SR60-Mod part II
Aug 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,321 of 3,353

Quote:

Kudos, sir. Absolutely loving this one right here.

Quote:
I finally got around to doing the bass-hole mod. I got two holes poked in. It seems to let in a lot more of the upper mids than I expected along with bass. I'm not entirely sure of how I feel about it yet but a modded SR-60 definitely sounds more interesting than stock SR-225's, I'll tell you that.

Yes, that is what surprised me too with the venting. It has been referred to as the "bass" mod, but it definitely changes more than just the bass. I definitely prefer it vented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I grabbed one of those rubbermaid fast track hose holders that double as a headphone rack.. Pretty nice. I've got it holding my fostex's and a pair of grados at the moment. 

got it for 12 bucks at Lowes. They didn't have them at home depot.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-5E12-FastTrack-Hose-Hook/dp/B0009J5NUY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Whoa, 12 bucks? The price has really gone up on these things. In the same thread that the rubbermaid hanger stand derived from, another member pointed out this particular one from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_116345-76182-93531_0__?productId=3009381&Ntt=closetmaid+all+purpose+hang+up&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dclosetmaid%2Ball%2Bpurpose%2Bhang%2Bup&facetInfo=

I preferred this one because the headphone rests on two points which disperses the weight better. I find the single-bar ones will leave indentations on my foam-padded headphone bands. This isn't a problem with Grados, but just an FYI. They go for $6 around my way. In the end, I made a few of those DIY Ikea stands that came out decent so I now have like 5 of these "stands" hanging around taking up space. If anyone would like one, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to pass it along.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,322 of 3,353
it's hard to classify though isn't it? It doesn't make things muddy.. just more colored. It's a very personal thing. if you decide you don't like it grab some muslin, it does a good job at covering those holes back up. 

I grabbed one of those rubbermaid fast track hose holders that double as a headphone rack.. Pretty nice. I've got it holding my fostex's and a pair of grados at the moment. 

got it for 12 bucks at Lowes. They didn't have them at home depot.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-5E12-FastTrack-Hose-Hook/dp/B0009J5NUY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Lol. You couldn't resist after that pic I posted, eh:wink:?

Kojaku

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,323 of 3,353

Quote:

I definitely won't be going for 4 holes, it's honestly not that bad, it definitely gives some meaty foundation to the Grado sound. I prefer something a little more neutral since it's already colored but I'm sitting here and it's honestly kind of... nice?

yeah. It's different. Kind of hard for me to pick one way or the other. It's still a grado, just ... different. So far, I think i prefer the driver stock in all headphones but the sr225i.. which I haven't poked yet because I'm waiting to see how the wooden shells change the sound and I've got flats on the way, Those are supposed to do interesting things to the bass as well. If I happen to get the 225is in wood and with flats and I still want bass. I'll poke some holes, but not until then :D

I think I'm going to start recommending people to pick up a pair of flats before I tell them to poke holes in the driver. 

Quote:
Lol. You couldn't resist after that pic I posted, eh:wink:?

Kojaku

Quote:

Kudos, sir. Absolutely loving this one right here.

Yes, that is what surprised me too with the venting. It has been referred to as the "bass" mod, but it definitely changes more than just the bass. I definitely prefer it vented.

Whoa, 12 bucks? The price has really gone up on these things. In the same thread that the rubbermaid hanger stand derived from, another member pointed out this particular one from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_116345-76182-93531_0__?productId=3009381&Ntt=closetmaid+all+purpose+hang+up&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dclosetmaid%2Ball%2Bpurpose%2Bhang%2Bup&facetInfo=

I preferred this one because the headphone rests on two points which disperses the weight better. I find the single-bar ones will leave indentations on my foam-padded headphone bands. This isn't a problem with Grados, but just an FYI. They go for $6 around my way. In the end, I made a few of those DIY Ikea stands that came out decent so I now have like 5 of these "stands" hanging around taking up space. If anyone would like one, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to pass it along.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,324 of 3,353

Quote:
I used some leather belts and wood to create 2 custom headbands complementing my Jaben Alu/Rosewood Inner/Padauk gimbal and Cocobolo units.

