SR60-Mod part II
Aug 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,786 of 3,353

Quote:
Just to reiterate what I said earlier, I culled this from You Tube. There is also tip of the hat to yellow head band guy just after the 1 min. mark 
blink.gif

That's awesome!  I saw that part of the clip.  Now, I need to ask why artists today can't make such fine music as the Doobies could?

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,788 of 3,353

Quote:
That's awesome!  I saw that part of the clip.  Now, I need to ask why artists today can't make such fine music as the Doobies could?

I'm.. I'm just going to leave this here. I don't really know if anyone will appreciate it, but it's probably my favorite live video on youtube.. actually there are two. I'll have to find the other as well. But, give it a chance, they have great energy, if nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qboe5CebixA

^ this one is Wish by Nine Inch Nails featuring Dillinger Escape Plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUtkPrANRs

here is my other favorite live vid on youtube to date. Arcarsenal by At the Drive-In. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,790 of 3,353

Quote:
I love the youthful exuberance Chris, but this is how us older guys rock, and a tip of the hat to Neil.

Thanks for that Brian.  Especially enjoyed the second clip.  Surprised you didn't link one of the clips you'd posted in other thread (Bonamassa at  Albert Hall) - they were truly magic (I will forever be indebted - just recently bought "Live From Nowhere In particular" 
biggrin.gif
).

Anyway - I know most of you guys are probably more interested in the wood mods, but I thought I'd contribute my progress to date .....

Started off with MS1is - added 414 quarter modded, opened the cups, vented 4 holes (may reverse this eventually), added a small piece of thin foam to the back of the driver (again may reverse), then added bowls.  Just got my Aluminiumcups from Twinster today, and also a Beyer DT770 headband.

So here's the progress to date ....

And the best 'mod' so far was buying a PortaTube - which pairs just magically with new MS1is - the sound is really something else :

Anyway - still to do:

- Get some jumbos
- Liberate the drivers, and replace the plastic 'base' with wood.  Already had brief PM with Marty - and will be arranging this as soon as I can afford it.  Will probably get matched bass + slip-on cup.  Then I can directly compare the wood with aluminium vs all wood.

Assumption is add the jumbos for comfort and sound-stage, aluminium to accent the mids/highs and wood to keep the lows/lower-mids.  A mix of the two should be interesting.

Even with just the simple stuff I've done so far though, the current result is both comfortable and a lot more intoxicating.

I'll keep you posted.

Paul

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #1,791 of 3,353
Brooko (Paul), Good progress so far.  Chris has shared some impressions on using the jumbo pads, so if you can, read up here and there on the pads before making that $45.00 leap.  I like the portable tube amp.  When my piggy bank recovers a bit, I have the desire to explore the world of amps a bit more outside if my FiiO E11.  Also, I see you have Clapton playing on your iPod.  On Sept 13th, Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton will be releasing a duo blue album.  I'm pretty stoked about that release.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,792 of 3,353

Quote:
Brooko (Paul), Good progress so far.  Chris has shared some impressions on using the jumbo pads, so if you can, read up here and there on the pads before making that $45.00 leap.  I like the portable tube amp.  When my piggy bank recovers a bit, I have the desire to explore the world of amps a bit more outside if my FiiO E11.  Also, I see you have Clapton playing on your iPod.  On Sept 13th, Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton will be releasing a duo blue album.  I'm pretty stoked about that release.

All the Unplugged CDs/LPs I've listened are super sounding recordings. Clapton is up there as well as the Nirvana and Alice in Chains recordings. Grados rule here.

This a bit OT, but mods without tunes are senseless!
Since last week I started listening to other genres with the MS1s - these are really growing on me as time go by - and had a couple of eargasms yesterday.

I had this CD tucked away in one of the CD cases lying in the basement and haven't listened to it in quite some time.

This is about a very intimate conversation with two amazing artists/musicians - perfect for that end of day mental reboot. Just sit back, close your eyes and let yourself go: acoustic, 12 string guitar vs double bass. Strings and Grado!

Another beautiful sounding and perfect dialogue, out of the same box, this time performed live is also amazing. The piano, specially, sounds like a perfect percussion instrument with single notes lines... the attack vs the warmness of Haden's bass...
How the MS1s have changed as the cable (and mind) breaks in...

I just got akwainted with Mr. Bonamassa! This is gooooooood!

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #1,793 of 3,353

Quote:
This a bit OT, but mods without tunes are senseless!

I don't think it's off-topic.  It's actually the truth.  At times, I've found myself so focused and driven on the hardware, I overlooked the real purpose for modifying and driving the headphones.  The real purpose was so that I could enjoy the beauty of the  music.  It kind of goes hand-in-hand with my "analysis paralysis" comment a few threads back.  At times, we can become so consumed in deciding which upgrade would be proper and which one to do in a priority order that we eventually get paralized with the decision process.

Rock on, Jazz on, Blues on, Classical on ... whatever it may be that you listen to.  Enjoy! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #1,794 of 3,353
I forgot to post about this...

One think I'm noticing as I move away from "rock" and into jazzy/world/classical tunes with these MS1s is an effect that was already hinted at me previously, but I was too focused on listening to other things is the fact that these cans have a sort of playing field with the musical presentation that changes as the "front" instrument comes out.

