SR60-Mod part II
Sep 29, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2,327 of 3,353
I received my cups from Cabillas today (the replacement pair for the ones I sent to Kojaku a few months back.)  This time around, I chose the Iroko wood with the lighter finish.  I'll be looking at a few weeks down the road to work on these a bit to see what I can come up with.

Edit: I want to edit my post as of Oct 1st, 2011.  I'm back in communications with Cabillas.  A PayPal payment has been sent for the 6 pair of cups that remain.

Enjoy!

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,328 of 3,353
I just received My Sapele cups from Cabillas. They look awesome.

On another note.. I am still trying to contact Rahkim.
I haven't heard from him near a month (last contact was on Sept 7th) and have messaged him through the PM system and through Email. I see his Website is now dead and with the Domain Provider.... and I'm begining to worry. Does anybody know what has happened to him..? My cans are with him & would like to have a progress report....

Prabha

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #2,329 of 3,353
I received my cups from Cabillas today (the replacement pair for the ones I sent to Kojaku a few months back.)  This time around, I chose the Iroko wood with the lighter finish.  I'll be looking at a few weeks down the road to work on these a bit to see what I can come up with.

Also, I wanted to alert those who were interested and following the opportunity that I was hoping to put together regarding the remaining 6 pair of cups from Cabillas.  I have not heard from Cabillas in several days when I was led to believe that I would have been a quicker response.  Also, I had conversed with a moderator to see if permission could be granted to do some form of group buy on the cups - though, I don't know how one can consider the sale of 6 pair of cups a group buy. However, I have not heard back from the moderator either way on a decision regarding the sale.  To me, time is money - or, I guess I should really say time is ... time.  Each minute that goes by as I await for something to happen, it pulls me away from other things that I might truly enjoy.   Time is really precious to me right now.  My family needs me.  We had a death in our family last evening as my father-in-law passed away.  My wife has been away from home for a week as he went through his final days in the hospital.  My daughter and I have been trying to keep things running around our house - yet, she has many school activities and studies to tend to.  On top of it all, we're going through a refinance on our home due to the excellent interest rates from early last week.  This means meeting with an appraiser, going through our home, etc. - which will be tomorrow.  Then, on Saturday, we'll drive 4 hours to the funeral. The weekend will be spent with family.

Again, though, getting back to time. When I took on this approach, I really thought the process would go a bit smoother with the cups.  Sadly, it hasn't.  Also, the costs worked out different than I would have liked.  In the end, people would end up paying more for these last few cups than the others that were sold over the past several months.  To me, that seems a bit unfair.  Though, the price is still very competitive when one considers the price of them when compared to a custom set of cups being turned for your Grados.  At this point, time is too thin and too short for me to continue on with this deal that I had wanted so dearly to work on.  You all are free to contact Cabillas and see if he'll be able to release those final cups to you on a person-by-person basis.  Truth be told, I wouldn't have made a dime - considering the time I would have spent handling the PayPal transactions, purchase of shipping envelopes, preparing customs forms, and getting the cups finally shipped out.

I wish there was a better way that this could have been handled, but with so much of it being out of my hands, I feel as though it's hard to commit and make promises with so many unknown variables.

Best of luck to each of you in dealing with Cabillas.  He's a great guy.  One of the best guys I've met in a long time.

Enjoy!

You're a great guy too :) All the best with sorting out everything man.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #2,331 of 3,353
Wayne,
My condolences to your family. I'm sure your wife needs you more than ever now.

As for the cups, I guess you've done more than expected as trying to mediate things that you can't control on both ends usually don't offer a great probability of success unless everyone is committed. Maybe in the end you were the only one making an effort. I think you're doing the right thing drawing a line here and it's time to move on.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #2,332 of 3,353

Quote:
I just received My Sapele cups from Cabillas. They look awesome.

On another note.. I am still trying to contact Rahkim.
I haven't heard from him near a month (last contact was on Sept 7th) and have messaged him through the PM system and through Email. I see his Website is now dead and with the Domain Provider.... and I'm begining to worry. Does anybody know what has happened to him..? My cans are with him & would like to have a progress report....

Prabha

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that he has your cans.  When I dealt with Rahkim in the past by purchasing his pair of burl-cup headphones, he did mention another forum that he hung out on.  Since it's been well over 6 months, the name of the forum slips my mind.  If you have the mailing information that you used to ship your cans out to, you might be able to perform a white pages lookup and get his phone number.  Best of luck to you !!

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #2,333 of 3,353
Without trying to sound too "wishy-washy" Cabillas sent me another PM.  I'm awaiting confirmation to see if there still might be something viable.  You'll have to excuse my tenaciousness, but that's how I roll.  When I'm onto something, it's like a super-adhesive.  When I should let things go, I don't.

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,334 of 3,353

Iroko come out in a medium finish - not dark, but not light like a clear finish either.  Here's a picture of the actual cups on a pair of Grado headphones.

Edit: All cups are gone.  Thank you.

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2,335 of 3,353

Quote:
I am not a MOT - Member of the Trade.  However, in 2 weeks, I will have 3 pair of Iroko cups for Grado headphones available.  These will be the last 3 available as "new" cups and in the market.  If someone is interested, they can send me a PM.  

Iroko come out in a medium finish - not dark, but not light like a clear finish either.  Here's a picture of the actual cups on a pair of Grado headphones.

Wayne - I'm still interested if they are still available.  Full woody - right?

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2,337 of 3,353

Quote:
Wayne - I'm still interested if they are still available.  Full woody - right?

Full woody.  Correct.  If the sun had been out today, I would have taken some better outside shots of the Iroko cups - in the sun.  But, I'm afraid, it's been a bit gloomy here for about a week already.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #2,339 of 3,353

Quote:
Ive wondered what are the chances of these wood cups warping on us over time? slim?

The chances are very unlikely.  The cups from Cabillas have lacquer sprayed on the inside of the cups - which means essentially 100% of the wood surface is protected from the changes in moisture.  Warping usually would occur when moisture enters into the wood then fluctuates by drying a bit.  We have my daughter's violin and cello in our home and we have a humidifier built into one of our furnaces due to the drier gas heat.  However, her instruments were not 100% protected since the inside is not finished off, she'd suffer from loose and broken strings during the winter months.  Headphone cups are a bit different - if protected properly.  Keep in mind how I'd emphasize "protected properly" - by ensuring the insides are coated with poly or lacquer.  When I purchased a pair of cups from Marty, I sealed the inside of the cups and finished the outside.

Now, with that being said, I've heard of the Grado mahogany cups showing some signs of splits or cracks in the material.  Mahogany is a pretty wide-grained wood can suffer from the changes in humidity quite easily - in my experience.  We have mahogany furniture and we're quite careful with it to ensure its sealed, etc.  I suspect the Grado built / turned mahogany cups might not be sealed on the inside, so moisture could affect the wood through humid times and then dry times in winter could cause splitting.

So, essentially, depending on the type of wood, the likelihood of warping is rare, but one will need to ensure the cups are sealed to prevent the cups from fluctuating (expanding, contracting) to prevent cracking.

Edit: All cups are gone!  Thanks.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #2,340 of 3,353
I live in a very humidity zone, but i send cups to differet places and i never hear about a brake in two years. The gloss is thinking in out zone, but with openback without close it come in a little. We thougth this will be the best choice, and this is my finally opinion. John Grado dont gloss inside:

Musical lives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back