SRH840 impression
Jan 16, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #1,561 of 2,135
stang - For me, it is being able to hear definitive instrument separation. Also, I listen to bands like Mutemath and As Tall As Lions, and quite frankly there is a lot of going on and usually there are un-traditional instruments being played in the background. But that's just me. I went from a pair of Sony NC7's to these. The addition of the udac helped quite a bit with the clarity too. Most of my music is lossless.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #1,562 of 2,135
I'm really stuck b/w this one and akg 271 mk2.Has anyone here heard both these cans? I did search,but could not find anything convincing.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #1,563 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by asrphani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really stuck b/w this one and akg 271 mk2.Has anyone here heard both these cans? I did search,but could not find anything convincing.

I spent a few hours with the 272HD, which is more or less the same can from what I've read. I played mostly 320kbps mp3 from Windows Media Player (works quite well on Windows 7) > Nuforce Icon mobile (dac) > DIY amp with single buffers and class A

The 272 was a bit more comfortable since it's not as heavy and didn't clamp as much. Listening to The Coral, Dire Staits and the latest Muse, the AKG sounded quite nice. I had no problems with the highs, the bottom end was decent and the mids quite sweet. I thought for a moment that I should suggest swapping 'phones with the guy I borrowed them from, untill I put on some earlier Muse, Billy Talent III and Scars on Broadway... I couldn't live with those highs, not refined at all. My ears soon started hurting, and the volume was set pretty low. Also, now I discovered these 'phones had that boxed in "plastic sound" you often get from a closed can.

Even though the SRH840 performs far better than the 272 with this kind of music, there still are some flaws. The high mid bump can be a bit too much and it doesn't respond well to lower bitrate mp3s. Also, it's quite heavy. It clamps a bit and isolates well.

Depending on your music, the AKG's might just be the thing for you.

K

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #1,564 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a few hours with the 272HD, which is more or less the same can from what I've read. I played mostly 320kbps mp3 from Windows Media Player (works quite well on Windows 7) > Nuforce Icon mobile (dac) > DIY amp with single buffers and class A

The 272 was a bit more comfortable since it's not as heavy and didn't clamp as much. Listening to The Coral, Dire Staits and the latest Muse, the AKG sounded quite nice. I had no problems with the highs, the bottom end was decent and the mids quite sweet. I thought for a moment that I should suggest swapping 'phones with the guy I borrowed them from, untill I put on some earlier Muse, Billy Talent III and Scars on Broadway... I couldn't live with those highs, not refined at all. My ears soon started hurting, and the volume was set pretty low. Also, now I discovered these 'phones had that boxed in "plastic sound" you often get from a closed can.

Even though the SRH840 performs far better than the 272 with this kind of music, there still are some flaws. The high mid bump can be a bit too much and it doesn't respond well to lower bitrate mp3s. Also, it's quite heavy. It clamps a bit and isolates well.

Depending on your music, the AKG's might just be the thing for you.

K

Thank you enemigo,comfort and lower bitrate mp3's are not a serious concern for me.Only thing is, i read somewhere that akg's have the best mids,which i'd probably miss.I'm sure it will not be really too long b4 i get one more HP after this..
L3000.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #1,565 of 2,135
Quote:

Thank you enemigo,comfort and lower bitrate mp3's are not a serious concern for me.Only thing is, i read somewhere that akg's have the best mids,which i'd probably miss.I'm sure it will not be really too long b4 i get one more HP after this..
L3000.gif

I have both the AKG 701 and the Shure SRH 840. Very different presentations. The 701 are very neutral and have a big sound stage with the best detail and highs and need a good amp. The 840 are more up front with great bass and super mids. They compliment each other. I enjoy both

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #1,566 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 840 are more up front with great bass and super mids. They compliment each other. I enjoy both

Infact i was wondering if the 840's and hd555's presentation would be entirely different or it would be similar to an extent.Happy to here that 840's are more upfront.

Now i feel the shure's are more neutral and with better extension both ways.The senn's ( HD555) are much more laidback and with the highs a little rolled off.Is this observation acceptable?
regular_smile .gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #1,567 of 2,135
Quote:

Infact i was wondering if the 840's and hd555's presentation would be entirely different or it would be similar to an extent.Happy to here that 840's are more upfront.

Now i feel the shure's are more neutral and with better extension both ways.The senn's ( HD555) are much more laidback and with the highs a little rolled off.Is this observation acceptable?
regular_smile .gif

I haven't heard the 555 but from thos you have posted the 840 are better than both the 555 and 595. Chris Martens who writes for the Absolute Sound reviewed them on Playback and said the 840 are a new benchmark for cans up to and more than 400.00 cans. You will not be disappointed with them. They are very dynamic and put me in the room at live recordings. Listening to Sinatra at the Sands is like being at the concert.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #1,568 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little bird told me that Shure is making a straight cable available in the New Year.
wink.gif

-Ed

According to the Shure site, still nothing
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #1,571 of 2,135
Like 90% of head-fi recommendations are pure FOTM.

Anyways, I still think they sounded nice to me but I just never got an x factor that my other headphones have. So I sold them. Other people have reached that conclusion too. The biggest point for me was their sound stage [for closed headphones] and the price.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #1,572 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like 90% of head-fi recommendations are pure FOTM.

Come on, be fair! I think the real number is closer to 89%.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #1,573 of 2,135
been reading posts calling this FOTM for last 3 months now...lol

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #1,574 of 2,135
That doesn't make them "bad" phones though.. People just like new things. I still think that for their price-point they truly are hard to beat. People seem to disregard the long burn-in period and source requirements though. Not to say they sound bad from an iPod, but switching to the Hifiman HM801 really shook things up.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,575 of 2,135
I am still enjoying the SRH840, months later. They are great for use when i am on the road - the fact that they are collapsible and very tough makes it great to just throw them in the suitcase. And for the money I think they sound excellent. I would have liked a little more bass weight, but not so much that I need a different headphone for this application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back