SR60-Mod part II
Sep 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2,086 of 3,353

Quote:
Maybe Wayne can give better insight, but from what I could remember:

Kojaku ordered cups from Cabillas. They ended up getting lost in the mail.

Kojaku was distraught and threw a bit of a temper tantrum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/780#post_7632466

Cabillas sent another pair of cups. 

Wayne had an extra set of cups, and offered to send those to Kojaku with the condition that whenever his cups come in, he'd send the Wayne. 

Now, it looks like Kojaku has bila'd Wayne. 

Yes, that's essentially some good Cliff's Notes of the situation.  However, instead of Kojaku sending me the cups, I conversed with Cabillas via PM and indicated that I had handled the Kojaku situation for him.  The agreement was for me to then get a set of cups from Cabillas to replace those that I sent to Kojaku.  Cabillas was going to work on getting the set to me, but I may have missed the cut on the last shipment.

As far as Kojaku goes, I just got sick of his whining as I knew of Cabillas' good reputation and how he had successfully delivered as promised to so many people.  I caved in to help Kojaku out.  However, as soon as Kojaku got the cups, he ignored me.  He kept coming back here for a bit to show off his flashy headband, his sock modifications to the pads, etc.  But, really seemed like a very ungrateful person.  I'm not seeking gratitude or pity.  I am both rich (with talents, a great career, good people, great family) and don't need someone to be all gushy with thankfulness.  However, things just struck me as "odd" as soon as the transaction was done.  He offered to send me some leather because of the amounts his mother could get.  However, when I asked, he ignored my e-mail messages.  That's the ungratefulness that I'm talking about.  Simple manners.  That's what saddens me.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,088 of 3,353

Quote:
It makes u wonder if the first pair of cups actually ever really did get lost in the mail to begin with........

dgcrane

Yeah, I'm not sure.  I will say one thing with 100% certainty, though, Cabillas was a very good individual.  Integrity, ethical, honest.  I don't see any faults on his end.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2,089 of 3,353
More Good News - Bad News ...

Good News: My Sennheiser HD-555 headphones sold on eBay yesterday within about 4 hours of posting them as a "Buy It Now" auction.

Bad News: eBay nails sellers with high fees.  Over 9%.  Ouch!  To make matters worse, the offer their "buyer's protection plan" which essentially means that I don't have access to the funds until September 27th, 2011.

I figured I should have probably posted them for sale on this forum first.  But, I wanted the exposure of eBay.  However, I could have sold them at a nice discount here as I would have deducted all of those eBay fee amounts from the price before listing them here.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #2,090 of 3,353

Quote:

Bad News: eBay nails sellers with high fees.  Over 9%.  Ouch!  To make matters worse, the offer their "buyer's protection plan" which essentially means that I don't have access to the funds until September 27th, 2011.

congrats on the quick sale! but as far as I'm concerned, as a ebay buyer most of the time (actually 100% of the time), the protection plan they offer when you pay with paypal really makes my decision making process easier when I desperately want something but it's only available from some seller with not-so-great feedback.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #2,091 of 3,353
eBay fees are indeed insane. More than once I've been tempted to sell stuff there. Luckily, I managed to sell my gear through other less sophisticated channels.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #2,092 of 3,353

Quote:
congrats on the quick sale! but as far as I'm concerned, as a ebay buyer most of the time (actually 100% of the time), the protection plan they offer when you pay with paypal really makes my decision making process easier when I desperately want something but it's only available from some seller with not-so-great feedback.

Correct.  I hear you there.  That's just it - it's a buyer's protection plan, which is a good thing.  However, as a seller - and one with 100% feedback, one would think they would offer us a bit of a better incentive than to have to wait up to 21 days for the money.  eBay fees + PayPal fees + Wait time = Frustration with the whole process.  Sure, they'll deter people who are out there to scam people, but they'll also discourage some of the great sellers, too.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2,093 of 3,353

Quote:
  However, when I asked, he ignored my e-mail messages.  That's the ungratefulness that I'm talking about.  Simple manners.  That's what saddens me.

This in a nutshell Wayne, is the problem with our entire society right now. It permeates every aspect of our lives IMO. Our interactions with each other, and how how people in general conduct themselves. It is what it is I suppose, but it's not how I grew up, or how I was raised. It's as if people went from having a functioning moral compass, essentially conducting themselves with a certain sense of morality to being by and large amoral. This is of course a sweeping generalization, and there are many many exceptions to that generalization, like many of the contributors of this thread seem like the absolute salt of the earth to me. So it's sort of like the Bila situation, in that their was an egregious violation of trust.

Anyway I'm guessing you missed that link I had tied in with the Alice Cooper Post, it was a little 16 second video, that should have given you a chuckle I would think.

