SR60-Mod
May 10, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #3,766 of 5,004

Quote:
nope. itll put it when the wood cups gets here. meanwhile i could try with blu tack.

You could do that.. I just really like mine with 7-8 holes punched with the dynamat, but I do think it would be a bit bloaty without it.

Quote:
I had a theory about why a full liberation sounds better. I think it has more to do with the plastic being removed from the front of the driver than the driver "reacting" with the wood better due to there being lass plastic. I'm not sure if this was brought up but to me removing the material in front of the driver that is blocking sound would have more of an impact than the removal of plastic from the sides. Any thoughts on this? Because if my theory is correct you shouldn't have to do a full liberation you would just need to cut some of the plastic off that is in front of the driver, which may or may not be easier.

Big Bill has done this, the then removed even more material from the backs of the drivers too. I'm pretty sure he was happy with the results.

Quote:

Only three months?
rolleyes.gif
  Seriously, as I recall you where looking for a driver right? Well why not buy a pair of the i Grados for forty bucks and cannibalize them?

+1.. I'd pick up a pair of iGrado's if i need a driver.

May 10, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #3,767 of 5,004

Quote:
Here's my latest project. Not exactly a Grado, but it's related so I thought it'd be ok to post it in this thread. They're Symphones Magnums V2 with CF cups. Had a tough time with it, but in the end I think they turned out alright. I've got a bunch of carbon fiber splinters and dust all over my body to show for it, too.

Fully liberated Grado drivers with a full carbon fiber housing!

Again, please post suggestions on where I can improve, I'm eager to hear what you guys think.

I was thinking that what might be cool is some carbon fiber driver housings paired with some wood cups.

May 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #3,768 of 5,004

Quote:
Its official, I need to find a cheapo pair of parts Grados. Its been way too long and this thread continues to intrigue me. Almost 3 months is too long......

Quote:
Bill is working with me to get me the driver I need. Hes a great guy, that Bilavideo.

I can't wait to listen again......

I'm confused.....

May 11, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #3,770 of 5,004
Hey people, in particular. Lawry! I dropped by jaben in fact I'm still here. And it seems the jumbo bowls offered with the alumod are the original grado jumbo bowls.

Can someone with the pseudo jumbo bowls please post where you got the imitation jumbos that sound like bowls? I need a confirmation that it's the listing on eBay.

May 11, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #3,771 of 5,004
Umm Jaben sent me them with the cups lol..

Would be strange if Jaben switched to sending the official ones, but it makes me a little jealous :p

Quote:
Hey people, in particular. Lawry! I dropped by jaben in fact I'm still here. And it seems the jumbo bowls offered with the alumod are the original grado jumbo bowls.

Can someone with the pseudo jumbo bowls please post where you got the imitation jumbos that sound like bowls? I need a confirmation that it's the listing on eBay.

May 11, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #3,772 of 5,004
I think you should compare your cups to those on eBay. The eBay cups are flatter where the driver goes. The official cups are more protruding by comparison.

He was so confused when I asked about the oem china made bowls. And the guy is from china lol. And he said the official bowls are the bowls they've had all along.. Damn things left black stains on my fingers after fiddling with the inner ring.

May 11, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #3,773 of 5,004

Quote:
I've seen SR60is gone for 55 to 65 in ebay. the other night was one with a screwed cable for 15$

Yes, $55 - $65 for a used pair, plus shipping.  When you factor all of that in, you could easily get a new pair from a local - authorized retailer for Grado.  Pay a small amount in tax and own a brand "new" set of Grados to start modding on.  It's down to peanuts.  As far as waiting for those "$15 specials", it's quite rare when they do appear.

May 11, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3,774 of 5,004
Well, he was wrong. You should do a search on head-fi for other posts about the Jaben mod, everyone received the unofficial jumbos, no one has received official ones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521560/jaben-grado-woody-alumod-bundle-anyone-go-for-it/15#post_7084784

Quote:
I think you should compare your cups to those on eBay. The eBay cups are flatter where the driver goes. The official cups are more protruding by comparison.

He was so confused when I asked about the oem china made bowls. And the guy is from china lol. And he said the official bowls are the bowls they've had all along.. Damn things left black stains on my fingers after fiddling with the inner ring.

May 11, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #3,775 of 5,004

Dynamat Extreme mod V1 .

I only applied the Dynamat extreme mod V1 to one shell so I could compare my results with the un-modded shell .Some people compare there results from memory, though memory can be extremely subjective.I prefer using physical evidence to Gage my sense's  .I would of also liked @ hand some scientific instrumentation to measure any change but I'm not a Audio engineer so used my ears without any secondary and conclusive evidence  .

I thought I'd begin with having lots of dynamat, thus hopefully get a distinct change in sound that I could then use as a benchmark .

