Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #197 of 294
668b_FR.png
This is a Frequency response graph for 668b on http://www.chw.net/foro/audio-y-reproductores-portatiles/953346-microreview-tm-superlux-hd668b.html.
Even though it has no information of the phase response so that I have no clue of the tonal balance from this graph, but the shown magnitude response is not bad at all to show its tonal balance being not too deviated from balanced line in red.
Because of the above average on high band, the string sound is perceived lively, however I don't think it is bright phone.
You guys who have this low cost phone and are looking for expensive phone in your future bucket list, might be relax and enjoy your music without envying those expensive phone like HD800 or other crazy costed planar. I myself passed through those crazy paths and finally get here with 668b.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #198 of 294
IEC318 for Suplux hd668b.jpg philips-fidelio-x2-vs-x1-review-measurements.png

In comparison to other phones, 668b has not significant deviation.
In high I do not find any granny sound, and it has excellent dynamic range so that it has good fit in instrumental music.
Also it is good for non-classical genre, vocal music and watching movie.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #203 of 294
Phone: 30 USD paid year ago, ear pads: 35 USD, and cable 20 USD.( all prices are roughly exact)
Which earpads did you buy? Brainwavz XL's? I don't know why you'd buy a $20 cable? Zeos says $5 ones work fine and I have to agree. Check out the Ugreen Hi-Fi cable ($5US) on Aliexpress.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #204 of 294
Which earpads did you buy? Brainwavz XL's? I don't know why you'd buy a $20 cable? Zeos says $5 ones work fine and I have to agree. Check out the Ugreen Hi-Fi cable ($5US) on Aliexpress.
I think 20 dollar one justifies the cost considering improved SQ.
I was not believer of cable, but I was converted to the believer in cable.
As engineer of sensor system, I regard the cable as a antenna so that it might pick up the noise around. Also the line impedance of the cable might influence the sonic characteristics because what we hear is combination of all frequency contents with different magnitude and phase which is related to the sound characters. So I believe in the construction in the dielectric material and the resistance too.
What we listen to harmonic sound is the combination of integer ratio among the wide band from 20 to 20Khz, where there is possibility of non-integer ratio of frequency contents exist due to non-linear reproduction of original harmonic contents of the source. This bad cause might be from cable, aka nonlinear inter-modulation of the frequency contents.
However I do not believe in good or bad electrons which is the same and fundamental for physics.
My ear-pads were HM5 which is smaller than XL and better fit, and costed me 30 dollars more than a year ago.
When I replaced the stock pads with HM5, 668b sounded like in distance and weak and I left 668b for while and one day I hooked it to my new Fx Audio dac x7 with high volume.
This setup suddenly blew life in it and everything I heard from it since then was new and engaging.
I enjoyed it exclusively for more than a month among its competitor, Th-900, Nighthawk, Fidelio X2, and Takstar pro-82.
It took about one year to get used to 668b to the fullest extent.
It is very interesting experience.
Now 668b is one of my favorites, and all-rounder.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #205 of 294

hahaha... is a choice, Ugreen is nice, but when Joong inform me the ghent, I checked and bought it, interested in the braid EMI protections... never have a cable of this kind...

even I want to try the Balanced cable (get the budget one)

I think 20 dollar one justifies the cost considering improved SQ.
I was not believer of cable, but I was converted to the believer in cable.
As engineer of sensor system, I regard the cable as a antenna so that it might pick up the noise around. Also the line impedance of the cable might influence the sonic characteristics because what we hear is combination of all frequency contents with different magnitude and phase which is related to the sound characters. So I believe in the construction in the dielectric material and the resistance too.
What we listen to harmonic sound is the combination of integer ratio among the wide band from 20 to 20Khz, where there is possibility of non-integer ratio of frequency contents exist due to non-linear reproduction of original harmonic contents of the source. This bad cause might be from cable, aka nonlinear inter-modulation of the frequency contents.
However I do not believe in good or bad electrons which is the same and fundamental for physics.
My ear-pads were HM5 which is smaller than XL and better fit, and costed me 30 dollars more than a year ago.
When I replaced the stock pads with HM5, 668b sounded like in distance and weak and I left 668b for while and one day I hooked it to my new Fx Audio dac x7 with high volume.
This setup suddenly blew life in it and everything I heard from it since then was new and engaging.
I enjoyed it exclusively for more than a month among its competitor, Th-900, Nighthawk, Fidelio X2, and Takstar pro-82.
It took about one year to get used to 668b to the fullest extent.
It is very interesting experience.
Now 668b is one of my favorites, and all-rounder.

I will be in the middle regarding silver or Copper Cable... there are something different, but I don't think is a big improvement...
the biggest affects for me is coming from song bit rate, Player, and Amp... IMHO...
just be reasonable, one solutions may not be for ever each one.. example, File song 16 bit 320kbps is already satisfied me...

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #206 of 294

This is a Frequency response graph for 668b on http://www.chw.net/foro/audio-y-reproductores-portatiles/953346-microreview-tm-superlux-hd668b.html.
Even though it has no information of the phase response so that I have no clue of the tonal balance from this graph, but the shown magnitude response is not bad at all to show its tonal balance being not too deviated from balanced line in red.
Because of the above average on high band, the string sound is perceived lively, however I don't think it is bright phone.
You guys who have this low cost phone and are looking for expensive phone in your future bucket list, might be relax and enjoy your music without envying those expensive phone like HD800 or other crazy costed planar. I myself passed through those crazy paths and finally get here with 668b.

So upgrading hd668b to Monolith M1060 would be a waste of time and mooni? :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #207 of 294
So upgrading hd668b to Monolith M1060 would be a waste of time and mooni? :)
I think you might taste the planar flavors which is fast, deep sub bass (so called planar bass), and extended high in some cases that is not the case of M1060.
However there are also dynamic phones's flavor like high dynamic ranges, impact, decent mids, and light weight.
Those two groups are different than better or worse things.
You might buy Brainwavz HM5 earpads and decent cable, and try the 668b for at least a month.
Some times our brains requires some training onto the phones for significant time for enjoy to the fullest extent.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #209 of 294
This was my first open (semi-open) headphone, other than the large (XL) soundstage, Loved that! & the nice detach cords I didn't like anything else about it at all!, I did have velvet pads on it though so that could of been why because other than bass in songs & ambient sounds in games there was not much else, none of this "clarity" or "highs" i sometimes see people talking about. The guy i sold it to loves it though.

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #210 of 294
Jacking HD668b to Amp ALO Audio Continental V5... OMG this Headphone can do decent Low freq...
it is so sad that I need to return this ALO Audio Amp, it really make HD668b sound different, thicken the low freq and make high freq absent, make HD668b dark...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back