It's hard to describe in words, but when you're in front of a band and they are all playing simultaneasly there's a certain wall, a close to your face wall, that limits the soundstage from the front center, but... when an instrument or voice stands on his toes to let you know that it's solo time, that wall breaks and that voice/instrument jumps in your face leaving the resdt of the players on their place.

This is the only time I get a sense of depth on these cans. It's not exactly a problem, more of a stating of a fact as soundstage is never what I look for on a headphone. On most rock type recordings you can't really tell this "jumping" factor as there's a lot of compression on the recording. On some more audiophile stuff, where the dynamic range is more present not only in the recording but on the kind of instruments used, this becomes more apparent. No lateral soundstage.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,795 of 3,353

Quote:

Thanks Wayne.  I'm talking to Chris at the moment about his jumbos.  May not be worth it to ship to NZ (freight and exchange) - we're just pm'ing at the moment to see what's best for both of us.  I'll definitely be getting a set anyway - I'm very interested in seeing what it will do to the sound - especially when I eventually woody them, or hybrid wood/aluminum.

The E11 goes nicely with the Grados (I have one as well) - the extra warmth, plus the ability to add punch with the bass boost goes really good.  The PortaTube is the most expensive thing I've bought so far (audio), and I've got to say, it's been totally worth it.  Unfortunately it's going to lead me to upgrade my home set-up eventually as well - got me hooked on tubes.  It has amazing synergy with the Alessandros - just really brings out the mids.  BTW - thanks for the tip on Clapton/Marsalis album - I'll look out for it.

@Xaval - totally agree with you on the albums.  I have both the Nirvana and Alice In Chains unplugged.  They are spectacular.  I'll check those other two out tonight.  If you want another few that sound wonderful (on my set-up anyway):
*Acoustic Guitar" Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live (for a taste google "Keith Don't Go" - should be an acoustic version on youtube somewhere - sorry at work, otherwise I'd post a link).
*Amazing Blues* Joe Bonamassa - "Live From The Albert Hall" - I got hooked on this by Bryan.  Still trying to get a copy in NZ.
*Smooth Jazz* - Diana Krall - "The Girl In The Other Room" - not a live album, but with the MS1is this album just sounds sooooo good.

Also - if any other Grado/Alessandro Jazz lovers out there - got a tip from a friend the other day - Melody Gardot (I now have her "Worrisome Heart" album) - well worth a listen.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #1,796 of 3,353
Hello, i´m working again. Here we have a new spanish champion in my first foro. I think you will want to see him work for him personal headphones.
http://www.auriculares.org/foro/index.php/topic,5912.msg69572/topicseen.html#msg69572

Greetings from Spain and enjoy the music.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,797 of 3,353
Woah, I mean holy...

Quote:
Hello, i´m working again. Here we have a new spanish champion in my first foro. I think you will want to see him work for him personal headphones.
http://www.auriculares.org/foro/index.php/topic,5912.msg69572/topicseen.html#msg69572

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,798 of 3,353

Quote:

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,799 of 3,353

Quote:

Uhhh...................

Sorry, let me just pick my jaw up off the ground.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #1,800 of 3,353

Quote:
Thanks Wayne.  I'm talking to Chris at the moment about his jumbos.  May not be worth it to ship to NZ (freight and exchange) - we're just pm'ing at the moment to see what's best for both of us.  I'll definitely be getting a set anyway - I'm very interested in seeing what it will do to the sound - especially when I eventually woody them, or hybrid wood/aluminum.

The E11 goes nicely with the Grados (I have one as well) - the extra warmth, plus the ability to add punch with the bass boost goes really good.  The PortaTube is the most expensive thing I've bought so far (audio), and I've got to say, it's been totally worth it.  Unfortunately it's going to lead me to upgrade my home set-up eventually as well - got me hooked on tubes.  It has amazing synergy with the Alessandros - just really brings out the mids.  BTW - thanks for the tip on Clapton/Marsalis album - I'll look out for it.

@Xaval - totally agree with you on the albums.  I have both the Nirvana and Alice In Chains unplugged.  They are spectacular.  I'll check those other two out tonight.  If you want another few that sound wonderful (on my set-up anyway):
*Acoustic Guitar" Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live (for a taste google "Keith Don't Go" - should be an acoustic version on youtube somewhere - sorry at work, otherwise I'd post a link).
*Amazing Blues* Joe Bonamassa - "Live From The Albert Hall" - I got hooked on this by Bryan.  Still trying to get a copy in NZ.
*Smooth Jazz* - Diana Krall - "The Girl In The Other Room" - not a live album, but with the MS1is this album just sounds sooooo good.

Also - if any other Grado/Alessandro Jazz lovers out there - got a tip from a friend the other day - Melody Gardot (I now have her "Worrisome Heart" album) - well worth a listen.

I'll try and check out Melody Gardot - never even heard about "it". All the others I got them covered already and love them - Nils recording is just perfect for Grados; Bonamassa is a new staple on my collection though and still on a first listen basis as I got a few of them in one sitting, very, very good stuff :)

I've got many hundreds of LPs and CDs of most genres, so maybe I'll try and post some great ones as time goes by here, I mean recordings and artists that you don't see discussed often on these boards anyway.

Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back