I already filed the rough edges a little, I think a little sanding will
smooth everything out nicely.

Inside

Lol. It looks worse than it really is because of the flash reflection
on the shiny insides. Basically I've got a layer of plastic grill that
I cannot remove, on the inner ring and a little rough edges poking
out.

So I think now I'll go find some sand paper, smooth everything out
and then maybe look for some material to paste/glue over the inside. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,832 of 3,353

Quote:

Forget the steam ..... use a hair-dryer

Don't worry abut propping the driver on clips or anything either.  Detach it from the gimbals, rest it on a board, rotate a hair-dryer around it for about of minute.  The idea is to warm the glue - not overheat the drivers.  Stop and try to pry the cover off (I just used my hands).  If it doesn't work, give it a little more heat.  Eventually the heat melts the glue enough for you to remove the cover.

Easy.

Sorry about the video - not mine, but illustrates the methodology.

yeah i used this method for opening my sr60..the steam method didnt work for me..
hey it looks like Kojaku's headband..

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #1,833 of 3,353

Quote:
Forget the steam ..... use a hair-dryer

Hairdryer?  I'm much too impatient to use the hair dryer.  Instead, I use my heat gun.  However, I'm much more diligent and careful with it by holding it further away from the headphone cups because the hotter temp can turn things into a mess in no time at all.  However, like most tools, when properly used right - they will work for you and the process will be efficient.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #1,834 of 3,353
Yeah I used a hair dryer, got everything sanded out and it's quite smooth now. 

I was going to try the steam method but it took too long.

Is there any other way I can remove the grills on the SR60s without melting the grill and then sanding it? Very tedious process.. 

I'm thinking of punching maybe 2-4 holes in the 60s. Does the positioning of the holes affect the SQ?

Sorry for the newb questions :D Once I get the sound mods done and everything, I'll be able to focus on the aesthetic side of things, maybe a head band upgrade, etc.

lol.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #1,835 of 3,353
Thank god for my Grados! Post hurricane, we have been left without power the past four days (and likely until Sunday at the earliest) and that means no amps. So I have been able to relax a bit (in the dark) by listening to my Grados from my Clip+.

Of course my DAC will finally be arriving sometime in the next few days, but no power, no DAC. Oh well. Of course I do have a generator, but I think it would be overkill to use it to power my amp/DAC..... 
o2smile.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,836 of 3,353

Quote:
Thank god for my Grados! Post hurricane, we have been left without power the past four days (and likely until Sunday at the earliest) and that means no amps. So I have been able to relax a bit (in the dark) by listening to my Grados from my Clip+.

Of course my DAC will finally be arriving sometime in the next few days, but no power, no DAC. Oh well. Of course I do have a generator, but I think it would be overkill to use it to power my amp/DAC..... 
o2smile.gif

Its cool to hear that your Grados are satisfying without the use of an amp and that the'yre coming in handy. I feel the same way!

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #1,837 of 3,353
This online environment really displaces you... hope everything is allright with you all in the US East Coast!

Grados unamped? Why not?! There's a load of cans that popup to my mind that could work out really worse :)

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,838 of 3,353
The ironic thing was I was just putting my Fostexes back together after another round of mods when the power went out. That must be some sort of bad omen....

And they do sound fine without an amp, they just sound better with one. I was recently able to fix my scratchy volume pot on my Indeed, but I am still looking at an upgrade. I am seriously considering at CTH, however I am trying to find more feedback about how their synergy with Grados. I know they will sound good with the Fostexes, but I want something that will be good with both (if possible).

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #1,840 of 3,353
Ok quick question, 

I'm stuck between two choices. Leave the Grados open without any grills, or get them some grills. 
I would prefer to leave them open without any grills for now. Will dust collect in the chamber and affect the sound/longevity of my SR60s?

I'll be using the Grados at home, mostly. 

