SR60-Mod part II
Sep 15, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #2,071 of 3,353
Very good pictures. How did you impose it on a white background like that? Photoshop?

Quote:

I think I'm set on getting some wood cups. 

Quick question for those who own woodies.

I've heard that different wood give different tones. What's a good light-coloured wood?
I'm not interested in cocobolo/bloodwood. I'm looking for something that looks like the
Silky Figured Asian wood on Martin's site.

I won't be purchasing this anytime soon, but I'd like to email Martin, ask him about prices
and stuff.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #2,072 of 3,353

Quote:
So I tried taking apart my MS1s with a heat gun and that was a really really bad idea. It melted the mesh on one of the cups a bit...):

It doesn't effect sound and only appearance a little, but it's still annoys me. Eventually I took the cups apart with a spoon and poked the holes I wanted to poke.

Ideally I'd like to get new mesh. I saw a couple of old threads around with a really really cool copper wire mesh mod. Looks amazing, unfortunately it's next to impossible to get copper mesh in Canada. Tried looking around locally to places like Canadian Tire and Home Depot, no luck. McMaster-Carr and Amazon.com has exactly what I want but they don't ship to Canada. The few sites that do ship to Canada charge $30 on top for shipping...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what alternatives I could do? The closest thing I could find was the window screen mesh, but that always comes in huge rolls and I don't think it would look that good.

Hi from central Canada man, have you tried ebay yet? Usually shipping costs isn't to bad depending on whose selling.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #2,073 of 3,353

Quote:
Very good pictures. How did you impose it on a white background like that? Photoshop?

i used white paper as the background, chose a really bright day (at least most of the time) .. then adjusted the color settings to bump out the white so that the paper is brighter and the cups are closest to the color in real life

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #2,075 of 3,353

Quote:
Quick question for those who own woodies.

I've heard that different wood give different tones. What's a good light-coloured wood?
I'm not interested in cocobolo/bloodwood. I'm looking for something that looks like the
Silky Figured Asian wood on Martin's site.

Not sure I get the gist of your question. It seems like you shift gears from the potential or theoretical tonal characteristics of a particular wood and really want to know about the eye candy aspect and prefer something lighter in color. One of my suggestions for a lighter colered wood, would be Korina. That's the stuff the original flyng V was made out of. It's light in color, has some cool history, and is supposed to sound very similar to Mahogany.

Koa would make for some awesome looking cups too, white ebony, or have Wayne put up a pic of his Cebil cups, those things looked pretty sweet and according to him they sound pretty sweet.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #2,076 of 3,353
Bah. My ingrish haz faild me onze again.

Quote:
Not sure I get the gist of your question. It seems like you shift gears from the potential or theoretical tonal characteristics of a particular wood and really want to know about the eye candy aspect and prefer something lighter in color. One of my suggestions for a lighter colered wood, would be Korina. That's the stuff the original flyng V was made out of. It's light in color, has some cool history, and is supposed to sound very similar to Mahogany.

Koa would make for some awesome looking cups too, white ebony, or have Wayne put up a pic of his Cebil cups, those things looked pretty sweet and according to him they sound pretty sweet.

What I meant was, from my understanding, different woods have different sound characteristics. So my next goal would be to get some light-coloured wood cups that sound great. I've read some accounts of people who find that their cups sound a little too darkish after getting woody'd...

Btw, I like the black streaks on white ebony and black korina. Cebil looks nice too. What's that wood used on Grado RA-1 Amp? 

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #2,077 of 3,353

Quote:
Bah. My ingrish haz faild me onze again.

What I meant was, from my understanding, different woods have different sound characteristics. So my next goal would be to get some light-coloured wood cups that sound great. I've read some accounts of people who find that their cups sound a little too darkish after getting woody'd...

I think the jest of what you and KneelJung are trying to narrow down is what's usually referred to as tonewood.  Woods that have certain sound aspects that could be different in regards to sound versus other types of tonewood.  However, you've added another dimension into the mix and carved out some specifics that relate to an appearance that you'd like your cups to have.

