SRH840 impression
Jan 30, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #1,606 of 2,135
My eyes are bleeding and I've spent way too long here, but I managed to read all 107 pages of this thread.. ouch.

Anyway, I've been looking for my first set of 'real' headphones, and the Shure SRH840 seem like they might be it. Full details of what I was looking for are in my thread here.

Despite all the conflicting info and contradictory impressions, I hope they're what I'm looking for. Mainly, I am looking for something that's not as retardedly bright as the Grado 225's, but not as relaxed as the Senn HD580's. Something like the Senns with more forward mids without the massive bass of the PX100's would be something that seems perfect for me, for listening to mostly Jpop.

Would I be making the right choice? What do you guys think?

Also, are any of the previously mentioned discounts still active? I'm seeing $200 everywhere, but I'm not sure if anyone is still taking discount offers/quotes, like NLS's ridiculous $118 price quote. I'd jump on those if it's still active.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #1,607 of 2,135
I posted the price two days ago...of course they're still active. NLS is not as great as it seems. it's 18 dollars shipping for 3-5 day ground. I don't get why they charge so much for it. j&r is much cheaper for 129 free shipping. Plus j&r is more dependable since it's a bigger company. NLS wouldn't even let me ship to my apartment since it's not listed on my credit card.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #1,608 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkScythe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, are any of the previously mentioned discounts still active? I'm seeing $200 everywhere

That's the price listed on the site, I got mine from J&R .. you need to call them for the low price ..

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #1,609 of 2,135
Yeah, I'm aware some prices were posted recently, but I have no idea if they were some kind of time-limited special or what, so I asked just to see.

I'm assuming you have to call J&R to get the 129 pricing? I see the full $200 price online, but regardless of shipping or not, I get charged tax.
frown.gif
Though I can do in-store pickup for almost instant "shipping." Either way, NY's 8 7/8% tax brings it up to $140.45 if I can get $129.00 (plus $4.50 train fare, lol.) I suppose NLS will only be marginally cheaper if it's $118+18 shipping, although is $18 the only shipping rate? PA to NY doesn't seem that far/expensive..

I considered trying to see if anyone tried asking Headroom for a discount, since they also offer 30day returns, where J&R doesn't accept returns for audio gear, I think. Neither does RMC, apparently. :/

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #1,610 of 2,135
JR allows returns on headphones within 30 days. They have excellent service with a no questions asked return process. Sometimes they'll even offer a few bucks off the price you paid if you want to keep them.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,611 of 2,135
DarkScythe, I live near Penn Station so if you are really interested. you can "bring your source" to audit my srh840 if you don't mind they are moded a little before pulling the trigger.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #1,612 of 2,135
Quote:

Yeah, I'm aware some prices were posted recently, but I have no idea if they were some kind of time-limited special or what, so I asked just to see.

I'm assuming you have to call J&R to get the 129 pricing? I see the full $200 price online, but regardless of shipping or not, I get charged tax.
frown.gif
Though I can do in-store pickup for almost instant "shipping." Either way, NY's 8 7/8% tax brings it up to $140.45 if I can get $129.00 (plus $4.50 train fare, lol.) I suppose NLS will only be marginally cheaper if it's $118+18 shipping, although is $18 the only shipping rate? PA to NY doesn't seem that far/expensive..

I considered trying to see if anyone tried asking Headroom for a discount, since they also offer 30day returns, where J&R doesn't accept returns for audio gear, I think. Neither does RMC, apparently. :/

I though the $18 shipping was a bit steep too at first, but at the time that was the best price on these so I got them. Turns out that going to the UPS site and manually calculating leads to something close to $13, so a small overcharge isn't too bad imo. I guess that's the price of the "free" shirt they also sent me

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #1,613 of 2,135
I wasn't aware J&R allowed returns on headphones; A friend of mine who's into audio simply told me J&R wouldn't take returns on audio stuff, so I figured that included headphones. Reading into their return policy, they specifically state that in-ear headphones are not allowed me to returned, but I'm not sure if that means every other type of headphone is in the clear or not.

Hsiu, thank you for the kind offer. I saw the pictures of your modded phones on the previous page; I've got to say they look awesome. While I'm not a huge believer of cables, I do assume they may make a small impact so I think if I get desperate I'll try and pick up a pair at J&R to listen to them stock first. If I ever decide to keep them and want a recable though, I'll see if you'd like to help.
smily_headphones1.gif
On the other hand, if I find more negative reviews about these today, I may reconsider, so I'll keep it in mind.