Thanks. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #1,841 of 3,353
Goshd I'm LOVING my Grado's out of my MiniMAX. I feel naughty, but JEEEEEEEEEEEBUS. Like a kid with a fat LOLIPOP. As it burns in things are really opening up. Without getting too poetical ~
IHAPPYIGOTZEAMP! Tube rolling has also been very successful, and it does drive all phones equally well. (Which is still defined by: awesome) Although I need to do some BJT's rolling, it is quite incredible right now. It's exactly what I expected. *jam jam jam*

Ah, shoulda posted some pics... My Gradie Sr 60's (which get much more headtime than my decked out 650's)
confused.gif
now have jumbos.
ph34r.gif
They may not sound as good as bowls, but man, I'll have to post a pic. They're so (lacking a better term) "trololol" with jumbos.
atsmile.gif

The miniMAX has also opened up many other avenues for me. The DIY possibilities are endless... What choices to make? Or is MiniMAX well enough for now?! I think some Smeggy thunderpants along with a couple amp/Dac projects are definitely on my to-do list... Like many others here, I am building an Objective 2, ; D

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #1,842 of 3,353

Quote:
Ok quick question, 

I'm stuck between two choices. Leave the Grados open without any grills, or get them some grills. 
I would prefer to leave them open without any grills for now. Will dust collect in the chamber and affect the sound/longevity of my SR60s?

I'll be using the Grados at home, mostly. 

Thanks. 

Either or is fine. If there was one thing that we can learn from Bilavideo, it was: "Look are nothing, Style is nothing, Sound reigns supreme." Spoken like a true "o.O"

However, you DO want your gradoes in wood. I pwwomise. Enjoy the journey! It rocks and makes these cans..... incredible.... fun.... unique..... stylin..... and most importantly, truly yours. I don't think I'll let go of them.... Not even for sennheiser HE-90. (O.k., perhaps that was gross overstatement... I'd have to think about it
o2smile.gif
).

No it won't but you might get a pen stuck in them or something... grils are just for looks. No impact on sound (as long as airflow is good) or VERY minute.

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #1,843 of 3,353
Hey guys check out the link below. It's a guide concerning how to make your own woodiees.

http://headfonics.com/2011/07/grado-diy-how-to-get-a-perfect-woody/

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #1,844 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey guys check out the link below. It's a guide concerning how to make your own woodiees.

http://headfonics.com/2011/07/grado-diy-how-to-get-a-perfect-woody/

A few observations:

1) One has to own a very capable drill for this process.  A typical cordless drill probably won't be up to the task.
2) The method of using several different sized cutters meas that: It can get costly purchasing them, and: they won't last forever and will eventually get dull over time and require replacement.
3) I didn't see any good "lips" in the pictures for attaching the ear pads to.  It looks like they might slip on, but not maintain a lock so they don't fall off.

I don't mean to sound negative - it really can be done.  However, if you factor in the wood, components that you need to buy, a whole lot of sanding, etc. - as well as one's own time, it really seems as though it might be better to contract with someone who makes cups and has the tools to do it efficiently.  Then, you can focus on the other aspects of the modification process.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,845 of 3,353

Quote:
If you like Gardot's Worrisome Heart CD you should immediately grab her My One And Only Thrill CD it's worth every penny in my book. The song Who Will Comfort Me sounds killer on my SR60's. Since we're talking music you guys should also check out Alain Caron. He's a jazz bassist from Canada he's a wonderful artist and his music is excellent for testing out your bass mods on.

I got My One and Only Thrill - really good recording. Love the voice, a bit like Lisa Ekdahl but sounding more... mature. Great relaxing vibe :)

Quote:

A few observations:

1) One has to own a very capable drill for this process.  A typical cordless drill probably won't be up to the task.
2) The method of using several different sized cutters meas that: It can get costly purchasing them, and: they won't last forever and will eventually get dull over time and require replacement.
3) I didn't see any good "lips" in the pictures for attaching the ear pads to.  It looks like they might slip on, but not maintain a lock so they don't fall off.

I don't mean to sound negative - it really can be done.  However, if you factor in the wood, components that you need to buy, a whole lot of sanding, etc. - as well as one's own time, it really seems as though it might be better to contract with someone who makes cups and has the tools to do it efficiently.  Then, you can focus on the other aspects of the modification process.

Totally agree. I mean, the cup manufacturing process surely is appealing but, unless you have access to the equipment (irrespective of skills to man it), it can get ridiculously expensive for a one off.

On another note, I've playing with new tips for my Hippo VBs and managed to pull off a bit of the Grado sig on these inexpensive IEMs.
This is the product: MEElectronics Original Eartips for M11 Earphones - it's a cheap and diversified set of tips.

So, how do you get a bit of the Grado sound? You install the Triple flange silicon tips and use the the option with the least variable bass thingy. The bass is toned down in quantity and gets a bit more tight and at the same time you get that sparkly treble mode on. The clarity and articulateness these now have is very satisfying. I've been using these on the go for the last couple of weeks and don't feel the need to experiment any further. Cheap and great IEMs on this great config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back