmm, I wonder if this is a trick and I am imagining there is a difference." So they say no, there is no difference!

Or there is an audible difference and they truly can't perceive it as being the same. You know, how the general public would act if you asked about high fidelity content versus not. It is all "music" to then and they don't know why you ask them if they are different.

Due to all of these variabilities because we involved humans in evaluation, these tests are always, always considered subjective. Unlike measurements where we can repeat them and the same very precise answers, listener tests have vagaries that dismiss them from being such.

And don't confuse gathering objective conclusions from subjective data. They are two different things.

Please, please spend some time conducting real blind tests. Have a loved one test you that way. Have them change nothing versus doing so. Get some first-hand experience of what it is like to take these tests instead of relying on lay intuition.

Well put.

We humans aren't simple measuring instruments when it comes to hearing. Music perception occurs at both subconscious and conscious levels, and the conscious mind tries to evaluate and report on what was heard. But, by definition, the conscious mind has limited awareness of what was perceived at the subconscious level, so there's already a disconnect there (this is why we have great difficulty detecting our own cognitive biases in action).

Moreover, music perception is highly affected by the level of attention, and where attention is being directed (details, stage, bass, sibilance, etc.) - like memory, perception is an active process, it's not passive like a recording going on tape or an image being developed on film.

Music perception is also variable from moment to moment, is affected by the unreliability of memory, fatigue, adaptation to sounds, etc. It can also be affected by the artificial conditions of a listening test, which may be unrepresentative to some degree of how music perception occurs in normal extended listening for enjoyment.

In other words, as 'measuring instruments' for music perception, we humans have considerable 'measurement error' with each 'measurement' (the questions posed to listeners). This complicates blind testing because, for example, if you're comparing the sound of two different DACs, lack of detecting an objective difference could be due to unreliability of the listener, and likewise for detecting a difference which isn't objectively there - we're dealing simultaneously with potential differences (or not) in the sound objectively produced and with variability in the listener's perception of the sound.

Moreover, there are various ways to design the tests, such as asking listeners to rate differences on a scale (say 0 to 10) so that it's not just binary, and asking listeners to focus on a specific aspect of the sound (e.g., level of detail or amount of bass) rather than just 'does it sound the same or different'. As already discussed in this thread, the answers and information you get from tests depend on the questions you design tests to answer, and it can be a mistake to generalize findings well beyond the testing protocol. For example, we can't hear a DAC alone, apart from a signal chain, so whether or not a difference is heard could depend on which headphones are used, which music is played, etc. When you do 'controlled' tests so that only one variable is changed, by definition you don't know what the effect of changing the other variables would be unless you do more tests.

If there are threads where these aspects of blind testing have already been discussed, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to them.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #7,185 of 17,336
If I give subjects a drug and am interested if they die within 24 hours, that isn't a 'subjective' test.
If they die, you have objective data without them saying anything. In listening test we have to rely on judgement of listeners on what they heard. We don't get that objective data point.

Indeed in medicine much instrumentation is used to determine efficacy. A tumor can be monitored for size during treatment for example. A rash can be seen to disappear. A fever coming down. We don't have any of these tools in listening tests.

Same with 'can you hear this 20kHz test tone'.
When I went to my audiologist last, he played fainter and fainter tones. It got to a point where I was wondering, "did he play something?" "Did I really hear something?" You know what I did? I guessed. Darn it if the audiologist did not have poker face, not letting me know if I was or was not wrong. :D

So even in the cases of inaudibility, we still can get unreliable answers. This is why we use statistical analysis to determine the likelihood of any conclusions we want to draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back