Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #181 of 651
Hello.
I just received the V3 player and am trying it out. I have tried to connect it via USB C with the iFi NEO iDSD, but it does not recognize the player as an external audio source. I have tried different cables but it doesn't work either.
Could you tell me how you connect to your Gryphon DAC? (I don't know if any option needs to be activated in the configuration).
Thank you
I don't have the V3 in front of me but in the menu, there are settings for the USB output (V3 settings)

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #182 of 651
Anyone know how long it usually takes to update shipping on an order from aliexpress once a package has passed through customs? I'm in the U.S. and mine passed through customs on December 29th but there is no shipping update to where the package is currently located since December 29th....

Just tried via microsd card with both these names and also using V3.upt... no luck. I wonder if it should have the version number included 1.1? Anyway, seems they have made a mess of the update!
Maybe they are just testing their update process. Yesterday when I checked for an update via OTG, there was an error message. Today when I check it says there is an update but it has 1.0 (which has some Chinese writing after it) to download which it doesn't) and no 1.1 file shown. I'd just wait until the 1.1 update shows up on there. And yes, they've made a bit of a mess of the update, haha.

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #184 of 651
That is the response from OTA server. Lets try to download v3.upt and compare it to previous v3_analog.upt... So files are the same.
Code:
{"result":{"fileName":"v3.upt",
"downUrl":"https://oss.hiby.com/TempoTec V3/en-us/1.0/v3.upt",
"showNumber":"1.0",
"packageSize":"49037312",
"languageCode":"en-us",
"md5Code":"fdd16dfff10d30cf06947e8be658cdcb",
"isDownVersion":"no",
"describes":"1.0正式固件。\r\n\r\n",
"versionNumber":"1.1",
"productName":"TempoTec V3"},
"code":0}

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #185 of 651
That is the answer from OTA server. Lets try to download v3.upt and compare it to previous v3_analog.upt... So, files are the same.
Code:
{"result":{"fileName":"v3.upt",
"downUrl":"https://oss.hiby.com/TempoTec V3/en-us/1.0/v3.upt",
"showNumber":"1.0",
"packageSize":"49037312",
"languageCode":"en-us",
"md5Code":"fdd16dfff10d30cf06947e8be658cdcb",
"isDownVersion":"no",
"describes":"1.0正式固件。\r\n\r\n",
"versionNumber":"1.1",
"productName":"TempoTec V3"},
"code":0}

So, it actually downloads the file from an Hiby server (oss,hiby.com)... Interesting!

For what is worth (I have not received my V3 yet...), I checked this V3 .upt file against the latest R3-II update file. The structure appears correct... The .upt files are compressed files that can be opened with something like 7-Zip.

v3_analog.upt contains 6 files:
  • SYSTEM.UBI (exactly the same size as the R3-II)
  • UBOOT.BIN
  • UIMAGE.BIN
  • UPDATE.TXT

kernel={
    name=kernel
    file_path=autoupdate/uimage.bin
    md5=48c4216422bd5ddcfc57bf0964fd6d60
    }

rootfs={
    name=rootfs
    full_upgrade=yes
    file_path=autoupdate/system.ubi
    md5=7fb9e87106c2984eb1bc7edf58815cb4
    }

• VERSION.TXT

version={
    name=v3
    ver=2024-01-03T18:36:53+08:00
    }

• _GITIGNO

It is possible that one of these md5 checksum is incorrect or, for some unknown reason, the system image installed on the V3 does not recognize the update as legit...

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #187 of 651
The messages on the screen in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tem...-functional-with-hiby-os.971088/post-17907548
"Updater V1.1 v_v File error"
That 'Updater V1.1' is the application inside standalone 'recovery' partition in most HiBy's X1000/E based devices. It works separately from main system with own Linux kernel. It's usually not included to firmware update file and burned to internal memory on factory hence I cannot simply find out what file it wants to find.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #188 of 651
The messages on the screen in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tem...-functional-with-hiby-os.971088/post-17907548
"Updater V1.1 v_v File error"
That 'Updater V1.1' is the application inside standalone 'recovery' partition in most HiBy's X1000/E based devices. It works separately from main system with own Linux kernel. It's usually not included to firmware update file and burned to internal memory on factory hence I cannot simply find out what file it wants to find.
I guess it will be hard to get any support from Tempotec.

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #189 of 651
I guess it will be hard to get any support from Tempotec.

From what I've read, they prefer to have contact with their dealers, rather than directly with end users. I guess their official store on Ali is the best way to contact them directly?

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #190 of 651
Hello. Could you share your feedback about difference in sound between v3 and v6?
Differences between the V3 and V6....hmmm. They generally have the same tonality. I would say that the V3 is more "closed in" sounding and doesn't have as wide a breadth as the V6 does, a bit narrower in scope and bit more mid-centric...but again, a very similar tonality. The V6 has more sound options though with it having 6 low pass anti-aliasing filters compared to the v3's two options. Also, the V6 version of hiby has not only MSEB and EQ but sound plug-ins and PEQ filter. I think a lot of the sound differences might actually be attributed to the versions of HIBY operating systems that are different for different players. But the V6 is Android and can also download the Korean based JEtAudio, which is (IMO) better at sound manipulating than even the V6 version of HIby. They gave the V3 the exact version of HIby that is on their R3II. I think if there is any hope to get the V3 closer to the standard of the V6 it would be to push HIBY to update that version (v3 and R3II) to include more of the audio perks that are included in the more robust versions of their operating systems.
Soundwise, I would choose the V6, V3, then R3II...in that order.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #191 of 651
Differences between the V3 and V6....hmmm. They generally have the same tonality. I would say that the V3 is more "closed in" sounding and doesn't have as wide a breadth as the V6 does, a bit narrower in scope and bit more mid-centric...but again, a very similar tonality. The V6 has more sound options though with it having 6 low pass anti-aliasing filters compared to the v3's two options. Also, the V6 version of hiby has not only MSEB and EQ but sound plug-ins and PEQ filter. I think a lot of the sound differences might actually be attributed to the versions of HIBY operating systems that are different for different players. But the V6 is Android and can also download the Korean based JEtAudio, which is (IMO) better at sound manipulating than even the V6 version of HIby. They gave the V3 the exact version of HIby that is on their R3II. I think if there is any hope to get the V3 closer to the standard of the V6 it would be to push HIBY to update that version (v3 and R3II) to include more of the audio perks that are included in the more robust versions of their operating systems.
I have both and agree with you. For me v6 slightly better, but LO+ amplifier on v3 win 🙂

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #192 of 651
From what I've read, they prefer to have contact with their dealers, rather than directly with end users. I guess their official store on Ali is the best way to contact them directly?
Just heard back from Tempotec Official Store on Ali:
Screenshot_20240109-100634.png
Just had message from Tempotec Official Store on Ali that 0.4 is still the latest firmware. Screenshot_20240109-100634.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #193 of 651
Thank you so much for such a wise reply.
I feel a slightly crisp and aggressive HF by default settings and without any sonic boosters.
I'm wondering is that common for V3 & V6 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back