Superlux Express Train
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #226 of 1,352
hi there been reading about these superlux cans and want to order some,

first i think i'll go with the 668b and AKG Velours Pads,

but i also want some portable cans for my sony x1050... now im trying to decide between the 660 and the 662 (b,f)

question:
- which has better overall sound :p
- which is more fun - more bass? (i listen to 80% electronica/pop/dance and chillout)
- do both seal well, no sound leakage?
- hows the clamping force?
- 660 is a beyer dt770 clone so their pads should fit - what about the 662?
- with the 660 i probably need an amp right?

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #227 of 1,352

Quote:
My Punchy mod ...

After probe taking off the superluxes sticker-damper (broken on the operation :frowning2: ) to improbe the mids  and find that the new sound signature i didn't like it because it lose all the punchy bass and a good amount of midbass and bring a bright highs that i don't like i resolve it on this way: using masking tape to make a better sealed on the six holes on the driver case, the effect its awesome.... it's like the sound goes out the case more compressed and powerfull over all on bass frequencies that brings an awesome punchy bass to the ears... and the better its that the sounds keeps itself analytical, detailed, with a very good soundstage and a less recessed lower mids due to no sticker-dammper. maybe the sound becomes a bit less neutral and more coloured but it's more more fun to hear...
I think it's a good mod that improbe the sound of this cans (over all for "punchy bass" lovers signature) and if you want to probe it's reversible (if you don't broke the damper on the process.. like i did...)

I have just tried this mod with my HD681 and it make sound softer and warmer, the bass level is insane but a bit bloated, i like stock sound better. I will try this mod when i get the 668B back :D

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #228 of 1,352
Hello everyone !

I am looking for good headphones as you can imagine and I've read a lot of this thread, reviews and other sites :)
At first I was very interested in the AKG K272 HD (115€) but then I read about the Superlux headphones (20-30€) !

What I'd like :

(1) not too bassy headphones, neutral as possible (usage : movies, some music, some games)
(2)  I won't be using an amp or a dedicated sound card for now (maybe later an Auzentech Bravura or Forte) so stay with an on-board sound card and maybe mp3 player
(3) more attracted by closed headphones (some outside usage) but I'm okay with open.

So as you can deduce, I am really hesitating between 668B and 662F :/
- 662F seems not too bassy, has a low-impedance and is closed.
- 668B maybe produce a better sound ? but has an higher impedance and is open.

Another question : I see a lot of people changing the pads to AKG pads, it's possible for 668B but they are slightly different on 662F, are there any AKG pads matching the 662F's ?

Last questions : about the quality, do you think Superlux headphones will last as long as an AKG one ? (Better to pay 1 AKG than 5 Superlux) and about the safety, as they are made in Taiwan, do you think there are no danger for our ears (intensity) or our brain (magnetic protection) ?

Thank you for reading me !

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #229 of 1,352

Quote:
Hello everyone !

I am looking for good headphones as you can imagine and I've read a lot of this thread, reviews and other sites :)
At first I was very interested in the AKG K272 HD (115€) but then I read about the Superlux headphones (20-30€) !

What I'd like :

(1) not too bassy headphones, neutral as possible (usage : movies, some music, some games)
(2)  I won't be using an amp or a dedicated sound card for now (maybe later an Auzentech Bravura or Forte) so stay with an on-board sound card and maybe mp3 player
(3) more attracted by closed headphones (some outside usage) but I'm okay with open.

So as you can deduce, I am really hesitating between 668B and 662F :/
- 662F seems not too bassy, has a low-impedance and is closed.
- 668B maybe produce a better sound ? but has an higher impedance and is open.

Another question : I see a lot of people changing the pads to AKG pads, it's possible for 668B but they are slightly different on 662F, are there any AKG pads matching the 662F's ?

Last questions : about the quality, do you think Superlux headphones will last as long as an AKG one ? (Better to pay 1 AKG than 5 Superlux) and about the safety, as they are made in Taiwan, do you think there are no danger for our ears (intensity) or our brain (magnetic protection) ?

Thank you for reading me !

HD668B will suit your need. As for the pad, 662F use the same pad as 668B. I think it will last long.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #231 of 1,352

Quote:
HD668B will suit your need. As for the pad, 662F use the same pad as 668B. I think it will last long.

The pads are actually different. 662F pads are made of softer leatherette than 668B, which seems more like some kind of vinyl. 662F pads are more comfortable.

The pads are same size and thus interchangeable though.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #232 of 1,352
Any owners of the 662F tried the velour pads yet? I have to hit up a new set so it's velour or pleather, just wondering about firsthand experience and how the sound changes. If not I'll just go order , maybe both. They're cheap enough on ebay, $17 a pair I think shipped.  Yup.

I don't mind losing a bit of bass at all these are pretty powerful cans.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #233 of 1,352

Quote:
Any owners of the 662F tried the velour pads yet? I have to hit up a new set so it's velour or pleather, just wondering about firsthand experience and how the sound changes. If not I'll just go order , maybe both. They're cheap enough on ebay, $17 a pair I think shipped.  Yup.

I don't mind losing a bit of bass at all these are pretty powerful cans.

I searched ebay and couldn't find them anywhere near that cheap.  Do you have a link or seller's name?  I have a 668B. I assume they 662F's will use the same size earpads? TIA.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #234 of 1,352
interested, wondering which model has the closest sound to the Beyerdynamic Dt990 or anything along the line. Always wanted to try a beyer but just don't have the budget. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #236 of 1,352
wow great.. thanks a lot. They both look almost identical. Time order one these baby..
gs1000.gif

Quote:
The 668b is supposed to be quite similar to the DT990, according to the FR graphs.

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #239 of 1,352
Fantastic, got my HD660, they barely fit under my ears and i have a big head! I think they work as portables, the volume gets to a decent level where you don't run the chance of damaging your hearing (out of a Sansa Fuze), question is do you want the hassle of carrying them around?

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #240 of 1,352
Some impressions on the 660, 662 and 681 (no B's or F's):

681: Thin and weird sound to me, treble sounds hard on my ears, disconnected from the rest and really artificial. Sounds like the frequency response is a roller coaster or something. Also the most uncomfortable of the three, the earpads are shallow and hard. Returning these...

660: A lot more balanced sound, and enjoyable really (closer to the 662), but lacks some details across the frequency range and sounds somehow distant (quick test songs included Pink Floyd's Time, some Dream Theater and Eat Static). A little bit more comfortable, but the earpads are still small for my ears (I guess too small across?).

662: Luckily both the most pleasant sounding and the most comfortable of the three! Big hugging earpads, and a bit more bass and presence than the 660, but not muddy really. I'm keeping these, but the 660 isn't bad for what it is either.

If it means something to someone, my reference is Ultrasone Pro 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back