Homeless, I have to admit I chuckled at the thought of a random t-shirt for a headphone order. In any case, with $18 shipping it's only $4 away from me simply walking to J&R and picking up a pair with tax, so I don't think I'll go with them. Anyone have any idea if RMC is still quoting low prices, or if HeadRoom is willing to drop to $129 as well? Even if I were to call J&R, I'm not sure what to say; I can't exactly ask for a price match since everyone is advertising $200 - I have nothing to match against. Is it just ask for discounts, or what's the current sale price? Or maybe mention "A bunch of head-fi'ers have been getting $129"? lol, I don't know..

Edit:
Also, wow. I just figured out what the 'coiled cable' was.. lol. That looks pretty terrible; Has there been any news on a straight cable replacement or option, either from Shure, or maybe a cheap aftermarket?

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,615 of 2,135
When I called RMC 2 days ago they didn't have any in stock so they couldn't price match their own price. I would just go to j&r if I were you. To me NLS seems kinda iffy since you can't buy anything online. Plus you have to give them every bit of information on your credit card just to order. I don't know how honest they are to other companies but to the regular consumer, they don't seem like they care too much for your business if you can't even set up something to order online.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #1,616 of 2,135
Quote:

I wasn't aware J&R allowed returns on headphones; A friend of mine who's into audio simply told me J&R wouldn't take returns on audio stuff, so I figured that included headphones. Reading into their return policy, they specifically state that in-ear headphones are not allowed me to returned, but I'm not sure if that means every other type of headphone is in the clear or not.

Hsiu, thank you for the kind offer. I saw the pictures of your modded phones on the previous page; I've got to say they look awesome. While I'm not a huge believer of cables, I do assume they may make a small impact so I think if I get desperate I'll try and pick up a pair at J&R to listen to them stock first. If I ever decide to keep them and want a recable though, I'll see if you'd like to help.
smily_headphones1.gif
On the other hand, if I find more negative reviews about these today, I may reconsider, so I'll keep it in mind.

Homeless, I have to admit I chuckled at the thought of a random t-shirt for a headphone order. In any case, with $18 shipping it's only $4 away from me simply walking to J&R and picking up a pair with tax, so I don't think I'll go with them. Anyone have any idea if RMC is still quoting low prices, or if HeadRoom is willing to drop to $129 as well? Even if I were to call J&R, I'm not sure what to say; I can't exactly ask for a price match since everyone is advertising $200 - I have nothing to match against. Is it just ask for discounts, or what's the current sale price? Or maybe mention "A bunch of head-fi'ers have been getting $129"? lol, I don't know..

Edit:
Also, wow. I just figured out what the 'coiled cable' was.. lol. That looks pretty terrible; Has there been any news on a straight cable replacement or option, either from Shure, or maybe a cheap aftermarket?

They are pretty good in stock form. I did the re-cable just for using straight cable. keep in mind this phone sound pretty shrill before fully burn in. you need to be patient and pink noise does accelerate the burn in as long as you don't over use them.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #1,617 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I called RMC 2 days ago they didn't have any in stock so they couldn't price match their own price. I would just go to j&r if I were you. To me NLS seems kinda iffy since you can't buy anything online. Plus you have to give them every bit of information on your credit card just to order. I don't know how honest they are to other companies but to the regular consumer, they don't seem like they care too much for your business if you can't even set up something to order online.

I ordered mine from them back in December. They were some of the most friendly people I have worked with as far internet sales goes. Besides being backordered, my headphones arrived in a very timely manner(to Oklahoma). I know there are quite a few other people who have similar experiences.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #1,620 of 2,135
Yeah, I don't have the equipment to reterminate anything myself, so I'd probably look into having someone else do it. Honestly, I don't think It'd matter too much, but having found out what a coiled cable is, I'll probably try and see if someone could just make a standard straight cable out of that using their connector; nothing too fancy.

Thanks for the tip on pink noise though; How long should I leave them in for? I thought I was supposed to just leave pink noise on them for 5 days straight or something.

Anyway, I sent off an email to Headroom yesterday, I'll see if they plan on doing anything about the price. If not, it seems I don't actually have to call J&R; a friend of mine was over there today and just called me to let me know not only do they have it on display at the store available to try out in a source of your choice, they also have it listed in-store as $129, so no negotiations needed. If Headroom doesn't respond, I guess I'll just head over tomorrow morning before work to pick up a pair.

He also took a quick listen and said based on what he's heard, I should like them, so here's to hoping it turns out well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back