SRH840 impression
Jan 11, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,546 of 2,135
I have a pair of Srh840 coming in and want to know how much time is necessary for burn in if i am using pink or white noise

thank you

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,548 of 2,135
+1 to that. Just listen to them and enjoy any change in sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #1,549 of 2,135
Yeah...enjoy them, burning them in as you go. I'm at about 150 hours or so just from listening and I like what I hear more and more.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #1,550 of 2,135
Just got mine today, ordered on the 27th of December, so not bad when it came to waiting.

Onto the out-of-the-box impressions.

... Wow.
atsmile.gif

I got these partly to replace my now-deceased M50's, and I can safely say these sound leagues and leagues better. Much deeper bass, but it isn't as hard-hitting as the M50's, but that might change with burn-in. Soundstage, is just amazing, the m50's sound like Beats by Dre compared to it in terms of soundstage. (Wall of sound) But Ive never heard soundstage like this in any can I've owned..
bigsmile_face.gif

I'll provide more info later with burn in, if anyone wants to know more detailed info compared to the M50's just tell me.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #1,551 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiimote007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine today, ordered on the 27th of December, so not bad when it came to waiting.

Onto the out-of-the-box impressions.

... Wow.
atsmile.gif

I got these partly to replace my now-deceased M50's, and I can safely say these sound leagues and leagues better. Much deeper bass, but it isn't as hard-hitting as the M50's, but that might change with burn-in. Soundstage, is just amazing, the m50's sound like Beats by Dre compared to it in terms of soundstage. (Wall of sound) But Ive never heard soundstage like this in any can I've owned..
bigsmile_face.gif

I'll provide more info later with burn in, if anyone wants to know more detailed info compared to the M50's just tell me.

The bass will tighten up. These phones are great. I enjoy them for everything. They have some great bass and I like the warm dynamic sound. Fun cans

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #1,552 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass will tighten up. These phones are great. I enjoy them for everything. They have some great bass and I like the warm dynamic sound. Fun cans

Glad to hear it, I like a good bass punch, but even right out of the box, these dont sound bad in any way to me.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #1,554 of 2,135
My friend has the 440's and I've been trying them out lately before I got my 840's.. I can say that in my opinion:

- The 440's have a smaller soundstage.

- The 440's have MUCH.. MUCH less quantity of bass.

- I haven't been able to compare directly yet, but I believe the 440's are slightly smaller.

I can provide more info once mine have burnt in.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #1,555 of 2,135
I was thinking of writing a more in depth review, but I think those have already been done to death so I'll just post my notes here:

Quote:

- very wide fit, band sits on the top of your head rather than across your crown, band adjustment is very loose though
- not a strong clamping force, soft pads
- quite comfortable overall, but a bit heavy, not very steady, bad for moving around
- you can't really lean back or lie down without the headphone sliding
- ears warm up quickly
- soundstage: feels like you're right in the middle of the band, separation is almost too strong and can be distracting/fatiguing
--- an amp with crossfeed is highly recommended
- very very slight echo, like a concert hall, adds to the "fullness" of the sound
- kind of finicky about amps; sounds different depending what you use, so lots of room for experimenting
- sounds very "open" for a closed can, perhaps like in a small room
- strong bass but not overwhelming, smooth mids and highs
- vocals not as sharp as Grado, but still pleasant
- drives just as easily as the Grado80
- very unforgiving of bad recordings and compressed formats
- slightly fatiguing sitting in the middle of the band, very "in your face" or rather in your ears
- good isolation, though I've heard (or lack thereof) better
- excellent for recording/studio/etc work and games
- not so great for movies (see fatiguing/soundstage above)
- folding it up, good fit, works better staggered instead of recommended config
- 1/4" adapter, threaded, slightly askew, but works well

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #1,556 of 2,135
I got my SRH840 today, immediately I open the box and put it to the test. using Foobar2000 out to NuForce uDAC compared with my 9 months old UM3X. using a Japanese album called Ultimate Diamond to test it out. my initial impression is not positive. uDAC is a neutral to slightly warm DAC and the mid and high of SRH840 is shrill, the sweetness of the vocal was replaced by stretchy voice. the high and upper mid is not as clean and clear. the low is punchy but not not at the level of UM3X probably due to recessed high of UM3X and probably not deep as PFE but still quite good for fresh out of box. my complaint is the upper mid and high being too shrill.

comfort wise they are ok, I do feel the headband and leaning back is a big no. ear pad get warm pretty quick, definitely not for hot day.

I decided to let in burn in using pink noise for 20 hours and see if the shrill goes away, can't really listen to this level of shrill in music

Updated:
After 20 hours of pink, white and little bit of regular music, the shrill reduces and mid warmed up a little. I am going to do another 20 hours of pink,white burn in again to see if they improve more and warm up more.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #1,557 of 2,135
I own the UM3X too and plan on buying the SRH840 sometime this year. I would let them burn in for 200hrs, as I do for every headphone, 300 for amps. I am sure all the flaws you have discovered will go away.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,558 of 2,135
I got mine today, ordered back on the 4th from NSL. Initial listening is quite amazing with my udac. The udac makes quite a bit of difference in the clarity, much more clear with. The fit of the headphones is great, very comfortable. The headband is not near as hard as the one I tried at GC, which is good. Although, it could be positioning. I am hearing things that I've never heard. I will make more judgements later when the headphones burn in, and my ears adjust to a much higher quality phone.(It's been over 3 years since I have had a quality set of sound producing items.) And yeah, I know what soundstage sounds like in a headphone now!

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #1,559 of 2,135
I don't understand what people mean by "I am hearing things I have never heard before". Even when I used my crappy iPod earphones playing garbage mp3 files on the 1st gen nano, I still heard the things I do today with my Westone UM3X and iPod touch/Walkman X1060 playing .wav files. Maybe it's because all I ever listen to is rock and metal? Even with my ALO-780 setup, I still hear no new sounds. Sure,everything is a lot clerer, there ismore detailed bass etc, but I still hear the same notes on each instrument. Maybe my ears have been ruined after all these years of istening to terrible audio.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #1,560 of 2,135
Would anybody be willing to take out a ruler and measure the earpads on the SHR840?

It would be nice to know if they really are thicker then the SHR440 pads or if the difference is comfort only.

Only that note, has anybody found any thick pads (velour?) which are compatible with the SHR840?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back