SR60-Mod part II
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2,056 of 3,353

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think I'll get my replacement cups for the pair that I sent off to Kojaku.  So much for trying to be a nice guy.  I guess I'll chalk one up as a "learning experience" on this one. 
rolleyes.gif

That sucks, this seems like good therapy though.

BTW, did you get your Clapton Marsalis CD yet? I just ordered this one. Had the first one on 8 track.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2,057 of 3,353
Wje,

I just now realized you haven't mentioned producing vinyl headbands in awhile.  I realize that leather is a more popular alternative around here, and enough reason to focus on that material, but know that if you did come out with a vinyl option that you were satisfied with I'd probably snatch it up.  Just letting you know haha.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #2,058 of 3,353

Quote:
So I tried taking apart my MS1s with a heat gun and that was a really really bad idea. It melted the mesh on one of the cups a bit...):

It doesn't effect sound and only appearance a little, but it's still annoys me. Eventually I took the cups apart with a spoon and poked the holes I wanted to poke.

Ideally I'd like to get new mesh. I saw a couple of old threads around with a really really cool copper wire mesh mod. Looks amazing, unfortunately it's next to impossible to get copper mesh in Canada. Tried looking around locally to places like Canadian Tire and Home Depot, no luck. McMaster-Carr and Amazon.com has exactly what I want but they don't ship to Canada. The few sites that do ship to Canada charge $30 on top for shipping...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what alternatives I could do? The closest thing I could find was the window screen mesh, but that always comes in huge rolls and I don't think it would look that good.

Most people have found that a few things tend to work quite well.  I've tried window screen - it's not the most sturdy material.  Consider these other options:

- A mesh anti-splatter guard that you buy to cover your frying pan when cooking food, so grease doesn't fly all over the stove top.  These can be purchased at Walmart or any place with kitchen supplies.  KneelJung used this material and it is quite good.  It should be less than $10.00.

- You can also go to Staples or an office supply place.  Buy a mesh letter basket.  They have them in silver or black.  The cost about $11.00 - $12.00, unless you can find them at a dollar store for ... well ... a $1.00.  You could paint the mesh any color you wanted.  Many users here have used this method and shared the idea.  I've found the same materials and found it good stuff to work with.

$30.00 for shipping?  Phooey!

P.S. - You'll need a Dremel or a similar tool to clean up the edges when you remove the plastic grills on your ear cups.  The Dremel will make the job neater and faster.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,059 of 3,353

Quote:
BTW, did you get your Clapton Marsalis CD yet? I just ordered this one. Had the first one on 8 track.

Actually, I just received a notice from Amazon late today that it has shipped.  It should be here on Saturday.  I saw that new Alice Cooper release.  That's wild - you had some of his early stuff on 8-track.  I had some 8-track cartridges ... believe it not.  Kiss, Fleetwood Mac, Sly and the Family Stone, etc.  It was great how they had that "continuous play" feature, but it really would stink when it switched tracks in the middle of a song.  Technology has taken us so far, it's hard to actually imagine at times.  I think I turn 48 next month.  I'm not keeping track of the years.  Was born in '63, though.

Quote:
Wje,

I just now realized you haven't mentioned producing vinyl headbands in awhile.  I realize that leather is a more popular alternative around here, and enough reason to focus on that material, but know that if you did come out with a vinyl option that you were satisfied with I'd probably snatch it up.  Just letting you know haha.

Actually, all of my material purchases for all of the prototypes have all been vinyl.  I currently have about a dozen different vinyl samples that I've purchased up for testing.  I have 17 s.f. of black lambskin to use when I pick up the slower machine.  However, I've found that the vinyl is just as durable, stays clean, looks as good - if not better, etc.  Also, I found "friendly" foam to use, too.  The foam is made from soy and not a bunch of unhealthy chemicals.  I wouldn't call the project a "green" project, but I will use some more logical components for the process. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,060 of 3,353
Quote:
So I tried taking apart my MS1s with a heat gun and that was a really really bad idea. It melted the mesh on one of the cups a bit...):

It doesn't effect sound and only appearance a little, but it's still annoys me. Eventually I took the cups apart with a spoon and poked the holes I wanted to poke.

Ideally I'd like to get new mesh. I saw a couple of old threads around with a really really cool copper wire mesh mod. Looks amazing, unfortunately it's next to impossible to get copper mesh in Canada. Tried looking around locally to places like Canadian Tire and Home Depot, no luck. McMaster-Carr and Amazon.com has exactly what I want but they don't ship to Canada. The few sites that do ship to Canada charge $30 on top for shipping...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what alternatives I could do? The closest thing I could find was the window screen mesh, but that always comes in huge rolls and I don't think it would look that good.

Hey Greentea, this is an old post of mine hope this helps

Quote:
so i just got my cups from cabillas , came in the plastic bag from postage and the cups were wrapped in bubblewrap.. and they came with a black mesh ..... however i didnt really like it as the wire of the mesh was thick and coated in black paint ... methinks that it was gotten off a stationery cup mesh ... anyway, i noticed my mom's kitchen sieve . stainless steel mesh made from china ... around 3usd only after converting it back from malaysian ringgit
removed the mesh from the sieve slowly... took pliers and eased it out of its shell ....didnt have a wire cutter with me and couldnt wait to buy one so used a pair of garden shears (please do not do that) wonder if my dad will find out that his garden shears has gone all blunt ...=(

i removed the mesh from the sieve and then cut them out into circles ... easiest way to cut mesh is not to draw a circle onto the mesh but to draw a circle onto a piece of paper then hold it omto the mesh while you cut around the circle .. plus no marks on the mesh. =)

I hot glued the cut grill inside the cups .. quite easy.

tada ... lol sainless steel grill mesh from a  kitchen sieve ... =) best part about it is it wont rust ... =)

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,061 of 3,353
jinteddy7,

Thanks for chiming in on your method of finding / using mesh.  I forgot about what you did, but I did read about it when you posted it.  We really need to keep the Wiki going here - I remember it was started, but things like that take up free time, that many of us don't have much of.  Though, it would be great to have a "go to" place for repeatable items concerning Grado mods.

