SR60-Mod
May 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #3,841 of 5,004
Those are gorgeous

Quote:
Hello, i finally order some new cups. This is my best shot!
Her you have some information about.
http://recopasgrado.blogspot.com/

Greetings from Spain.

May 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3,842 of 5,004
Se ven geniales Cabillas, me hacen querer tener mis copas ya mismo para empezar con los mios 
cool.gif

May 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3,844 of 5,004
Hey Guys!!!!!  Whats up!!!  I been out and about doing research and here's what I found out:
 A buddy sold me one of his HM-602's for like barely anything but here the thing not only does it sound excellent with any IEM or Headphone I've connected but when I hooked up my modded SR60's the Grado's said "Now this is where I need to be" (not really but humor me, I'm old) and they sound AMAZING, the best sound from anything anywhere that I've ever heard.......I embellish a lot but I seriously doubt anybody here would have anything negative to say about this setup....I was meant to mod these for this purchase of the HM-602...PERFECT is a good word for the sound.

I got my MP-301MK2 and after solving some initial hum problems this amp now rules the roost so I'm selling the first one soon but I know some of you guys expressed interest way back when I was thinking about MK2, so PM me if interested before I post it. If I get $100 plus shipping I'm good and you get a nice 6-watt X 2 amp.

For anybody that likes IEM's- Todd The Vinyl Junkie has some original Sleek Audio SA6's NIB for $129-look in used gear/clearance, I got some they sound incredible and also talked to Sleek and because TTVJ is an authorized dealer I'll get warranty coverage if something goes awry....I hear in the wind that SA6 owners may get a discount coupon on the next version due soon, soon, can't confirm, all rumour....

Fiio E11 is the $60 amp everyone dreamed about, apparently due shortly as in days its a winner bigtime!!!

Peace.....
 Ed

May 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #3,845 of 5,004
I have a few questions and thought some of you might know.

I did several mods on my SR-80 and like the results. The only problem is that I went too fast on the hole punch mod and did not like the results with 10 holes. I originally went with 4 I think, but somehow just went overkill. With 10 there is too much mid-bass on my pair. It's very bloated sounding.

I thought the best way to correct this is to use paper masking tape, but the sound has just not been the same. It's missing something.

I doubt anyone knows, but what purpose does the felt covering those holes have? Does it completely block out air or does air still get in?

Is there a better alternative to completely reversing this mod to just how it was before? It seems like when I used a thicker material it killed the highs, so I'm going to assume that felt still let in a bit of air? maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about!

I'm going to recable these next week. Has anyone tried Mogami with the SR-60 or 80? I love Mogami and it should be the best match. Based on my experience, Canare messes with the sound too much. Mogami seemed to offer the clearest sound without adding too much of anything. On the Canare I've experienced rolled off high frequencies slightly and too much bass.

One last question...

You know how some headphones have thin fabric paper covering holes around the driver? What is this? Does this also block out air completely or limit the air getting into the driver? What material can you buy that is the same thing? Masking tape?

Long ago I thought air could flow through masking tape slightly, but it doesn't. I didn't realize this until I tried a few experiements with other headphones,

BTW I'm still using my Koss Pro DJ 100 headband with my SR-80. I love that combination, but for larger heads it's much too small. I still believe the DJ100 comes from the same manufacturer as the Grado drivers. Same size and everything. DJ100 driver can even fit in the SR-80 shell.
normal_smile%20.gif

Today I think I might do some modding with Akasa foam and see if I notice any changes. I have some spare Canare wire around, but I might just wait until my Mogami arrives.

May 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3,846 of 5,004

Quote:

I doubt anyone knows, but what purpose does the felt covering those holes have? Does it completely block out air or does air still get in?

I'm going to recable these next week. Has anyone tried Mogami with the SR-60 or 80? I love Mogami and it should be the best match. Based on my experience, Canare messes with the sound too much. Mogami seemed to offer the clearest sound without adding too much of anything. On the Canare I've experienced rolled off high frequencies slightly and too much bass.

The felt will slow down, absorb, etc. some of the air movement going through the rear of the driver.  I have felt covering all 10 of my holes.  The sound is excellent - doesn't seem to mess with the highs at all.  Then again, the felt is not glued in areas directly over the holes either - just on the edges so the holes can still move air through the felt.

