Taking big step up to expensive portable sets $1500-1800 Budget
Jan 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
well, I've never owned a set of expensive closed backs portables, even though I've tried a few.  I've got a few grips that I am afraid I will have to live with such as on ear sets, which I hate.  I have some requirements and I hope to meet as many of them as possible.  Three must be met, which are a short cord no more than 4ft long, and being a circumaurial over the ears set style, and has a very large spacious stage.  On ear sets with long cords are out of the question.  This set will be used while i am moderately mobile, walking around a little.  Isolation is not important.  

*note when I say portable I mean something to be used indoors but relatively small, but still full sized.  

My requirements are:

-over the ear*
-short cord no more than 4ft long*
-vast soundstage*

Should I be looking at the Ultrasone Edition 8 or 9, or maybe the D7000 recabled with a shorter cord?  Any help or advice is appreciated.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 19
Jan 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 19
hey thats a great suggestion i totally forgot that beyer was a closed back.  That just bumped up to the top of the list, ty for reminding me of it.  I loved my T1 before it roasted, gosh now I am kind of excited :)

the cord on the a100 is 4.7ft, its too long :\

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 19
I didn't think the ED8 had spacious sound. The Denon D7000, AKG K271, Ultrasone Pro 900, and ATH W1000X, however, have very spacious sound. If you'd like, you can take a look at my review of the ATH woodies since they are all closed, but most of them may not have as wide a sound stage as you'd like. The soundstage of the W2002 and W1000 are similar to that on the ED8. The W11JPN is wider and the W11R, the widest.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/535216/an-11-years-late-review-audio-technica-w11r-review-vs-w11jpn-w2002-w1000-the-best-of-audio-technica-s-woodies

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 19
thanks for that, but all of those are far too big for me.   Wing design and large connective band over the top of my head is something I cant have.  What ever set I get needs to be as small as possible but still full size.  The Beyer T5p looks like it is my best bet, but I am still unsure as to which to try.  I need something with a simple design and a small headband like the beyer or ultrasones.  

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 19
Z1000, ES10, W5000, D7000 and ED9.......

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 19
the sony z1000 looks awesome and is very "me" but i am not sure i want a monitor set, I dislike monitors and they usually are not very good for enjoying the music 

the es10 is on ear and out of the question lol

W5000 is too big, cant use a wing design and prefer a lower profile set ( smaller but still circumaurial )

D7000 recabled with a shorter cable is an option like I said in the original post

And the Edition 9 and 8 are also a strong option, Im not exactly sure which one to get which is why i posted the topic heh :p

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Jan 24, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Hey man, I haven't heard the T1 but I have tried the T5p, and if I could compare them to my DT880 (250 ohm), they sound just a bit warmer but very pleasant indeed. Build quality is typically top-notch Beyer stuff, materials used (headband, earpads) look more exquisite, and I think they come with an extension cord so they're suitable for portable or home use. Felt case, too.
Not sure what the exact cord length is (sans extension).

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 19
may I suggest the Edition 8's? I have listend to them and was like...BWAH!!!!!!!!! people say they are incredibly easy to amp for on the go and are closed.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
thanks for that, but all of those are far too big for me.   Wing design and large connective band over the top of my head is something I cant have.  What ever set I get needs to be as small as possible but still full size.  The Beyer T5p looks like it is my best bet, but I am still unsure as to which to try.  I need something with a simple design and a small headband like the beyer or ultrasones.  

Oh, so sorry. I missed the title stating portable. I thought the PRO series in Ultrasones had bigger soundstage than the ED8, but the Beyer T5p does get some good reviews. The PRO 900 mids were very recessed, but since spaciousness is priority I think they are a good consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back