SR60-Mod
May 12, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #3,796 of 5,004

Quote:
ok, i have seen some g-cush information... but really... 3 types of foam still does not explain the price of 40$... i mean in my country the price is about to this.... and i consider it a little too ridicolous for two pieces of foam.... but i will test them anyway...

They're $83 in the UK...

Quote:
I think I was the one that might have misquoted you about saying they sounded like Bowls.. I know I heard it somewhere, obviously not from you.. Anyhow, sorry mate.

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions Larry. Question for you. Have you heard both the G cush and the Jabens or just the Jabens? Your thoughts about the porosity of the foam effecting the sound more makes sense. My new cups are kind of heavy so it doesnt take long before the phones start becoming uncomfortable. So I end up switching to the jumbo's for the comfort factor, they sound alright, but the bowls sound way better. I'm just looking for a compromise and curious as to whether the knock off jumbo's can provide it.   

Quote:
OK not going to comment anymore on the pads since I seem to have stirred up some angst. I'll just choose whatever pads at my own discretion.

I'm not angry at all, just very stressed at the moment because I have big exams in a couple of weeks so my post came across worse than I meant it.

This is my post where I explained how I thought they sounded after being asked: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod/3315#post_7429444

I think I did use the words "sound like bowls" in another post when someone asked simply why I liked using them or something, but I really meant 'sound similar' to rather than sound the 'same as' when I said like, I was just trying to give a simple answer.

I haven't heard the G-Cush, they're just way too expensive here so I'm only going by what I've heard about them, and it was pretty unanimous that they made the highs shrill and painful, which is just not the case with my 'fake' ones leading me to believe they do have different effects on the sound. Also Project, in the post I linked to on the previous page, it using distancers with his cups. IMO that will have quite a big effect, even relatively between them as instead of there being different densities of foams adjacent to the driver there's metal instead and that will probably mean the foam structure has less of an effect and they'll end up sounding more identical simply due to being the same dimensions.

Kneel, probably worth a try as they are fairly inexpensive (comparatively anyway) but also I think it'd just be good for someone else to try them because what my ears hear might not necessarily be the same as everyone elses, and you actually have real G-Cush to compare to.

May 12, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #3,797 of 5,004
L-Cush is made from 2 types of foam, but then Grado puts this weird shiney plasticky stuff into the pores near to where they clip onto the drivers. I'm pretty sure this is just to add some more structural integrity to the foam so they stay held to the driver better without getting stretched too much and loosening.

edit: also the plasticky stuff is at the top too, probably there's to reduce the wear with rubbing against your head.

Quote:
You have to consider what is involved in shaping the foam. From the looks of my my L-Cush pads they are made from three foams as well than they most likely lathed. Similar to the way we used to cut down our foam tires for R/C racing. You used a mini lath and a sharp blade and cut it down while the tire spun at high RPM's to true it.  I'm sure it goes deeper than this but the price is reflective of the process and the different materials used. 

May 12, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #3,798 of 5,004
no harm done! I'm right in the middle of my exams too. Are you doing your degree? My exams are the same time as England since I'm studying in university of london, although it's an external system.

I'll be buying the eBay cups off a person who bought extra and selling them for 20% cheaper than on eBay in about half an hour. I'm assuming they won't have as much diminished bass seeing as they aren't as far from the drivers as g-Cush is. I'm doing a lot of assuming since I only read abt how g Cush sounds on Grados without distancers.

Once again can't comment on how they sound till I get my cups.. I could however comment on the density and construction if any of you are interested.

May 12, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #3,799 of 5,004

Quote:
Grado dampens the back of the magnets on their higher up models.. That's why we replicate it with dynamat here. I'm fairly sure. Actually, damn near all of these mods are taking differences between the higher and lower models and bringing them down to the lower models. If that makes any sense.

I think I was the one that might have misquoted you about saying they sounded like Bowls.. I know I heard it somewhere, obviously not from you.. Anyhow, sorry mate.

Ok Thanks for the info . Since it only takes a  short time to re-open the shells now. I will Try out Dampening the back of the magnets Again, but this time both shells .Maybe Any  change,if any, would be better heard in stereo . Though Grado dampens the back in their higher models, we don't have the information on why they do this only in the higher models .Are the lower models just down graded or are some of the difference's only related to the individual models. I.E - Having different drivers or constructed from different materials .
If only all this closed information was open for all to see all would be a lot clearer .

Quote:
OK not going to comment anymore on the pads since I seem to have stirred up some angst. I'll just choose whatever pads at my own discretion.

Back to mods. I'd like to know if any of you have taken a multimeter to your recable job and found that the ground on and signal seem to be linked using the continuity test?

I was testing my viablue plugs and took a multimeter to it to check which pins I'll have to solder to and realised that the signal and ground seem to have "merged" on my jack. I checked my solder and its all clean and very seperate. what makes sense to me is probably the plate that we use to solder the wires to seems to be the cause. This being my first and only driver mod, is this normal?

If the "viablue plugs" that you are testing are actually connected to the headphone via a cable, then you will get a reading using a continuity meter that "the signal and ground seem to have merged" .This is normal usually because they are merged, as they are now both connected together through the headphones drivers.

If your using a continuity meter that has measurements in ohms,a relative high reading should be OK . A reading of 0 Ohms shows that you have a direct short .A Direct connection from Signal to ground which is a fault that needs fixing. A reading of infinite ohms or if the meter is showing the highest reading it can, show a open circuit which if the plug is connected to the cable and then headphones shows that a connection,wire etc is broken somewhere .

So like I said if your plug is connected to your headphones that signal & ground will read as "merged" . If your plug > cable is not connected to the headphones drivers then you should get a open reading that shows the signal and ground are not connected together .