I have Mogami cable with my SR225 Grados.  It's a great cable to work with.  Other than that, I won't provide any additional comments because cable benefits are usually disputed and I don't want to fuel any fires.

Quote:
Fiio E11 is the $60 amp everyone dreamed about, apparently due shortly as in days its a winner bigtime!!!

Hey, Ed.  Nice to see you popping back in here.  Yes, the FiiO E11 is looking very promising.  About a week ago, I e-mailed on of the U.S. distributors - Micca Store (which sells on their Web site, through eBay, etc.) about the amp and asked when it would be available here in the U.S.  They indicated late-May was the expectation.  That's getting awfully close.  It will be interesting to see what kinds of goodies shows up in the for sale section if this amp can do what the reviews on it have stated.

May 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3,848 of 5,004

and to contrast with Cabillas's..

the more I listen to these the more i am convinced that SR60 (which I only heard the stock) and the SR80 are totally different animals. 8 holes punched and damnped the back of the driver, and they are too dark, too much bass. I want BOM. but I am listening a lot of BOOOOM, I dislike dark signatures, so IDK why did i punched holes in the first place, well, back to cover some I guess...

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my wood cups.

May 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #3,849 of 5,004

Quote:

and to contrast with Cabillas's..

the more I listen to these the more i am convinced that SR60 (which I only heard the stock) and the SR80 are totally different animals. 8 holes punched and damnped the back of the driver, and they are too dark, too much bass. I want BOM. but I am listening a lot of BOOOOM, I dislike dark signatures, so IDK why did i punched holes in the first place, well, back to cover some I guess...

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my wood cups.

James,  If you can get your hands on some felt, please do so.  You could cover some of those holes up and I'm sure you'd be happy with where the sound ends up.  However, from looking at your modified headphones with the larger grate screening, you might want to avoid pink felt, as it will be quite easily to detect.  Stay with a darker color (e.g. black).   
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3,852 of 5,004
"The Liberace Edition"....that made me bust out laughing.....very funny, it struck me right between the eyes....LOL.

wje re:E11 ---One guy from head-fi that did a review on the E11 couldn't fit the word WOW on the page amymore....must be pretty nice, and some cool stuff will pop up for sale for sure.

MP-301 is SOLD to my friend B. B.

I'm always lurking around here.....I still got some stock SR60's to mod or whatever so I'm reading everything, I wish I had access to a lathe---wow!!!!

May 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #3,853 of 5,004
Is this the only place where such cups are available? or maybe another color? (enough red already and wje keeps picking on me for it 
mad.gif
 )

If not i'd have to do what ___ did and remove the color, but depends on how nice does the red looks IRL.

btw, does aluminium cups make the sound less dark than wood cups? Im guessing this because of the high resonance of the wood. but if anyone can share some experience please.

I have 2 grados for mod and want one in aluminium and one with wood. Im trying to decide which in each cups.

May 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #3,854 of 5,004
When I was looking around for metal cups a year or 2 ago, that was when Jaben released these cups for sale, I didn't like the colour though my gf naturally did, so I looked around for other options, but there were none!! strange ain't it.

hahaha don't worry so much about your colour choices though, if you like it get it. today I was considering the possibility of pink cups for myself =D

May 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #3,855 of 5,004
NEW TOY

It's a milling vise.  It lets me center objects for drill-press work and gives me control over the X and Y axis.  Absent a three- or four-jaw self-centering chuck for the lathe, I've found the best way to center objects for lathe work is to leave the center uncut until after I've completed the lathe work.  The challenge has been to go back to the drill press and hold the object in place without having something, like the rest of the board, to hold it in place.  In my greenest days, I actually held objects with my bare hands (bless the beasts and the bilavideo).  I later switched to using a $4 hand-held clamp to at least keep my fingers out of the danger zone.  But with this bad boy, I'm happy to have more stability and control - and maybe a little better safety as well.  It cost me $70 but it helped me to have a very productive Saturday.

Who'd have thought any of us would find ourselves, at this point in our lives, cruising Harbor Freight with lust in our hearts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back