SRH840 impression
Jan 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,576 of 2,135
I got the 840s on sale and am very satisfied with them. I would probably feel less so if I had paid full price.

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #1,577 of 2,135
After 50+ hours of pink noise and some regular use. Now Srh840 sound better much better. the harshness in the upper mid and high is gone. replaced with warm yet neutral sound similar to UM3x but little more prominent high slightly upfront mid. the detail is amazing. I can hear the breath of those string quartet players easy that was never noticed before the break in. from now I will be using them normally to see how much more can they improve. btw I just order some Mogami 2534 and neutrick 3.5mm female planning to re-cable it. should I go dual entry or just single 3.5mm entry that I can use any interconnect ? I will not have the equipment or golden ear for the need of balancing the headphone in foreseeable future.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,579 of 2,135
Really enjoying mine. I find them to be neutral and having nice transparency. I good buy for me...

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #1,580 of 2,135
Anybody find it very hard to find the optimal position for the 840?
I find that it sounds like everything is coming from the top of my head if I put the driver lower than my ears(increasing the length of the extension part)
The soundstage seems the most normal when keeping the drivers at the same height to my ears and more foward respect to the ears
It seems that it contradicts the suggestion on the website of Meier audio
Anybody have other ideas on this topic?

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #1,581 of 2,135
I just posted on DIY cable gallery. This is my SRH840 Complete re-cabled internally with ALO 24 awg SXC cryo wire and 3.5mm Neutrick replaced stock 2.5mm socket. this is my first even recabling work in head phone. now I can use straight cable. the can is not mod for balanced applcation because I don't have sch equipment. this is just for ease of use. hope you like it.
beyersmile.png

P1050540.JPG

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #1,583 of 2,135
Hey...I like it too. Maybe I should try something like this...

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,585 of 2,135
The only way to lock the adjustment setting in place is to either glue it - bad idea - or apply a zip-tie forcefully to the bands, so that they do not close further. This was one of the most annoying things about the SRH-840's. That and the headband which I have no solution for. Problem solved with the much more comfortable Denon D2000's.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #1,588 of 2,135
Thanks all for the appreciation, It turns out better than I expect since I dont have much tool and this is the first attempt. now I need to make a ALO SXC IC to match the internal cable. I looked into the internal as well as the coil cable. the wire is so thin almost like a IEM cable. I just don't feel comfortable knowing the wiring is so thin. I was amazed when I cut open the the coil cable it is like 20% metal and rest of them is rubber.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #1,589 of 2,135
I had a hard time finding a good fit too.

I'm a woman, but I think my head size is pretty average. I found the right setting for me was to set both sides to 7, put them on, and then as I ease the headband forward I can feel the ears "click" (or lock) into place around my ears.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #1,590 of 2,135
I got mine last week, so in terms of burn-in it's still a fledgling pair. I use these massive things for "portable" use--basically the purpose of buying these was to block out some of the commute noise that comes with subways.

I like them a lot driven from my iPod nano. These are my first pair of closed full-sized cans. They're very laid back next to my reference points (SR225 and HE-5), and I do appreciate the presentation, which I found wasn't so laid back as to make Rock its "weak genre".

For me, it's hard for me to pick out an altogether favorite headphone from my very small collection. If someone asked me to pick the ones that produce the best sound, it's easy to say the HE-5. But I can't bring my HE-5's around, and those things can't really play very well from an iPod. What I'm trying to say is I think there's plenty for me to still enjoy out of the 840 in spite of having heard a phone that is a vertical upgrade (HE-5) and another phone that is in a many ways a lateral "upgrade" (SR225). So, while I will not dispute the claims of some people who didn't like this phone, I think for $130 this was well worth my money. Of course for ppl who looooove the Grado sound or any other signature to the point where personal preference leaves little room for tolerance, then yeah... these might not be for them.

My favorite part about these headphones is their seeming durability. I haven't put these to the test of time as many others have, but after owning the HE-5 for over a month, I'm glad to have a pair that I can "rough up" a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back