Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Nov 14, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #271 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After the last email, I asked for the headphones to be shipped with the original drivers and was happy to receive the new drivers, and solder them myself, at a later date. I got the shipping notice as promised.

Things I need to do include some comprehensive listening comparisons and testing with lesser gear and more music types, but so far I really like them with my gear and most music I've listened with. Rock might not come through excitingly enough for some people and the brightness is a bit fatiguing after some time listening on second thoughts.

web.jpg

A pic of the slightly mis-placed driver, which I fixed by pushing it in. Note that only half the allen screw sockets are filled.
web.jpg

Pics showing the cable. I don't think it's an issue most of the time as the cups wont end up swivelled at such an extreme angle, just that the cable can get rubbed easily just outside of where it goes into the cups and could do with a layer or two of heatshrink for good measure:
web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/currawong/1005...12581759770001
web.jpg

ahh..so the stock drivers did come with the new aluminum housing. i had the impression that we were getting the stock drivers back with its original plastic housing. i was wondering why it would sound any different. they sure look beautiful!

what are your impressions on the full alluminum vs. stock MS2i?

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #273 of 2,336
Lol, what a bad design for the cable. It might be okay for some months, but after some continuous usage, the metal edge will end up braking the plastic and possibly causing electrical problems to the drivers -if it is contact with the cable-.

Anyways hope it is not the case. Looks good, and even reading your impressions I think I did a good decision in not picking those up
biggrin.gif

Keep the thoughts coming (and picts of the drivers, to see how they are covered)

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #274 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, what a bad design for the cable. It might be okay for some months, but after some continuous usage, the metal edge will end up braking the plastic and possibly causing electrical problems to the drivers -if it is contact with the cable-.

Anyways hope it is not the case. Looks good, and even reading your impressions I think I did a good decision in not picking those up
biggrin.gif

Keep the thoughts coming (and picts of the drivers, to see how they are covered)

That "notched" gimbal is common to all the Grados from the RS-2 on up. The factory is the same "type" of design. Same on my GS1000s. They can make sure the edge of the cutout is chamfered.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #277 of 2,336
web.jpg

I think the easy remedy to this design flaw is to put the U-shaped notch on the other edge of the yoke. That is, have the notch facing towards the inner cup rather than the outer cup. A safer alternative is to make the yoke C-shaped, just as with the stock plastic piece.

Nonetheless, glad to see somebody getting something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #278 of 2,336
kontai, that is a good idea. It would give a better chance for the cable to survive after loads of usage. Even so looking again at the picture those edges do look really sharp

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #279 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
web.jpg

I think the easy remedy to this design flaw is to put the U-shaped notch on the other edge of the yoke. That is, have the notch facing towards the inner cup rather than the outer cup. A safer alternative is to make the yoke C-shaped, just as with the stock plastic piece.

Nonetheless, glad to see somebody getting something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't one just flip this around yourself so that the yoke notch is then on the other side? Is it permanently attached to the driver housing? Maybe they installed it backwards...

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #280 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't one just flip this around yourself so that the yoke notch is then on the other side? Is it permanently attached to the driver housing? Maybe they installed it backwards...

It is copied like the Grado gimbals. It might be very difficult to switch around. Also, when the pad is in place it may limit the Gimbal movement and it's effect on the cable. It does so on the GS1000s.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #281 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is copied like the Grado gimbals. It might be very difficult to switch around. Also, when the pad is in place it may limit the Gimbal movement and it's effect on the cable. It does so on the GS1000s.

x2. the gimbal is exactly the same as my RS1 (except u-shape instead of square shape). when the bowl pad is in place it restricts movement and should not interfere with the cable. the problem could be because the 325/MS2 has shorter cups, allowing less distance between gimbal and cable (reason why the gimbals only go halfway on those models).

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #283 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they have the metal stoppers on the end of the rods as shown on the website?

I'd like to say this again because my post got lost when everyone started quoting the large images...

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #284 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to say this again because my post got lost when everyone started quoting the large images...

I've heard that when you start quoting yourself in Posts, that is one of the warning signs for Schizophrenia!
icon10.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #285 of 2,336
mine has arrived!!
normal_smile .gif

img0366h.jpg

i was a little disappointed to see that the gimbals, rods, and housing weren't matching colors as shown on the website. but not a big deal.
img0369te.jpg

the gimbal isn't a issue for me at all. bowl pads on or not they don't seem to interfere with the cable on mine. this may be because of the mushroom cups.
img0370ge.jpg

img0371lg.jpg

img0372k.jpg

no problems with the driver popping out on mine either.
smily_headphones1.gif

img0373o.jpg

img0374z.jpg

the plastic rod holders are holding well. there is a good amount of friction that prevents the cups from sliding down. very snug and tight. although, i think aluminum holders would be better just to go with the whole look.

they do sound different than what i can remember of the stock SR325i. with a brief listen, they sound surprisingly less shrill, bright, peaky, and harsh. they actually sound slower than what i can remember. they sound more gentle and delicate and have a nice sparkle to them. the tone appears to be a bit darker and the bass impact doesn't seem to be as strong as i remember (or maybe i'm too used to listening to the RS1i and HF2?). they kind of sound like HF2 with stock bowls without the bass bloat and compressed soundstage. same tone and all.

with full aluminum i think the SR325i is just as good as the RS1. in fact i think i might like them even better. it doesn't have quite the same texture and reverb that i like about the RS1 though, i think because of the wood cups.

i'm quite impressed so far. the craftsmanship is excellent. i think Rhydon has something really special brewing up for us. it would definitely be nice if we get the upgraded drivers by Christmas. i have a APS V3 cable handy to test them with. keep up the good work Rhydon!
wink.gif

PS - i thought we were suppose to get matching color aluminum (like the website)? please clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back