Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Dec 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #1,756 of 2,336

Quote:
@Mark, I thought you couldn't have the Magnums until Christmas?  What kind of arrangement did you have to do to get them early?

Ok, so I get home from work yesterday... I see my Magnums wrapped under the tree and am very sad about it. My wife insists I must wait until Christmas which was just cruel and unusual IMO.

She begins to tell me how my daughter lost one of her expensive earrings today and that it must be somewhere in the house, but she has searched everywhere. (I dont really care because I just want my headphones) but then she says "If you find the earring you can open the stupid headphones".... I immediately drop to the floor like a bloodhound and start searching. It took me 10min to find it 
biggrin.gif
. I opened the Magnums 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #1,758 of 2,336

BINGO! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
So we should never  let our wife know that we have purchased new pair of headphone and rationalize
 that it is for our Christmas present.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,759 of 2,336

Quote:
So we should never  let our wife know that we have purchased new pair of headphone and rationalize
 that it is for our Christmas present.

OR, you know... Just not get married. I'll be damned if I'll do such a thing for any reason other than insurance. Maybe I'm just jaded, but getting married seems really pointless and insignificant anymore.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,760 of 2,336
If you pay $280 for shipping they SHOULD have some sort of guarantee as to time, right? Also, the black-white driver thing is simply an issue of mesh (the one covering the driver holes). If I'm not wrong the mesh on my drivers are black, but the plastic under is grey. If the mesh he used on the full magnum grados is white then I think you'd get something which looks like markkr's headphones.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #1,762 of 2,336

Quote:
that is a funny/cruel story for sure
dt880smile.png
  she just doesn't appreciate the 'headphone experience', or the time required !  It's a solitary and a mildly anti-social activity i suppose that the average woman is not biologically evolved to support or comprehend. They are social creatures who more easily see value in gossip about the kardashians than being sent into outer space by a robin trower's 'for earth below' on vinyl ! ............ 8 a.m. , must go to work now.........the Man doesn't understand either............

*coughs*

My girl supports this ridiculous hobby... I didn't even have to marry her either... AND she can cook. lol 

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,764 of 2,336
Anyone using reverse bowls?  I'm using it until my Flat pads arrive from ttvj (their on backorder).  I think I may go with Flat pads for Magnums, unless I repurchase the MAD EAR HD again.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #1,766 of 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiertijai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am listening to the V4 right now, I should say that the sound signature is similar to the V3.5 but better treble extension and detail,
still have that sweet midrange like the RS1 using the flat pad.  The V4  still needs some burning for the bass, V4 has a lot of bass
impact but still little boomy.

I tried different pads with the V4's and I found that reversed, quarter-modded Senns provided for the most neutral sound signature, reducing the bass response somewhat and thus balancing everything out very nicely. Well worth a try.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,767 of 2,336

Quote:
I tried different pads with the V4's and I found that reversed, quarter-modded Senns provided for the most neutral sound signature, reducing the bass response somewhat and thus balancing everything out very nicely. Well worth a try.

They are super cheap too :)

Also, we have yet another aspect that can affect your preference between your setups Strat.. your pad choice :)

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #1,768 of 2,336

Quote:
They are super cheap too :) Also, we have yet another aspect that can affect your preference between your setups Strat.. your pad choice :)

My first Magnums were the V3.5s, which I got used from Rhydon, so well-burnt in. There was super balance, very detailed sound, absolutely no sibilance or bass boominess. When I got the V4's in alu air chambers, it was the bass - to my ears - that dominated in a way unknown in the V3.5s and on some tracks it even sounded somewhat boomy. Less so, when I used the Senns, more noticeable when I used flats or bowls, regular or reversed. Then I removed  the drivers from the alu air chambers and put them in wood, the bass boominess was reduced next to none, even without burn-in. Magnum V4's and wood = perfect synergy, to my ears. What I did next was to put my V3.5's in the alu chambers and mounted them in wood slip-ons. Perfect synergy as well. I am happy to admit that I do not have any experience with top tier amps or sources. That will certainly affect the V4s' performance in alu and wood as well. So I am quite eager to read what people's impressions on their full-mod alu Magnums are like. kiertijai seems to have noticed a kind of bass boominess as well, and so I may not have been completely wrong in my impressions.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,769 of 2,336
<Below> That is the funniest story i have heard relating to this hobby 
biggrin.gif
. What a men would do for his toys!!! Enjoy Mark!

Quote:

Ok, so I get home from work yesterday... I see my Magnums wrapped under the tree and am very sad about it. My wife insists I must wait until Christmas which was just cruel and unusual IMO.

She begins to tell me how my daughter lost one of her expensive earrings today and that it must be somewhere in the house, but she has searched everywhere. (I dont really care because I just want my headphones) but then she says "If you find the earring you can open the stupid headphones".... I immediately drop to the floor like a bloodhound and start searching. It took me 10min to find it 
biggrin.gif
. I opened the Magnums 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I consider myself lucky too. She doesn't understand why so many headphones/Gears but when I remind her how many pairs of shoes she owned it's a neutral debate. 
wink_face.gif
 And we both don't dear to ask how much we spend.

Quote:
that is a funny/cruel story for sure
dt880smile.png
  she just doesn't appreciate the 'headphone experience', or the time required !  It's a solitary and a mildly anti-social activity i suppose that the average woman is not biologically evolved to support or comprehend. They are social creatures who more easily see value in gossip about the kardashians than being sent into outer space by a robin trower's 'for earth below' on vinyl ! .......how do you like the new version?............ 8 a.m. , must go to work now.........the Man doesn't understand either...........

I have not tried the Flat pad but I would think it would accentuate the bass to much. The V4 have very punchy bass. I'm using the G-Cush (Salad bowl) with distancer and it's just a very good experience with the Mad Ear+.

Quote:
Anyone using reverse bowls?  I'm using it until my Flat pads arrive from ttvj (their on backorder).  I think I may go with Flat pads for Magnums, unless I repurchase the MAD EAR HD again.

Like Stratocaster I initially found that the V4 / Alu chambers had very punchy bass. No need to use Flat or reverse bowl in my case. Ever since I used them with the G-Cush is been great. I also stop using them with my DACmini amplifier that has the 1 ohm output and it seem to make the bass even more pronounce. I'm still using mine with the Grado plastic slip-on with new Grill.

Quote:
My first Magnums were the V3.5s, which I got used from Rhydon, so well-burnt in. There was super balance, very detailed sound, absolutely no sibilance or bass boominess. When I got the V4's in alu air chambers, it was the bass - to my ears - that dominated in a way unknown in the V3.5s and on some tracks it even sounded somewhat boomy. Less so, when I used the Senns, more noticeable when I used flats or bowls, regular or reversed. Then I removed  the drivers from the alu air chambers and put them in wood, the bass boominess was reduced next to none, even without burn-in. Magnum V4's and wood = perfect synergy, to my ears. What I did next was to put my V3.5's in the alu chambers and mounted them in wood slip-ons. Perfect synergy as well. I am happy to admit that I do not have any experience with top tier amps or sources. That will certainly affect the V4s' performance in alu and wood as well. So I am quite eager to read what people's impressions on their full-mod alu Magnums are like. kiertijai seems to have noticed a kind of bass boominess as well, and so I may not have been completely wrong in my impressions.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #1,770 of 2,336

Quote:

I also stop using them with my DACmini amplifier that has the 1 ohm output and it seem to make the bass even more pronounce.

This is an interesting statement for me, I was considering a DACmini with 1ohm mod for mine... do you think the std 10ohm would be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back