May 12, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #3,800 of 5,004

Quote:
Grado dampens the back of the magnets on their higher up models.. That's why we replicate it with dynamat here. I'm fairly sure. Actually, damn near all of these mods are taking differences between the higher and lower models and bringing them down to the lower models. If that makes any sense.

Ok Thanks for the info . Since it only takes a  short time to re-open the shells now. I will Try out Dampening the back of the magnets Again, but this time both shells .Maybe Any  change,if any, would be better heard in stereo . Though Grado dampens the back in their higher models, we don't have the information on why they do this only in the higher models .Are the lower models just down graded or are some of the difference's only related to the individual models. I.E - Having different drivers or constructed from different materials .
If only all this closed information was open for all to see all would be a lot clearer .

Quote:

Back to mods. I'd like to know if any of you have taken a multimeter to your recable job and found that the ground on and signal seem to be linked using the continuity test?

I was testing my viablue plugs and took a multimeter to it to check which pins I'll have to solder to and realised that the signal and ground seem to have "merged" on my jack. I checked my solder and its all clean and very seperate. what makes sense to me is probably the plate that we use to solder the wires to seems to be the cause. This being my first and only driver mod, is this normal?

If the "viablue plugs" that you are testing are actually connected to the headphone via a cable, then you will get a reading using a continuity / ohmmeter that "the signal and ground seem to have merged" .This is usually normal :) , as they are merged, as they are now both connected together through the headphones drivers.

If your using a continuity meter that shows measurements in ohms  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm ,a relative high reading should be OK . A low reading of for example 0 - 2 Ohms shows that you have a direct short .A Direct connection from Signal to ground which is a fault that needs fixing. A reading of infinite ohms or if the meter is showing the highest reading it can, shows a open circuit,  if the plug is connected to the cable and then the cable to headphones a open circuit shows that a connection,wire etc is broken somewhere .

So like I said if your plug is connected to your headphones that signal & ground will read as "merged" . If your plug > cable is not connected to the headphones drivers then you should get a open reading that shows the signal and ground are not connected together .

Well that should be the case in the most basic of electronic circuits like are used in a majority of headphones .Simply a energy source/mp3 player/amp etc> moving a load /Headphone Drivers .

May 12, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #3,801 of 5,004
Thanks for the detailed info. I thought that signal and ground would be separate through and through. Didn't realize the minute it connects to the driver it becomes mixed. I wasn't too worried since they played fine. =D

Edit: I've just received and paid for the eBay cups. Wow these are nice! Seems better made than the jaben cups I saw in the sense that everything seems cleaner less like a DIY foam cup. And no sticky residue on my fingers. The inner lining where the drivers go are a little rougher perhaps for grip? Foam seems softer than the bowls from what I remember and there doesn't seem to be any residue on the sides like the original cushions have for structure. It seems to hold it's shape well. 24usd well spent in my opinion =D

May 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3,802 of 5,004
UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!

I just had to put them on my drivers and have a listen.

One side had the wooden cup the other side was exposed.

The amount of clarity was amazing. Instrument seperation, vocals, and not to mention the Sub Bass!!!

My body is still tingling from what I heard.. its as if there was an explosion inside me. This was with my crappy cable that seems to have a bit of a spiffy connection right out of an ipod unamped. I have no idea what these are going to sound like balanced.

Never heard the G-cush but damn these pads are amazing! This coming from comfies and 414s.

Bila Bill please reply my msg =(

May 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #3,804 of 5,004

[size=medium]
"much more better...?" what school do u go to?   
etysmile.gif

[/size]

Quote:
hey, everyone, i heard that carbon fibres are much more better than wood itself.... at schoool.... is this true?.....

May 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #3,807 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info. I thought that signal and ground would be separate through and through. Didn't realize the minute it connects to the driver it becomes mixed. I wasn't too worried since they played fine. =D

Edit: I've just received and paid for the eBay cups. Wow these are nice! Seems better made than the jaben cups I saw in the sense that everything seems cleaner less like a DIY foam cup. And no sticky residue on my fingers. The inner lining where the drivers go are a little rougher perhaps for grip? Foam seems softer than the bowls from what I remember and there doesn't seem to be any residue on the sides like the original cushions have for structure. It seems to hold it's shape well. 24usd well spent in my opinion =D

Those are definitely the ones I got with my Jaben cups then. I can't tell you what the Jaben guy showed you when you went to visit, but it certainly wasn't what they sent me.

Quote:
UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!

I just had to put them on my drivers and have a listen.

One side had the wooden cup the other side was exposed.

The amount of clarity was amazing. Instrument seperation, vocals, and not to mention the Sub Bass!!!

My body is still tingling from what I heard.. its as if there was an explosion inside me. This was with my crappy cable that seems to have a bit of a spiffy connection right out of an ipod unamped. I have no idea what these are going to sound like balanced.

Never heard the G-cush but damn these pads are amazing! This coming from comfies and 414s.

Bila Bill please reply my msg =(

May 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3,809 of 5,004

My apologies... I didn't mean any malice or judgment... I thought I was being funny, but I guess it was in poor taste. I hope you'll excuse my attempt at a joke...

Quote:
sorry, i am not from england, or an english main country... i am from romania, and u see, i have to learn english, latin, french, deutsch, romanian and some portughese.... this country is the only one where u must learn everything to be good!.....

May 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3,810 of 5,004
Well, carbon fiber is much stiffer than any wood, has higher velocity of sound in it, and from what I've read it's structure already works like a dampening system. It's lighter and quite easy to form.

From my personal experience carbon fiber cups give  increased clarity and superb bass in quality and quantity even without venting the drivers. If you have no skills/tools/tonewood to buy locally then consider CF as a nice alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back