Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Nov 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #2,266 of 2,336
Quote:
The mids are a bit more forward with the V4s than the V2s. There are also improvements with the chambers, which were re-designed with a special coating applied inside to prevent reflections.

Thanks A. Just wonder if I can get the V2s upgraded to the V4s. OR just simply get the V4 drivers. I have some spare cups and headbands lying around.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #2,267 of 2,336
I received an email from Rhydon today :
"wanted to let you know we just launched a new driver. The Symphones X driver is an improvement on the V4, having a more refined upper frequency spectrum and extended bass. The X driver is available through Turbulent Labs and you can check out more information at www.turbulentlabs.com.

I am surprised that no one has posted about this on the forum?
I ordered one to see how it compares with the V4. 
If any one has heard these a comparisons to the v4 would be useful.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #2,268 of 2,336
Keep us posted Sluker! I'm dying to hear some comparisons. I would buy these, but I've been lusting after some He400's for too long to ignore at this point.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2,271 of 2,336
It's funny to think it might be possible to do better than the V4s as everyone who tried them in Tokyo was amazed by them.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #2,272 of 2,336
Quote:
It's funny to think it might be possible to do better than the V4s as everyone who tried them in Tokyo was amazed by them.

Anyway, will Rhydon be offering these at a discounted price to those with the V4 already?

I'm curious how they compare to the V4. Based on the description, I really cannot imagine much of an improvement, the bass extension and treble refinement are both pretty much (in my mind) without flaw.

It is also very odd to me that Rhydon previously mentioned the importance of the full Al design, and really promoted that for the Magnums, yet turbulent labs does not offer metal cups.

I have also found that I am very, very fond of the taped bowls. I think someone should make some bowls that have the qualities of the taped bowls, without having to tape them, that would likely, in my mind confer the greatest sonic improvements.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #2,273 of 2,336
I recall someone saying Rhydon telling them he quit making them, which would be a pity if true. I wouldn't be surprised if most of his recent sales were of the drivers to the custom cup makers though.

I've ordered 2 pairs of drivers for both my Magnums (V2 and V4). I'll try them in the V2 pair first so I can compare easily. I've added a bit of felt to the wall of the cups behind the drivers in them to prevent reflections, so the cups shouldn't be factor (or not much if at all).

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #2,274 of 2,336
Quote:
I recall someone saying Rhydon telling them he quit making them, which would be a pity if true. I wouldn't be surprised if most of his recent sales were of the drivers to the custom cup makers though.

I've ordered 2 pairs of drivers for both my Magnums (V2 and V4). I'll try them in the V2 pair first so I can compare easily. I've added a bit of felt to the wall of the cups behind the drivers in them to prevent reflections, so the cups shouldn't be factor (or not much if at all).

Well, I await your thoughts, though I sincerely doubt I'd really even consider it, unless my drivers die.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,277 of 2,336
Hey all--I just put in my order for a set of Symphones X drivers from Turbulent Labs. I e-mailed Rhydon about the difference between the V4 and the X, and he had this to say:

"the X (or 5) has improved frequency extremes- better highs and more prominent lows. It will be replacing the V4 in terms of performance."

I look forward to hearing the new drivers when they arrive, and I'll be sure to post impressions. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2,278 of 2,336
Quote:

I'm surprised to this special revision that was released since the v.4. Rhydon had indicated the v.4 would be his last iteration of the Magnum driver.  But, my guess is that he probably had a few nights where he woke up in the middle of the night with an "ah ha" moment and jotted a few notes on a Post-It pad.  Then, these ideas were culminated in the most recent release - squeezing another 5% or so in refinement out of the driver design.

In the end, though, this is great news for those who want something slightly different than something from Grado.  Magnum, certainly has enough tweaks with the driver to even allow someone who didn't care for the Grado "house" sound to stand up and take notice.

Enjoy!

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2,279 of 2,336
My God, this is never ending. I quickly went from V1 to V2 (or was it 2.5) and now fast forward to V4 and then the X?

I'm just going to wait for them to come up cheaper on the aftermarket.

Wait: X-drivers are only US$130 shipped internationally. Guess my spares wood or MS2 cups might come  in handy afterall.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2,280 of 2,336
Haha shawn I'm still on the V1 - and it's the last headphone I bought - so I know how you feel! I have a serious itch to try those X's for $130.

I got the lite version of the V1 back in the early days... I imagine these would be worth it. Are they easy enough to 'install'? I have very limited soldering experience and would hate to mess them up trying to make them better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back