SR60-Mod
May 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3,826 of 5,004
Those look like drill bit stop collars to me... I have a bunch in one of my tool boxes; I think I bought a set at Home Depot or the woodworking store Woodcraft for under five dollars. Mine are all black but I think I've seen chrome versions too...

May 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #3,827 of 5,004

Quote:
I've been trying to get my hands on some brass or gold plated shaft collars appropriate for the grado rods.

Wje do you happen to see any that fit that description? They used to have but I think its no longer in production.

Through my travels, I've located the 2 or 3 manufacturers of these parts.  Gold seems like it's a very hard option to find.  The silver / zinc ones that I picked up have black set screws.  If I were you, I'd buy the silver / zinc ones and then remove the black screws.  Apply a few light coats of gold spray paint.  Let it dry, then insert the black set screws.  I think that contrast between the gold collars and black set screws would look pretty nice.

May 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #3,828 of 5,004

Quote:
Those look like drill bit stop collars to me... I have a bunch in one of my tool boxes; I think I bought a set at Home Depot or the woodworking store Woodcraft for under five dollars. Mine are all black but I think I've seen chrome versions too...

If you've located them at Home Depot, that would be an awesome thing.  It certainly would open up the avilability of these parts for those people who don't want to order on-line from the various vendors.  When I visited my Home Depot this past week, I didn't find them in the hardware section where they have all the specialty items in those small slide-out drawers.  However, since you did mention that you've used them as drill-bit stops in the past, I suspect maybe they have these things located in that aisle instead.  On my next trip to HD or Lowes, I'll check out the drill bet section of the tool area and see if they have these items to offer.

Using this solutions seems like the solid way to go.  I've read of those users who have used the clear nail polish, which seems to work for a few months, but then starts to give way again.  When I fix something up, I want to do it as manly as I can - I want to lock that set screw in place and ensure it won't move again until I decide to loosen it up and move it myself.
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #3,829 of 5,004
I'm sure I got them at Home Depot, in the tool isle/corral. If I remember correctly, they were made by Vermont American and were packaged in a small bag... couple years ago now, so it may be hit or miss in locating them yourself...

May 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #3,831 of 5,004
Silver Zinc are what I'm using. I bought mine from a radio controlled car parts website. The screws are black on mine too, looks fine, just face them inwards. Just make sure you don't buy really tall ones otherwise they look ugly, mine are 5mm tall which is basically the size of the screw as you can see.

May 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,834 of 5,004

Quote:
wje if you find them get me some silver ones with the black screws as you said please. I'll buy 2 pairs from you =) none of the online retailers want to ship to Singapore and I can't find them locally! Been looking for months!

I'll let you know on late Monday what I've received from the shipment.  Those were the version from another vendor.  The price was only $.57 cents each, plus a small amount of shipping.  I can't imagine 4 of these costing too much to ship to Singapore in a small, padded envelope.

Quote:
Amazon has the part as well which comes up with an easy search and shipping costs do not increase with more then one unit

Is it worth getting four to put a set above and below or will two work fine?

Personally, I'd buy 4 if you're making the order.  If you decide to use just 2, then you can just put the 2 away for later.  However, if you just buy 2 initially, and decide 4 would be better, then you get jammed on the shipping to get that 2nd pair.

Quote:
Brilliant guys!  I never had trouble with the rods slipping until I put wood cups on... now it is a bit annoying.  I'm all over this one!

Not really brilliant.  Just sharing the good stuff that I've encountered in my readings on this site.  We'll have to thank those others who have done the leg-work in the past to make this possible.  Again, the 1/8" inner diameter model is the size to get.  The set screws have to get backed out a few turns before you slip them over the silver rods on your Grados, then adjust them accordingly and finally turn the screw a few times to lock 'em in place.

Quote:
Silver Zinc are what I'm using. I bought mine from a radio controlled car parts website. The screws are black on mine too, looks fine, just face them inwards. Just make sure you don't buy really tall ones otherwise they look ugly, mine are 5mm tall which is basically the size of the screw as you can see.

The ones that I've received are a normal height - just like in your pictures.  However, you've made a good point to ensure you're not getting a set of these that are too tall.  That would not be a good situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back