@ Koolcat... on the wood thing, I think the type of wood does have an impact on sound, whether it's a softer wood, or a harder wood, the density of the wood, etc. Marty can definitely help you there as far as the best balance between look and sound. Questhate, just had my 60's with the African Blackwood, which hopefiully he can compare and contrast for you with his woodied 60's.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2,094 of 3,353

Quote:
Correct.  I hear you there.  That's just it - it's a buyer's protection plan, which is a good thing.  However, as a seller - and one with 100% feedback, one would think they would offer us a bit of a better incentive than to have to wait up to 21 days for the money.  eBay fees + PayPal fees + Wait time = Frustration with the whole process.  Sure, they'll deter people who are out there to scam people, but they'll also discourage some of the great sellers, too.

There's a lot of scammers on eBay. Their defense is to hold sellers funds as long as they can because of raising levels of disputes and PP has to refund buyers if worse comes to shove... of course, with all the cash flow on that business and the inherent day floats going on it must be a good deal on overnight accounts/short term deposits for eBay
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #2,095 of 3,353

Quote:
of course, with all the cash flow on that business and the inherent day floats going on it must be a good deal on overnight accounts/short term deposits for eBay
eek.gif

Hey now ... I used to work for a very large corporation that had lots of Sun computer equipment for just that very reason.  "Floating" the money in and out of various accounts day and night.  Those were the days ...

And, no, the company wasn't Bank of America or Countrywide Home Loans. 
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #2,096 of 3,353

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure.  I will say one thing with 100% certainty, though, Cabillas was a very good individual.  Integrity, ethical, honest.  I don't see any faults on his end.

+1 - Cabillas is a class act, for sure. Sad to see that he's not offering his cups anymore, but I hope that does not stop him from visiting and contributing to this community. I, for one, was very interested to see how how closed Grado project turned out.

Quote:

@ Koolcat... on the wood thing, I think the type of wood does have an impact on sound, whether it's a softer wood, or a harder wood, the density of the wood, etc. Marty can definitely help you there as far as the best balance between look and sound. Questhate, just had my 60's with the African Blackwood, which hopefiully he can compare and contrast for you with his woodied 60's.

Yep, after being a bit skeptical, I absolutely think the type of wood and the cup design influence the sound. I tried to make things as even as possible -- swapped L-cush pads on both and put the stock cable on mine. The only difference was the wood, and the number of holes vented (4 on mine, 1 on Kneeljung's). The denser Blackwood, and thicker design of the walls, really gave a good sense of weight throughout the entire spectrum. Even though I had more holes vented on my driver, the bass impact of each was nearly identical. Even in the higher frequencies, there was a slight sense of brittle-ness that I never noticed had it not been for comparing to the Blackwoods and the MS-Pros. I think my next set will have to be something dense like Cocobolo. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2,097 of 3,353
So many different types of wood to choose from. Marty just pm'd me with suggestions. Since I won't be getting the woodies any time soon, I suppose I can save up and go for higher-end woods. I'll also be stalking guitar forums and stuff. I'll definitely be woodying up my 60s, unless I decide to move on to speakers... or should I get used 125 or 225s? Hm.. Decisions, decisions.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2,098 of 3,353

Quote:
So many different types of wood to choose from. Marty just pm'd me with suggestions. Since I won't be getting the woodies any time soon, I suppose I can save up and go for higher-end woods. I'll also be stalking guitar forums and stuff. I'll definitely be woodying up my 60s, unless I decide to move on to speakers... or should I get used 125 or 225s? Hm.. Decisions, decisions.

You've just scratched the surface.  Trust me.  Also, regardless of the wood you choose, I'll bet a simple $35.00 mod will completely turn the sound on its head.  Again, trust me.  If I were you, here's the approach:

1. Purchase the SR-225i Grados.  You'll be glad you did.  You will never 2nd guess your decision.  If you buy the SR-125i, you will always think about what that extra $50 would have given you.
  2. Pick a nice material for your cups.  Beauty = class.  But, sound = peace, relaxation and contentment.
  3. Do NOT poke any holes in the drivers. 
  4. Do buy the Todd The Vinyl Junkie "Flats" foam ear pads.  The bass will improve at least 70% over just the wood cups alone.  $35.00 + $5.00 postage.

That should do it.  When do we start? 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2,099 of 3,353

Ideally I'd like to get new mesh. I saw a couple of old threads around with a really really cool copper wire mesh mod. Looks amazing, unfortunately it's next to impossible to get copper mesh in Canada.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/450#post_7607542

See post 460.

If you want this sheet of mesh I'm happy to post it to you for cost of postage.

If this is the mesh you refer to of course. -edit for clarity-

:)

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,100 of 3,353

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/450#post_7607542

See post 460.

If you want this sheet of mesh I'm happy to post it to you for cost of postage.

If this is the mesh you refer to of course. -edit for clarity-

smily_headphones1.gif

That's some nice mesh.  Seriously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back