SR60-Mod part II
Aug 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #1,816 of 3,353
Baka, I think they were a pair of Strato's phones.

Maybe check his profile.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,817 of 3,353
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/56/5614377b_coco4.jpg

These?

Stratocaster owns them.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #1,819 of 3,353
I've listened to both of these albums so many times that they have become my standard test tracks for changes to my setup... I know every single nuance to every single track so well that even my wife finds it annoying to hear these songs bleeding from my Grados.

Quote:
+1 to the unplugged nirvana and Alice in Chains albums. Both are great. I'll check out those sounds you posted shortly Kneel. I always like getting schooled on music. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,820 of 3,353
I would very much appreciate a good translation of the original thread if you're up to it. Thank You

One would think that I should've picked up Spanish since I've lived in south Florida my whole life (large Hispanic population here for those that dont know). I only have so much space in my brain, and learning spanish would require me to purge something important like Grado driver liberation techniques. 
redface.gif

Quote:

If other fellow head-fiers are interested in the manufacturing process of this pair of headphones, I'll be pleased to post a translation of the original thread that I started at the spanish forum (though I believe that the pictures themselves are quite self explanatory). I’ll be happy if some of you find anything of what I’ve done useful 
smile.gif

By the way.... learning Spanish can also be considered a DIY project, markkr
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,821 of 3,353
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/56/5614377b_coco4.jpg

These?

Stratocaster owns them.

Although Strat's is great looking that's not the ones I was thinking of. The ones I'm thinking of goes back a couple of years ago. I even tried to Google it with no luck. It was definitely on Head-Fi though.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,822 of 3,353

Quote:
Although Strat's is great looking that's not the ones I was thinking of. The ones I'm thinking of goes back a couple of years ago. I even tried to Google it with no luck. It was definitely on Head-Fi though.

LoL.  I can barely remember last week ... much less two years ago.  Good luck on finding the pictures.  I'd be interested in seeing them, though.  
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,823 of 3,353
So I'm thinking of removing the button, and then maybe go on to remove the grill at a later date.

First time I'm ever modding a headphone so... help me out here 
frown.gif

I'm not even planning to remove the clip that holds the cups together since it's a fairly

simple mod.. To be honest, I'm afraid to even take the clip off the cups, they look too

fragile.

So..

Steps
1. Place the headphones over steam for a couple of minutes.
2. Pull the button off with my fingers.
3. Done.

Do I need to take everything else apart and superglue them back together or do I just remove the button

and let the headphones cool? 

And what about the steam condensing on to the headphones? Won't that destroy the drivers or wires or something?

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #1,824 of 3,353

Quote:
So I'm thinking of removing the button, and then maybe go on to remove the grill at a later date.

First time I'm ever modding a headphone so... help me out here 
frown.gif

I'm not even planning to remove the clip that holds the cups together since it's a fairly

simple mod.. To be honest, I'm afraid to even take the clip off the cups, they look too

fragile.

So..

Steps
1. Place the headphones over steam for a couple of minutes.
2. Pull the button off with my fingers.
3. Done.

Do I need to take everything else apart and superglue them back together or do I just remove the button

and let the headphones cool? 

And what about the steam condensing on to the headphones? Won't that destroy the drivers or wires or something?

Forget the steam ..... use a hair-dryer

Don't worry abut propping the driver on clips or anything either.  Detach it from the gimbals, rest it on a board, rotate a hair-dryer around it for about of minute.  The idea is to warm the glue - not overheat the drivers.  Stop and try to pry the cover off (I just used my hands).  If it doesn't work, give it a little more heat.  Eventually the heat melts the glue enough for you to remove the cover.

Easy.

Sorry about the video - not mine, but illustrates the methodology.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #1,825 of 3,353
I'm not confident in using the hairdryer method. Too many stories of melted plastic, can't risk it with these new SR60s. But I'll just get out the old hair dryer and see if I can melt a comb with it first (lol). 

When I'm done removing the button from the grill, do I need to take everything else apart and glue everything back together, do I just reassemble it? I'm a little afraid that the heated up glue won't be  as strong when it cools down..

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #1,826 of 3,353
I held the hairdryer about 2 inches away from the outside of the cups, and had it on warm rather than hot.  I rotated slowly and continuously right around so the drivers wouldn't heat up.  Did the trick with no damage.  I'd personally be more worried about the effect of the steam on the drivers to try the other method.

As far as reattaching - I didn't worry about glue.  I pretty much removed it altogether.  Mine are firm enough just pressed together again.  Plus it makes it easier to reopen them again (for the next mod 
wink.gif
).   Watch the cable when you do this though!  Press too hard and you could cut it.  When the cups were apart, I wound some black electrical tape around my cables - where they fit in the notch in the two cups.  Just gives some added protection.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #1,827 of 3,353
If they are stock SR60's, with perforated plastic grill\mesh, then you'll have a hard time trying to remove just the button.  It's not hot glued on like with the steel mesh models.  As for removing cups, I just pried mine (SR80's) right off, without any heat or stickiness using bare hand and very little force.  No such luck with SR325i, though.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #1,828 of 3,353
So I managed to get the cups apart.

both drivers still producing sound.

Grill's melted, gotta steam everything take it off now :s

Edit: Not steaming.

I got the cups apart into two separate pieces, one side is with the driver, other side is with the grill.

Gotta remove the grill off now, I'll probably need a little sand paper. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #1,829 of 3,353
I tried the steam method on some SR-125i's I recently came into possession of, it's actually easier for me.

I just "cooked" the headphones with a sieve over a shallow pot of water, there is condensation yes, but nothing a hairdryer on the "cool" setting won't take care of. 

I like the steam method over the hairdryer method because the drivers are exposed to less heat I feel. Both have worked without flaws though.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #1,830 of 3,353
The grill is pretty much bonded to the cups, you'll need to Dremel it out if you want a nice flush fit using steel mesh.  I got some "high quality mesh" from Jacob, which I much prefer over kitchen utensil or other mesh tried.  These are just some product shots I took, hope it's not seen as advertising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back