Superlux Express Train
Sep 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #211 of 1,352

Quote:
Do you use a knife to remore the red ring and then paint it?

Yeah, the rings are just glued on, so I went under the edges with an X-acto knife (bent a couple blades doing this) to remove them.  Then I just sanded and sprayed the rings with a flat black and finished it off with a spray sealant.  Pretty easy in reality, and with the slight decrease in inner diameter of the rings after painting, I didn't even bother gluing them back on.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #212 of 1,352
quick stupid question - i accidentally ordered a 2.5mm jack somehow. i bought 9 feet of mogami cable to recable these with; if i chop off the stock 3.5mm jack and wire that to the mogami, is that going to make a noticeable difference in audio quality versus mogami straight into a new 3.5mm jack?

by the way i just used my HD681's on stage. love em more every day! i'm cheap so i'm going to try and maybe see if i can sew some more comfy material on top of / in place of that plasticky crap.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #213 of 1,352

Quote:
quick stupid question - i accidentally ordered a 2.5mm jack somehow. i bought 9 feet of mogami cable to recable these with; if i chop off the stock 3.5mm jack and wire that to the mogami, is that going to make a noticeable difference in audio quality versus mogami straight into a new 3.5mm jack?

by the way i just used my HD681's on stage. love em more every day! i'm cheap so i'm going to try and maybe see if i can sew some more comfy material on top of / in place of that plasticky crap.

It sure will reduce the sound quality because the stock 3.5 jack is very cheap but i think it will be only slightly different.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #215 of 1,352
Quote:

personal preferences i guess. i just like the overall sound of the HD681 more. we'll see how it seems with the new cable. i agree with you in that the highs are not as refined as the HD25, but HD25's lack of soundstage and coloration (i can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the sound signature that took some getting used to for me)

by the way, does anyone else think the HD681's actually look pretty cool? one of my friends described them as "like wearing Air Jordans on [my] head".

I also enjoy the hd681, I use it as my primary headphone it's something about the sound colouration and huge soundstage that makes it fun and addictive, I oringally brought it out of curiosity and thought id use it as a temporary headphone until I found something better but I liked it so much I decided to keep it as my primary headphone, even if i brought a headphone costing 10times as much I probley wouldn't enjoy it as much as my hd681 also I only paid £17.50 for it.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #216 of 1,352
I've had my Superlux HD-668B for 44 days, last night they stopped working.
Anyone else have their Superlux's stop working after this short of time?

I have a brand new soldering iron, so I guess I'm going to open them up and see if I can fix the problem.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #217 of 1,352
44 days?
Well, I've had mines for about 6 months but how did yours 'stop working'? Do they like make no sound at all?

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #218 of 1,352

Quote:
44 days?
Well, I've had mines for about 6 months but how did yours 'stop working'? Do they like make no sound at all?

They were plugged into my Stereo receiver and I got up, it pulled the cable taunt and it was a slight pull on the connector near the headphone. it's now like 95% of the sound disappeared.
So my actions contributed to them not working, but most headphones would not stop working like this just having the cable go taunt.
If i cannot fix them, there is a 50/50 chance I might just order another pair because I like the HD-668Bs.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #220 of 1,352

Quote:
probably just a loose connection...resolder that bi'niss.  I've had mine for a couple months with no problems, but they're not getting a ton of head time anymore, which is a shame.

I received my first pair of 681's without sound in the right side, back in the box, back to Germany, four days later, new pair arrives without extra costs.
probably they are used to the lack of quality control at superlux.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #221 of 1,352
just for the record, OWC carries superlux too.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Avlex/HD681/

btw in response to the loose connection issue: the superlux stock cable is actually unusably bad. so glad i had ordered some Mogami at the same time as my superluxes. from the moment i first used the my HD681, the right channel would cut in and out if you wiggled the cable. you can't complain about quality control issues because of how little they cost for the headphone quality you get. anyone who gets these headphones should have replacement cable in mind as an essential part of the purchase, plus nine feet of Mogami W2893 and a Canare F12 cost me like $8 shipped and it's fun to do.