The Dynamat extreme mod V1 did not improve the sound .As you'd expect, covering most of the acoustic inner chamber in a energy/sound absorbing material dampened the vibrancy of the headphones & narrowed the sound stage .

I then began de-modding the Dynamat extreme modV1 ,removing a peace of Dynamat and then comparing the results with the non Dynamat shell .When I had removed all the Dynamat without noticing any improvement in audio quality, I then  methodically re-applied some Dynamat but without the silver foil coating . But having still not heard any improvement I have now removed all the Dynamat from my SR80'i shell .

Conclusion:

It is possible that placing Dynamat or any other type of relatively high energy absorbing material may soak up some unwanted distortions . But when using such small amounts,like on the back of the driver for example, any change  will most probably not be within human hearing range.

Though all these small changers can mount up to one Big change ( That's how we can save our natural environment for example ) .

Using Highly sensitive Instruments that can measure any subtle improvements in sound ,is the way to add up all these subtle audio improvements into Big Audio improvements ,

Obviously that is how science has been building upon measured evidence &  evolving our technology ever since the first scientific instruments were created .We could not  land Robots on planets like Mars that can be anywhere between 56 million to 400 million km apart by using subjective idea's .

And exactly the same evidenced based discipline applies  to Audio engineering .

I think I'm going to have to do a little research into what methods headphone manufacturers actually use when developing their headphones .

May 11, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #3,777 of 5,004

Quote:
Well, he was wrong. You should do a search on head-fi for other posts about the Jaben mod, everyone received the unofficial jumbos, no one has received official ones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521560/jaben-grado-woody-alumod-bundle-anyone-go-for-it/15#post_7084784

Well looking at that link and the pic it's hard to tell what the differences might be.

But it seems to me that the back surface of both pads is flat and convexes up. Both pads seem to be of the same size on the exterior. So it's hard to know what the poster, project 86 meant by this:

*The G-Cush style pads that Jaben sells with these don't seem to be exactly the same as original Grado models. They are functionally the same as far as comfort and sound, but they have a few slight differences in build and texture and I can tell they are not identical to the real thing. Again though, they are just as good. 

My question is what are those differemces. If there are in fact differences, even slight ones and the materials used to make the pad are different too, as implied, what are the sonic differences?
What does functionally the same mean?

Anyway I just PM'ed Project to stop by and elaborate and share some impressions with us.

May 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #3,778 of 5,004

Quote:
I'm confused.....

Sorry Big Bill, other Bill (Bilavideo). 

To elaborate, I have been looking for drivers for a few months now. Bila sent me a driver a few weeks ago, but it is fully liberated. I just haven't had the time or desire to liberate my drivers, so it has been sitting. However yesterday he offered to exchange it for a working, non liberated driver which will help me out a ton. Hopefully I can be back in business by some time next week.

I could have bought a new pair, but I can't justify buying a nice pair then hacking them apart. Its not even a money thing, its just something I can't bring myself to do. If I was buying new, I would likely go up a ways to a 325 or RS. Now that I will be able to listen again, my only issue is to turn my unlistened to Fostexes into a Little Dot 1 Amp.

May 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #3,779 of 5,004

Quote:

Dynamat Extreme mod V1 .

The Dynamat extreme mod V1 did not improve the sound. As you'd expect, covering most of the acoustic inner chamber in a energy/sound absorbing material dampened the vibrancy of the headphones & narrowed the sound stage .

Like your test results, mine were essentially the same with my SR325i Grados.  I used Dynamat (with the foil removed) to apply to the insides of the driver cups, like you did as well as to the back of the magnet.  The whole exercise took about 30 minutes to perform - yet, I felt that there were no benefits to taking this much time to line the insides of the cups for no appreciable difference in sound.

May 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #3,780 of 5,004
The originals have that clearly concaved bit at the back, like in the left pic, the ones I have is slightly convex, like in the right pic. They're easy to tell apart I don't see what's hard to tell about it? The ones I have are all made from the same bit of foam. Afaik the grado ones use 2 or 3 different densities of foam throughout the pad.

Quote:
Well looking at that link and the pic it's hard to tell what the differences might be.

But it seems to me that the back surface of both pads is flat and convexes up. Both pads seem to be of the same size on the exterior. So it's hard to know what the poster, project 86 meant by this:

*The G-Cush style pads that Jaben sells with these don't seem to be exactly the same as original Grado models. They are functionally the same as far as comfort and sound, but they have a few slight differences in build and texture and I can tell they are not identical to the real thing. Again though, they are just as good. 

My question is what are those differemces. If there are in fact differences, even slight ones and the materials used to make the pad are different too, as implied, what are the sonic differences?
What does functionally the same mean?

Anyway I just PM'ed Project to stop by and elaborate and share some impressions with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back