I just get sad looking at those Cabillas cups.  I might have to place an emergency call to the "Marty" hot line.  

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2,062 of 3,353

Quote:
jinteddy7,

Thanks for chiming in on your method of finding / using mesh.  I forgot about what you did, but I did read about it when you posted it.  We really need to keep the Wiki going here - I remember it was started, but things like that take up free time, that many of us don't have much of.  Though, it would be great to have a "go to" place for repeatable items concerning Grado mods.

I just get sad looking at those Cabillas cups.  I might have to place an emergency call to the "Marty" hot line.  

I already feel sad looking at Cabillas cups knowing that i have one of his works and there wont be any more if i want to get another .. i already consider his cups to be limited edition cos they are sooo beautiful =) haha ... im at college now and my SR60i's with modded Cabillas cups are waiting for me at home, heard the bad news of Cabillas ... very sad that he is no longer making any more cups .. =( his work is really beautiful ... pics will be taken if the weather is alright once i get home ... darn malaysia's tropical weather .. never know if its going to rain these days

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,063 of 3,353
@jinteddy7

in other news, it just reminded me that the leather headband has finally made its way across the pacific and most of the continental US to (almost) reach my home. I missed the delivery by USPS today but will be able to pick it up directly from the post office tomorrow. really looking forward to it
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #2,064 of 3,353

Quote:
@jinteddy7

in other news, it just reminded me that the leather headband has finally made its way across the pacific and most of the continental US to (almost) reach my home. I missed the delivery by USPS today but will be able to pick it up directly from the post office tomorrow. really looking forward to it
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear =) its a tight fit so be patient when installing it and all should go well =) hope you enjoy your new headband =) cheers

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #2,065 of 3,353
Hey @ people who commented on my mesh issue, thanks a lot!

I looked at window screen myself and it looked really flimsy and you have to buy a huge roll. The look of using a kitchen strainer mesh looks good and they should be cheap/easy to get. I'll look in to getting a Dremel or similar tool. It may probably take a while to get everything together but I'm sure the end result will be rewarding.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #2,066 of 3,353
Has anyone tried the disposable metal mesh you use for barbecue? The squares are much bigger than the kitchen sieve material though.

GreenTea I was in a similar situation. I tried to get the button off, found out that I needed to get the mesh off first. I didn't have Dremel or anything useful like that so I used a file (that you use for wood and metal) and files the sharp edges off. Then I used the finer sandpaper to sand the insides down a little. My SR60 have got no mesh covers right now, and the right cup has no "Grado ring". 

Quote:
Hey @ people who commented on my mesh issue, thanks a lot!

I looked at window screen myself and it looked really flimsy and you have to buy a huge roll. The look of using a kitchen strainer mesh looks good and they should be cheap/easy to get. I'll look in to getting a Dremel or similar tool. It may probably take a while to get everything together but I'm sure the end result will be rewarding.

@Wje Maybe something happened to Kojaku... I read most of this thread and he was contributing quite a bit so it's unlikely that he'll just vanish, right? ._.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #2,067 of 3,353

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think I'll get my replacement cups for the pair that I sent off to Kojaku.  So much for trying to be a nice guy.  I guess I'll chalk one up as a "learning experience" on this one. 
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'm sick of being the nice guy.

[size=10pt]

[size=1.6em] Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me[/size]

[/size]
[size=10pt]    [/size]

You know, in the end, Kojaku, turned out to be an ungrateful P.O.S.  I ponied up the USPS Priority Mail postage and all.  I even responded to his message if I'd like some of the available leather he had, since he offered it.  As soon as he got the cups from me, he barely said "thank you" if that and stopped communicating with me.

I'm really starting to hate this crap.

Wow

What exactly happened here?!

Wayne, you're clearly one of the nicest guys on this board and there's no way you'll come out losing on anything.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #2,068 of 3,353
Sep 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2,069 of 3,353
Oh so Wje's Wayne... 

There are always people who have ulterior motives. It's the internet, you're pretty much faceless here.
But good things happen to people who help others out. It'd be horrible if people started being cold towards
newcomers (like me) just because of one bad apple. 

Quote:
Wayne, you're clearly one of the nicest guys on this board and there's no way you'll come out losing on anything.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #2,070 of 3,353
Quote:
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'm sick of being the nice guy.

[size=10pt]

[size=1.6em] Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me[/size]

[/size]
[size=10pt]    [/size]

You know, in the end, Kojaku, turned out to be an ungrateful P.O.S.  I ponied up the USPS Priority Mail postage and all.  I even responded to his message if I'd like some of the available leather he had, since he offered it.  As soon as he got the cups from me, he barely said "thank you" if that and stopped communicating with me.

I'm really starting to hate this crap.

Quote:
Kojaku, karma always comes around buddy, hope to hear from you soon

I was wondering what happened to him. When I first started following this thread he was posting everyday then after he got his cups and got all his mods done it turned into every 2 or 3 days then he just all of a sudden disappeared. I'm sorry you got burned again wje. Not trying to come across as a self centered ass when I say this but sometimes it doesn't pay being a nice guy and it's better to look after ones self first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back