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #222 of 1,352
I've equalised the HD681's if anyone wishes to avoid bothering with the filter mod. Assuming you've a parametric equaliser (ie. rockbox) then these are the settings you need:

-2db 3400Hz q=0.6
-8db 5000Hz q=0.6 (probably due to ear canal resonance: so your ears may be different and you may find a higher q, ie. 1, helpful)
-3db 8400Hz q=1.3
-6db 12400Hz q=0.75

You still need about -10dbs on the tone control. I like it a little hotter at -7dbs.

This should be an improvement on the filter mod since the specific spikes are taken out whereas the mod simply tames the treble overall.

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #223 of 1,352

Quote:
Seriously I searched enuff on the net about them and I have only found bad reviews on them.  Like here is another linke... 
confused_face.gif

http://alatest.co.uk/reviews/headphone-reviews/prodipe-pro-800/po3-47843540,74/

I don't think I found a single good review for the Prodipe Por 800 apart from one review.... yours!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542904/prodipe-pro800-best-easily-found-50-headphone-ever-impressions-and-reviews-thread

ooo nice one with the mod.  I'll put the links up in the first post.  
smile.gif

Those reviews are rather trollish and seem very biased.

There are plenty of non biased positive reviews from people that didn't expect to be blown away by their performance.

Superlux is truely attempting to bring a high performance and affordable product to market.

I'll be grabbing a few pairs very soon to hear for my own ears....maybe I won't even bother buying any of the higher priced highly regarded phones that these units seems to match or beat.

These seem to be the perfect cans to mod considering the low price/high performance.

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #224 of 1,352

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. You lost me in the indecipherable layout of your font-size-nightmare and puns-without-punctuation. I guess it took you 1000 words to say you don't like hand bags, ate some wormwood ribs and love titties? Oh, and give out free headphones to your friends like a dealer lures in potential addicts with free cocaïne. 
wink_face.gif

Thanks for sharing your impressions on the HD662f, again. Your web-wide, omnipresent fetish for these cans actually made me buy my own pair of HD662's. From another seller though.

I quite like mine. Best $35 I have spent on a closed headphone really. I don't make sweet love to them though. Yet. 
wink_face.gif

4K is where many elctric guiatar tones are centered at. Or at the part that makes the ears bleed.That high frequency saturated tube/Marshall tone is up there. If you've ever gone to a Metal or Hard Rock concert and had your ears ringing for 3 days.... 4K and several octaves lower and higher is what does the majority of the damage. We are much less sensitive to lower frequencies. Our ears are very sensitive to midrange which is where the human voice is in the frequency spectrum.....and up through the upper mid/lower treble ....this what gives us the impression that somethings making my ears bleed.....

I'm not implying you know nothing about sound but I got exactly what he was talking about being a musician myself......his run-on puns with no punctuation could use a counter clockwise turn on the dial.....but he's enthusiastic about the product and I'll order from him as soon as I'm ready to jump onto the Superlux train.

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #225 of 1,352
My Punchy mod ...

After probe taking off the superluxes sticker-damper (broken on the operation :frowning2: ) to improbe the mids  and find that the new sound signature i didn't like it because it lose all the punchy bass and a good amount of midbass and bring a bright highs that i don't like i resolve it on this way: using masking tape to make a better sealed on the six holes on the driver case, the effect its awesome.... it's like the sound goes out the case more compressed and powerfull over all on bass frequencies that brings an awesome punchy bass to the ears... and the better its that the sounds keeps itself analytical, detailed, with a very good soundstage and a less recessed lower mids due to no sticker-dammper. maybe the sound becomes a bit less neutral and more coloured but it's more more fun to hear...
I think it's a good mod that improbe the sound of this cans (over all for "punchy bass" lovers signature) and if you want to probe it's reversible (if you don't broke the damper on the process.. like i did...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back