I think you could briefly introduce yourself to Marty and provide him with an overview of your plans along with a potential time-line as to when you'd like to be on board.  In that situation, Marty might be able to keep his eyes open for a certain piece of wood that would fit your requirements.  Keeping in mind, that wood is a commodity and the price could float quite a bit based on availability, quantity in the market, etc.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #2,078 of 3,353
Hm. I never thought of it that way. 

I suppose I should get in touch with Marty, but I won't do it just yet.

I want to make sure this isn't an impulsive purchase 
smile.gif

I really like the black korina, but I did some digging around guitar forums and it seems they're much rarer

and more expensive. Love the pattern though.

Quote:
I think you could briefly introduce yourself to Marty and provide him with an overview of your plans along with a potential time-line as to when you'd like to be on board.  In that situation, Marty might be able to keep his eyes open for a certain piece of wood that would fit your requirements.  Keeping in mind, that wood is a commodity and the price could float quite a bit based on availability, quantity in the market, etc.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #2,080 of 3,353
I don't think there is enough of wood surface on the shell to actually impart a significant influence in the type of sound produced with the driver. If there is a difference, it should be subtle.

I speculate based on the fact that on electric guitars, which are quite large and "real" instruments, the effect on the sound produced by the tonewood (or tonewood combo) is way smaller than on an acoustic guitar.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #2,081 of 3,353

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think I'll get my replacement cups for the pair that I sent off to Kojaku.  So much for trying to be a nice guy.  I guess I'll chalk one up as a "learning experience" on this one. 
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'm sick of being the nice guy.

[size=10pt]

[size=1.6em] Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me[/size]

[/size]
[size=10pt]    [/size]

You know, in the end, Kojaku, turned out to be an ungrateful P.O.S.  I ponied up the USPS Priority Mail postage and all.  I even responded to his message if I'd like some of the available leather he had, since he offered it.  As soon as he got the cups from me, he barely said "thank you" if that and stopped communicating with me.

I'm really starting to hate this crap.

This is very unfortunate. One experience like this does so much damage to the good will and generous spirit put out by the rest of the board. Concerns about getting burned on the internet are natural -- and it sucks to see those concerns get reinforced like this. Kojaku, make it right, buddy. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2,082 of 3,353

Quote:
This is very unfortunate. One experience like this does so much damage to the good will and generous spirit put out by the rest of the board. Concerns about getting burned on the internet are natural -- and it sucks to see those concerns get reinforced like this. Kojaku, make it right, buddy. 

I must be dumb. Wth happened?

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #2,083 of 3,353
Also, you should experiment with/without dampening on the magnet. I was surprised how much better sound I got WITHOUT dampening.

Quote:
So I have a pair of vintage (18+ years old) SR60s that a driver finally failed on. I picked up a new pair of SR60is from a fellow Head-Fier in mint condition. Please don't take this as a knock against Grado. They just felt "cheaper". I popped them apart. No heat simply pulled the cups apart, which were crooked.. I thoughtnthe new shroom design added volume, but it does not. Inguessnthey offer more volume, but I don't understand how whenthe end is open.
For kicks I weighed my old drivers compared to the new ones. Same 23.3 grams. I poked three holes to vent the driver, added some dampening to the back of the magnet and swaped the cable for a Cardas I had. It was a fun day.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #2,084 of 3,353
This sucks to hear. I remember your original offer to him... you practically begged to help him out.

I was taken back by your generous spirit, you just dont see that too much these days... keep positive and stay generous, in the end its a GREAT attribute.

Quote:

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #2,085 of 3,353

Quote:
I must be dumb. Wth happened?

Maybe Wayne can give better insight, but from what I could remember:

Kojaku ordered cups from Cabillas. They ended up getting lost in the mail.

Kojaku was distraught and threw a bit of a temper tantrum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/780#post_7632466

Cabillas sent another pair of cups. 

Wayne had an extra set of cups, and offered to send those to Kojaku with the condition that whenever his cups come in, he'd send the Wayne. 

Now, it looks like Kojaku has bila'd Wayne. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back