SR60-Mod part II
Aug 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #1,756 of 3,353

Quote:
Btw, is it possible for me to change the cable because the thick cables are bothering me a bit >< what other mods do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Yes, you could change out the cable.  Lots of people either make their own by procuring good wire and connectors such as the Neutrik 1/4" connector.  Also, you'll see people who make cables for other people out of silver wire - which can change the sound signature a bit.

I'm kind of with the same thought as you.  I have 2 pair of Grado 225s.  One has the thicker cable and the other has the older style - thinner cable with less conductors.  When I take the headphones to work with the thicker cable, it tends to get a bit unruly in my desk area as I listen to the 'phones.  Meanwhile, the thinner cable is a little more relaxed and doesn't get in the way as often.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #1,757 of 3,353
Whoo. So busy. Getting ready to move back to UCLA. Gotta go train dem RA noobs. Anyway, looks like I missed more pad discussions and some new posters...I'm seriously starting to consider making a pair of sockos for us to send around the thread. I absolutely love the bass and it's texture and I feel like people are missing out for real...

Also, I've been in the process of gathering info to build my own cmoybb 2.03. Exciting stuff in the future :wink:. I'm hoping to get that step-by-step recupping guide up when I move back in. We'll see...

Anyway...it's nice to see the thread is still healthy and active :)

Kojaku

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #1,759 of 3,353

Quote:

Yes, you could change out the cable.  Lots of people either make their own by procuring good wire and connectors such as the Neutrik 1/4" connector.  Also, you'll see people who make cables for other people out of silver wire - which can change the sound signature a bit.

I'm kind of with the same thought as you.  I have 2 pair of Grado 225s.  One has the thicker cable and the other has the older style - thinner cable with less conductors.  When I take the headphones to work with the thicker cable, it tends to get a bit unruly in my desk area as I listen to the 'phones.  Meanwhile, the thinner cable is a little more relaxed and doesn't get in the way as often.

He's using SR60s, if I'm not wrong.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #1,761 of 3,353
I don't use them on the go but sure use them outside home like in the library (but I would have to find a nice corner). 
Btw trying to see if my local shop offers modding for a fee because I'm not confident doing them myself and also I'm buying pads tomorrow, so should I pick up the one for HD414? Because there seems to be a lot other people using other pads from what I've read. Thanks a lot! :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,763 of 3,353

Quote:
OK, Thanks.  That makes things a bit more complicated.  I think it's hard to recommend a good cable (e.g. a smaller braided cable) for the SR-60s, when the cable cost might exceed the cost of the Grados alone.

That homegrown deal + a neutrik plug for like 20 bucks total cost is a pretty good deal!

**edit**

I think you might just benefit from upgrading Grados though for the money spent, the SR-80's + bowl pads is actually a killer setup now that I think about it. This recabling stuff is just for getting that last 5% out of them I feel. I think I'm going back to purist Grado listening haha. I'm going to chuck all my recabled Grados and go buy an SR-325is and just be done with it :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,764 of 3,353

Quote:

That homegrown deal + a neutrik plug for like 20 bucks total cost is a pretty good deal!

**edit**

I think you might just benefit from upgrading Grados though for the money spent, the SR-80's + bowl pads is actually a killer setup now that I think about it. This recabling stuff is just for getting that last 5% out of them I feel. I think I'm going back to purist Grado listening haha. I'm going to chuck all my recabled Grados and go buy an SR-325is and just be done with it :)

I only just bought SR60 for a few days! Did I make the wrong purchase? :frowning2:

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #1,765 of 3,353
No. Leave this thread, switch off your PC and enjoy your SR60s.

Come back when you get tired of it, and then you can start modding. 

I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks first, let myself get used to the SR60s

before modding them. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,766 of 3,353

Quote:
No. Leave this thread, switch off your PC and enjoy your SR60s.

Come back when you get tired of it, and then you can start modding. 

I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks first, let myself get used to the SR60s

before modding them. 

Sorry for being somewhat a nuisance, guess I won't return them, after all I like them pretty much :) 
Just need to get some pads so sorry but just one more question, which pads should I get?
HD414 or  L-CUSH SR80 earpad which I saw somewhere. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,767 of 3,353
Aye, don't get me wrong maybe I came off a little rude there.

It's easy to feel like you've got an inferior pair of headphones when everyone around you is talking about high end stuff. 

So take it easy and enjoy your headphones.

I haven't tried the L-Cush/bowls but if they're made of the same material as the stock pad, then imo, they're not comfortable.

The HD414 pads are softer. I think you should get the HD414 pads and quarter mod them.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #1,768 of 3,353

Quote:
Sorry for being somewhat a nuisance, guess I won't return them, after all I like them pretty much :) 
Just need to get some pads so sorry but just one more question, which pads should I get?
HD414 or  L-CUSH SR80 earpad which I saw somewhere. 

This is one of the friendliest threads on HeadFi so ask away :)
I think you should buy both and experiment.

Pads do the most sound signature change for the least cash (outside jumbos) and trouble.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #1,769 of 3,353
And every one will be different - so you have to try yourself and decide what you really like.  I have just started with my MS1is - and so far tried the original pads, the Sennheiser 414 quarter modded, and recently bought bowls.  Personally I find the bowls far better - but a lot swear by the comfys or 414s.  Each change the sound signature and comfort by quite a bit.  Experiment - it's a lot of fun and quite a good learning experience.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #1,770 of 3,353

Quote:
I only just bought SR60 for a few days! Did I make the wrong purchase? :frowning2:

No, The SR60 is on one level technically proficient in it's stock form and on another level just a fun sound signature. The best mod for an SR60 is adding a source, plugging it in, and listening to some music
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back