Suggested IEM for rockboxed Sansa Clip+
Feb 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wolvebain

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

Please suggest some IEM to be used with a rockboxed Sansa Clip+.  Would be using it to listen to the follow music:
  1. Guitar Instrumental [Buckethead, Satriani, etc]
  2. Classic Rock [Led Zepp, Cream, etc]
  3. Prog-Rock [Dream Theater, Tool, etc ]
  4. Rap-Core [RATM]
  5. Some R&B & Rap [Public Enemy, Run DMC,  Wu Tang Clan, etc]

I prefer'd a more attacking bass sound.

I'm in South Africa, so no many brands are easily available, so suggested online shops that ship internationally would be appreciated.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 13
Willing to go up to USD350..

I've been looking at the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition @ MP4Nation, as well as the Sennheiser IE 80.. Unfortunately, the Sennheiser IE 80 are ~USD417 in my country :frowning2:

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 13
If you want high attack on the bass, then microdriver IEMs are the way to go in my experience - the new ATH CNK 50 and 70 are a fraction of your budget and said to be very good value. I started a thread here asking about IEMs that sound like the HD25, one of the classic high bass attack headphones, you my want to look at the responses there - they should all be very relevant.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks scuttle. 
I currently own a pair of ATH-CKS 55's, and tho they're great for their price, they're a tad uncomfortable [shape/size]. 
Their bass is good, and after removing the filter, the mid's and high's seem clearer.

Can't seem to find anything on the ATH CNK 50's or 70's.. but if their the same design, then I would have the same issue.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 13
The JVC FX700, Sony EX1000, FXZ200, Westone 3 (small yet offer good isolation and punchy bas) are highly recommended and they all offers tight punchy powerful bass and overall detailed soundquality. But if need small for factor with good punchy bass then Klipsch Image X10, X5, Sony XBA3, Yamaha EPH100, Westone UM2 and GR07 are great buy under this budget and you can AMPs for further improvement(AMPs increase bass).

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions HFAUDIOPHILE; much appreciated!

I actually returned a pair Sony XBA3's the next day, cos of really harsh highs..
Grated, I only used the for a day, and never really burnt them in, tho I doubt that burn-in would have had a DRASTIC effect to have changed my mind... 
One GREAT thing about the XBA3 were  their fit and comfort!

Unfortunately, there are no local suppliers of the JVC FX700, Sony EX1000, FXZ200, or Westone 3's in my country...
But I see you also suggest the GR07, which I can import from MP4Nation.  So, I'll go with the GR07, but the bass edition, just to be safe [?], along with a very small amp, the FiiO E6 -- the Sansa Clip+ is so small, so the amp would have to small as well.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Thanks scuttle. 
I currently own a pair of ATH-CKS 55's, and tho they're great for their price, they're a tad uncomfortable [shape/size]. 
Their bass is good, and after removing the filter, the mid's and high's seem clearer.

Can't seem to find anything on the ATH CNK 50's or 70's.. but if their the same design, then I would have the same issue.

It's so irritating when that happens; have you tried alternative tips? Complys, Shure Olives, Sony Hybrids? I think the 70s do look like the same design I'm afraid. You might want to take a look at some of the other suggestions on that thread -  they should sound similar but fit hopefully differently.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions HFAUDIOPHILE; much appreciated!

I actually returned a pair Sony XBA3's the next day, cos of really harsh highs..

Did you try EQing down - heavily - everything over 15kHz? Most people can't hear this stuff directly, but it still contributes to distortion products at lower frequencies.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 13
@scuttle: I actually imported some 'MEElectronics Original Eartips for M11+/M11P+ Earphones (10 pairs of ear tips) (Black)' for the ATH-CKS 55's & a pair of SoundMagic E10's [found the standard bi-flange the bets for isolation], but it's the Dbl-[size=x-small]Air Chamber[/size] they use that tend to irritate my ears after awhile...

