Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jan 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #1,952 of 2,336

Quote:
Speaking of bass, I need an amp that will make the magnums shine, I know I will get the O2 amp, any other portable amps I can get that will pair well with the magnum v4s?

Bear in mind that I am going to run it from ipods and I have the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo as one combo and my other combo are 2 of the sansa clip+.

Wayne might have a suggestion for you.

also, I would consider the O2 more transportable than portable, but hey.. if you wanna carry it around, go for it. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #1,953 of 2,336
Hold on guys!  Don't hesitate, I do want your suggestions!

Bear in mind that I don't mind the O2's size and weight since it'll be in my camera bag anyway, also my FWJ#9 has got macassar ebony and honduran rosewood.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #1,954 of 2,336
yeah i didn't read your issue thoroughly at first......i haven't found the cup/wood, unless it is some odd shape or small (volume-size) to really affect the low end as much as everything else. weak bass is more driver related i think....still wondering what is lacking in the bass....I find a burned in mag just right in the low. best i've ever heard. in your original question were'nt you concerned primarily about the lows and wanting the amp to address that specifically or is there something else more general you are lacking?

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #1,956 of 2,336
See my post in the other thread.
The Magnum's have awesome PRaT, articulate, melodic, sweet bass. IMO, the primary factor in bass quantity (after driver design of course) is the length of the chamber (long=>bass). But if you want to boost bass with a portable amp I recommend the Arrow or the JDS labs CMOY 2.2 (or what ever version John has rolling out now). 
However, I would agree with the above, in that the Magnum's in no way lack bass. In fact if you want more bass, get a D5000 or perhaps the new Beats 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #1,957 of 2,336

Quote:
Speaking of bass, I need an amp that will make the magnums shine, I know I will get the O2 amp, any other portable amps I can get that will pair well with the magnum v4s?

Bear in mind that I am going to run it from ipods and I have the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo as one combo and my other combo are 2 of the sansa clip+.

Not sure if I posted it here, but I took a chance on everything -- the Fostex HP-P1, the Triad Audio L3 and, originally, the Magnums, and, for me, the result totally nailed it. I even feel I can enjoy listening to my (trans)portable rig without missing my main home rig now. I was very surprised by this. The all-up cost is rather crazy though, in retrospect.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #1,958 of 2,336

Quote:
yeah i didn't read your issue thoroughly at first......i haven't found the cup/wood, unless it is some odd shape or small (volume-size) to really affect the low end as much as everything else. weak bass is more driver related i think....still wondering what is lacking in the bass....I find a burned in mag just right in the low. best i've ever heard. in your original question were'nt you concerned primarily about the lows and wanting the amp to address that specifically or is there something else more general you are lacking?

That might be my problem, as said, I've only used my magnums for 3 hours or so so haven't done much with them, the bass is only slightly lacking and I am wondering if I did something wrong with the amping department...

Quote:
See my post in the other thread.
The Magnum's have awesome PRaT, articulate, melodic, sweet bass. IMO, the primary factor in bass quantity (after driver design of course) is the length of the chamber (long=>bass). But if you want to boost bass with a portable amp I recommend the Arrow or the JDS labs CMOY 2.2 (or what ever version John has rolling out now). 
However, I would agree with the above, in that the Magnum's in no way lack bass. In fact if you want more bass, get a D5000 or perhaps the new Beats 
deadhorse.gif

Hahaha, if you go to one of my albums here in my profile, you would see the length of the chamber, it's not as long as my MS1000 from jaben and I'm not too sure if that would be the offender.  I'm really starting to look at the files I'm using plus the amping department.

Quote:
Not sure if I posted it here, but I took a chance on everything -- the Fostex HP-P1, the Triad Audio L3 and, originally, the Magnums, and, for me, the result totally nailed it. I even feel I can enjoy listening to my (trans)portable rig without missing my main home rig now. I was very surprised by this. The all-up cost is rather crazy though, in retrospect.

That is quite a setup!  Triad audio, pretty sure it's made in Hong Kong or something, right?  I've heard good things about it though.

I have the ipod side of things already and have the algorhythm solo, the missing link is the amp which is why I'm targeting that.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,959 of 2,336
Considering the upgrade for my SR325i's, should I go for the magnum light upgrade, or buy an SR-60 and install the drivers myself, or perhaps even buying an already upgraded magnum. Is it worth the extra 220$? and how do they compare with the RS-1?

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #1,961 of 2,336
if anything unburned magnums tend to have too much bass. a little overbearing, so if you are having too little with no burn in it will likely get worse for you as the bass seems to dim down more over time........just my experience of course. not a set in stone documented fact

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #1,962 of 2,336

Quote:
if anything unburned magnums tend to have too much bass. a little overbearing, so if you are having too little with no burn in it will likely get worse for you as the bass seems to dim down more over time........just my experience of course. not a set in stone documented fact

ah, I didn't see that he was complaining about a lack of bass. I don't really remember exactly how my magnums started out sounding anymore either. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #1,963 of 2,336

Quote:
do you feel they are bass shy? t crisis

I don't know if I would say that... My modded SR80s (with all 10 holes punched in the felt) seem to put out a little more midbass than the Magnums, but I like that the Magnums that way. The SR80s get muddy on certain tracks. However in the low end, I think they're pretty close. To me it's the pads. He tried them on with the bowl pads, and I don't think the bowl pads do the Magnums justice, just my opinion. Once I throw my makeshift jumbos on they sound great.

edit: with the bowls, at times it's almost like I just can't 'feel' the bass. It's there, but it doesn't translate to my ears. With the bigger, more enclosing pads, I can 'feel' it. I don't mean to sound like a basshead, but it's much more pleasing to my ears. Then again I do have pretty big ears AND I bought knock-off bowl pads from amazon that look to be a lot smaller than Grados bowl pads so the bowls I bought sit on my ears and my jumbos go over my ears.
The best description I could give is that the bowls make it sound like the drivers are an inch from my ears and my homemade jumbos put them right where I want them to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back