SR60-Mod part II
Aug 26, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #1,741 of 3,353

Ah - but add the Senn 414 pads though ....... and then you'd really look like a bumblebee 
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,742 of 3,353
I like the padding on the head band. 

Quote:
The Steelers black and yinzer yeller look is god awful, if that's what puts them in god tier, just sayin.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #1,743 of 3,353

Quote:

Best custom headband ever. Made by a man on this forum. These are NOT mine but the guy posted pictures and I saved them because they were god tier.

I'm going to replicate that headband.  Though, I'm not - I repeat *not* going to use yellow leather.  I like the appearance of the rippled cushion, though.  A nice detail.  
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Ah - but add the Senn 414 pads though ....... and then you'd really look like a bumblebee 
tongue.gif

That's why they invented fabric dye.  So, those of us who love the quarter-modified Sennheiser HD-414 pads can turn 'em black. 
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #1,745 of 3,353
I picked up my *free* industrial machine this evening.  It's a 1927 Singer 31-15.  It fired right up and the GE motor is ready to roll.  There's some videos on YouTube of this machine sewing garment weight leather - and even 3-5 oz. tool leather.  Though, it's not designed to sew that heavy of leather.  I'm going to restore this beast before I use it myself.  Ironically, it appeared on Craigslist as a free item.  I responded to the people who posted it and I offered to make a donation to their favorite charity.  They thought my response was the best one, so I was called and given the opportunity to pick it up.  The machine I'm going to use while I restore the Singer and the Pfaff for the leather work I need / want to do is a Brother machine made in Japan.  I'm going to buy it tomorrow before tropical storm Irene hits my area.

Then, I hope to be cooking again on some headbands.  I sold off my 3 other non-industrial machines over the past week, since they were not really capable of doing what I needed them to do.

Now, for some "on-topic" comments.  I'm in love with the sound of the TTVJ "Flats" ear pads.  The really produce some good bass.   The bass appears to be genuine and not to the point of being overwhelming to my ears.  At $35.00, I'd really just buy a pair of these pads before opening up the cups on the backs of the drivers on a pair of Grados and punching some of the holes open.  Yes, the bass is that good.  When you open the holes on the rear of the drivers, you face the possibility of changing the mid and upper frequencies to some degree, also.  With the pads, you can control the sound.  If the "flats" are too much for you, you can sell them.  Slightly behind the TTVJ "Flats" are the Sennheiser HD-414 pads with the quarter mod performed.  In fact, I'm starting to like the Senns pads more than the bowl pads from Grado.  That's my latest observations.  I'm sorry if I may have posted something similar to this effect a few days ago.  I guess I'm just getting too sleepy and need some rest. 

G'night.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #1,746 of 3,353
Sorry, just picked up my pair of SR60 yesterday, having some issues with the comfort of the pads and the quarter modding looks pretty helpful to the sound as well. How should I go about doing that? Thanks!

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #1,747 of 3,353
Have you tried the HD414 pads? The yellow ones? They're not as rough as the stock pads. 

What I did for the quarter modding was, I got a plastic bottle cap, a sharp knife, then just run it through the pads.

It takes a number of tries though, since it's quite hard to completely cut the circle off the pads.

After you got both sides cut out, put the pads back on.

The side pressing against your ear should be the other circle opening, not the one you just cut out. 

So the side pressing against the cups/drivers should be the previous "outer surface", if you get what I mean. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #1,748 of 3,353
Nope, I'll see if I can pick them up at my local store. 

For quarter mod, is it that you cut a hole through your pad such that you see the white cloth thing and then reverse it and put it back on? 
If so, how does reversing help? 

Thanks a lot, love this site :D

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #1,751 of 3,353

Quote:
Sorry, just picked up my pair of SR60 yesterday, having some issues with the comfort of the pads and the quarter modding looks pretty helpful to the sound as well. How should I go about doing that? Thanks!

Are you sure that the headband might not be causing some of your issues, too?  The headband can be a bit tight on some people.  Usually, taking your hands and slowly spreading open the band so it isn't as tight resolves the issue.  Work slowly - just small movements. You might have to do it a few times to get the right level of comfort for your head.  Different pads will change the feel a bit - but, if that band is too tight for your head, it's hard to just use different pads to handle that issue when the metal needs to be adjusted.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #1,753 of 3,353
Are you sure that the headband might not be causing some of your issues, too?  The headband can be a bit tight on some people.  Usually, taking your hands and slowly spreading open the band so it isn't as tight resolves the issue.  Work slowly - just small movements. You might have to do it a few times to get the right level of comfort for your head.  Different pads will change the feel a bit - but, if that band is too tight for your head, it's hard to just use different pads to handle that issue when the metal needs to be adjusted.

Ok thanks will take note :)
Btw, is it possible for me to change the cable because the thick cables are bothering me a bit >< what other mods do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,754 of 3,353

Quote:
Ok thanks will take note :)
Btw, is it possible for me to change the cable because the thick cables are bothering me a bit >< what other mods do you guys recommend? Thanks!

If they bother you.. does it mean you use your headphones outside the house? Grados aren't the best cans to bring around, imo. They leak like mad and have no isolation. And if you use them indoors I don't quite see why the cable would be a problem. But yes it certainly is possible to change the cable, just open up the cups and resolder a new cable on. Plenty of instructions on this thread, I believe WJE has a detailed one sometime back. Though I warn you that any thinner then the cable of the SR60 is and you risk not having a cable of sufficient gauge to transmit your signal and power; the cable isn't that thick as it is (you should see the garden hose cable of the SR225 and up)

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,755 of 3,353

Quote:
Could some people please check out my thread and let me know what you think?  It's SR60 mod related.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/568978/my-sr60i-mod

You should have just posted that in here. Anyway at least they are not purple, although I think red would have been an awesome look. Have you thought about replacing your grill and adding some contrast?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back