On the Sony XBA3, I didn't try `EQing down`.. I don't use an EQ on the Clip+, but I did drop the tremble down and raise the bass... Sound was VERY DULL, but it didn't give me a head-ache... 
Even tried the Sony XBA3 on the same set-up as my Senn HD650 [Headphones < Samson CQue 8 < Asus Xonar Essence One < USB < PC < Winamp | ASIO | VST Plugin+ Voxengo's CurveEQ' | Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP].. Harsh Highs...

I've just ordered & paid for the VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition + FiiO E6 portable amp... I'll update you guys as soon I get 'em :)

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
@scuttle: I actually imported some 'MEElectronics Original Eartips for M11+/M11P+ Earphones (10 pairs of ear tips) (Black)' for the ATH-CKS 55's & a pair of SoundMagic E10's [found the standard bi-flange the bets for isolation], but it's the Dbl-[size=x-small]Air Chamber[/size] they use that tend to irritate my ears after awhile...

On the Sony XBA3, I didn't try `EQing down`.. I don't use an EQ on the Clip+, but I did drop the tremble down and raise the bass... Sound was VERY DULL, but it didn't give me a head-ache... 

Ok: you should really try the EQ. The crude treble/bass adjusters are just... awful. Most people don't hear much - or even anything - over 15-16kHz. And killing this region can kill a surprising amount of harshness, because (I think) of the distortion products at lower frequencies. It's why some "audiophile" products likes the Hifiman players implement a similar filter.If you go to Settings >> Sound >> Advanced EQ you'll see a Highpass Filter. Set it for about 16kHz and floor the decibels; you shouldn't notice anything other than reduced harshness. There should certainly no dullness at all - it here is, you can give a tiny boost (say 0.5db) using a peak filter with its centre set to around 12-14kHz. Otoh, if you still hear harshness, try a lower frequency for the Highpass. This won't always work, but it often does. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Been a while since I've last posted.. Sorry about that; things have been busy at work and home.

Just wanted to post an update:

The VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition's were awesome!.. Loved them, and only had a small issue with needing to clip both the Sansa Clip+ & the FiiO E6 on the shirt.

I later sourced a pair of Yamaha EPH-100 and was really blown away!  I used the smallest ear-tips and get a great seal, removing the need for the FiiO E6. Biggest issue was actually rather small: cable seemed to be designed for tangling :p

I also started to miss phone calls by not answering them in time; I use a walking stick, so one hand available whilst walking.
I tried a few Bluetooth stereo earphone receivers [plug-in earphones, not built-in] aptx, from the cool and small Sony's to getting an APT-X LG one, and even modding one with non-removable earphones with a 3.5mm stereo socket [an Audio Technica ATH-CKS99BT] ... they were good, but not sure if it was my then phone [SG-Note 3] or the fact that the Yamaha EPH-100 needed a bit more power..

Which leads me to my current set-up: Bought a new phone + new IEM's with mic & in-line controls.
The new IEM's with mic & in-line controls is the Sennheiser IE80 + custom SPC cable with a mic & in-line controls [ side note: Jays headset controls rocks ]
The new phone is an HTC One M8... Crazy awesome sound :)
Love the current set-up!  works perfectly!!!

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 13
Sansa Clip is quite a good player, and works well with IEMs that tend to the bright side, as the treble is quite smooth on it.

Best I have heard for rock and metal is the T-Peos H-300, which you can now get in the "no frills" version as Altone200 for significantly less $$. See here for info on purchasing, but please be aware that there have been reports of some manufacturing problems yet, so you take the risk of getting a dud and having to return it etc. That said, they are a hyper-detailed and exciting IEM with powerful bass with fast decay and great accuracy. Really great value for $$. And they sound especially good with a Clip, as it tames the aggressive highs somewhat.

Other option is the Ostry KC06A, which is a little less detailed and with slower bass, but brilliantly tuned for rock/metal and with smooth highs and great imaging. I've owned the Yamaha EPH-100 as well, and IMHO the KC06A kills it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back