SR60-Mod part II
Sep 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #2,312 of 3,353
If you're talking about the cups from Cabillas, they're full woody. The closest comparison would be to the GS1000 in shape I think.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #2,313 of 3,353

Quote:
If you're talking about the cups from Cabillas, they're full woody. The closest comparison would be to the GS1000 in shape I think.

Correct.  Fully woody - no slip on.  Plus, in the original SR-60 Mod thread, I created an instruction guide for removing the drivers using a small craft knife, a few blocks of wood and a clamp.  This has proven to be about the easiest (and safest method) to liberate a driver.

The Cabillas' cups come pre-drilled for the audio wires to get inserted through the wooden shell.  The hole is initially drilled for the SR-60i or SR-80i cable thicknesses.  If you have one of the larger cables - as with the SR-125i or SR-225i, you'll need to enlarge the hole slightly with a larger drill bit.  Then, you would be good to go.

I've always been impressed with the quality of the cups from Cabillas.  His carpenter has been able to turn the cups on a lathe with the precision of a CNC machine.  The drivers easily press into place in the cups, and stay there safely without the use of any adhesives at all.  Now, to me, that is some great precision.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2,314 of 3,353
Quote:

Correct.  Fully woody - no slip on.  Plus, in the original SR-60 Mod thread, I created an instruction guide for removing the drivers using a small craft knife, a few blocks of wood and a clamp.  This has proven to be about the easiest (and safest method) to liberate a driver.

The Cabillas' cups come pre-drilled for the audio wires to get inserted through the wooden shell.  The hole is initially drilled for the SR-60i or SR-80i cable thicknesses.  If you have one of the larger cables - as with the SR-125i or SR-225i, you'll need to enlarge the hole slightly with a larger drill bit.  Then, you would be good to go.

I've always been impressed with the quality of the cups from Cabillas.  His carpenter has been able to turn the cups on a lathe with the precision of a CNC machine.  The drivers easily press into place in the cups, and stay there safely without the use of any adhesives at all.  Now, to me, that is some great precision.

Not that easy to source wooden blocks, I would think. I used a pocketknife and a hammer (steak knives would do fine), and after I got used to the fact that hammering in a knife between the driver and the plastic cup would do no damage at all, the process went pretty quickly and painlessly. But yes, the cups from Cabillas are of fantastic quality.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,315 of 3,353

Quote:
Not that easy to source wooden blocks, I would think. I used a pocketknife and a hammer (steak knives would do fine), and after I got used to the fact that hammering in a knife between the driver and the plastic cup would do no damage at all, the process went pretty quickly and painlessly. But yes, the cups from Cabillas are of fantastic quality.

I figured out the wooden block and clamp idea because I've had enough visits to the emergency room.  That's not to say that everyone who uses a knife would end up with an injury - though, it might just be my bad luck.  I have plenty of stitches in my body at the moment.  Plus, if I were to cut myself on a pair of SR-80 headphones, I'd be pissed.   My E.R. bill would be enough that I could have probably just purchased a set of RS-1 Grados and stayed home without the injury. 
basshead.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2,316 of 3,353
So, here I am chilling out to some tunes from my Onkyo receiver and my Squeezebox.  Boney James is doing his usual jam on the album "Pure."  I have just a straight pair of Grados on - no mods of any type to speak of.  I'm typing a few e-mails and reading a few threads on the forum here.  I then start to think to myself that these don't sound too bad for stock SR-225i Grados - considering I have two pair in wooden cups at the moment.  However, then it occurs to me that the pair of headphones I have on are a 5  year old pair of Grado SR-80 'phones.   Either Grado made better drivers 5 years ago, or age has played a great part of the break-in process for these headphones.  I mean, wow - I'd keep these just as they are as the plastic cups are lower profile since they're not the "i" version.  Amazing stuff !!!

Unfortunately, these headphones will find themselves going into a pair of wooden Sapele cups - which I'm quite sure will improve the sound ever so much more.   Usually, we keep reaching higher and higher with the series of Grado.  But, it's certainly a bit humbling to hear what these are capable of.

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,318 of 3,353

Quote:
I haven't heard back from Curawong, yet.  He was going to check if it would be OK.  in all seriousness, it wouldn't even be much of a group buy.  The quantities essentially are:

4 Pair of Iroko
2 Pair of Sapele

One individual sent me a PM with an interest in a pair of Sapeles.  The pares down the list a bit more.  Plus, my last PM from Cabillas was a bit earlier - he was going to give me an update in a day or so regarding shipping, etc.

For anybody interested I have a pair of liberated 225 drivers that I could install in a pair of those cups. I sold the cups off my woodiesd 225's a few weeks ago, so now there homeless.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,322 of 3,353
^^^ That sir is FUNNY ^^^

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,324 of 3,353
haha, no

I am however a bit worried that I might dance like that once my Magnums arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back