They look kinda rigid...Do they hurt?

Kojaku

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,325 of 3,353
So regarding the leather pad thing. I tried it today. I wrapped some of the excess lamb leather I had around my second set of bowls (tightly). I had my tailor run a temporary stitch so they wouldn't fall apart

I put them on my head and....uh....

NO.

It's crap. Can't breathe.

It's comfy...about equally as comfy as my trimmed bowls (aka flats) with the sock mod...but they sound awful. There's really no room for proper post-driver, pre-ear resonance. It feels like a cannon full of unrefined sound firing directly into my ear canal. I took the cursed things apart. It was an interesting idea, but no good in practice, at least for me.

I consider myself fairly experienced with the pad mod thing, having been through every stock set, along with quarter mods and reverse HD414 pads, and finally flats and sock mods. This is by far the worst sounding of the bunch.

Anyway, just my two cents. I mean, my taste isn't everyone else's. I do have a new found appreciation for my sock mod trim-bowls now though :)

Happy pad modding! (I'll be posting a trimming/sock mod tutorial this weekend for anyone who's interested! keep an eye out!)

Kojaku

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #1,326 of 3,353

Quote:
Wow very nice mate, did you use my recommendation of the scourer pad for the cups? they look like they came out exactly like mine whatever it is you used to brush them with.

Yeah LAWRYWILD, I used the scourer pad as well. I have another alu set that I polished, but I prefer this 'brushed' look.

Quote:
stratocaster's skills are amazing. This is top stuff! No lathe, right?

No lathe!

Quote:
They look kinda rigid...Do they hurt?

Kojaku

Actually, the leather is very soft. The alu inner I use on the other hand is fairly rigid. So you have to make sure that you  twist and turn the headband in a way that it really fits your skull well. Then it provides a tight yet comfortable fit. I do own JMoney V3 bands as well, and I must say, especially with the rather heavy alu shells I prefer the custom headband, since it does not tilt back or forth as much as the JMoney one.

As a matter of fact I just wanted to achieve a complete custom set of wood shells, gimbals, rods, rod blocks and headband. I think for us Europeans it is a nuisance that we are expected to send in our headphones for any kind of damage or problem whatsoever. Like I once asked for a replacement of a broken gimbal. The German company I bought my SR80s from told me I had to send my phones to America to have the problem fixed!! So I wanted to be independent and smile at Grado's 'understanding' of customer support.

At the moment the only Grado component I use is their drivers. But I have already ordered a set of Magnum V3.5 from Symphones. If they meet my expectations, I might be able to conme up with top tier headphones for a lot less money than I paid for my stock SR80i, which were almost $300!

Taking into consideration everything I have learned through Bilavideo's initial thread and its sequel here, being able to produce my own custom wooden sets of headphones and being able to complement them with high quality drivers from Symphones I must say I find the price of Grados in Europe just ridiculous and their policies far from customer friendly. I really think it is a shame they do not sell components or drivers to people who would appreciate keeping their phones and doing the repair work themselves. Instead they expect us to part from our phones for weeks for gimbal or headband replacement, not to mention driver replacement or upgrades.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #1,327 of 3,353

Quote:
So regarding the leather pad thing. I tried it today. I wrapped some of the excess lamb leather I had around my second set of bowls (tightly). I had my tailor run a temporary stitch so they wouldn't fall apart

I put them on my head and....uh....

NO.

It's crap. Can't breathe.

It's comfy...about equally as comfy as my trimmed bowls (aka flats) with the sock mod...but they sound awful. There's really no room for proper post-driver, pre-ear resonance. It feels like a cannon full of unrefined sound firing directly into my ear canal. I took the cursed things apart. It was an interesting idea, but no good in practice, at least for me.

I consider myself fairly experienced with the pad mod thing, having been through every stock set, along with quarter mods and reverse HD414 pads, and finally flats and sock mods. This is by far the worst sounding of the bunch.

Anyway, just my two cents. I mean, my taste isn't everyone else's. I do have a new found appreciation for my sock mod trim-bowls now though :)

Happy pad modding! (I'll be posting a trimming/sock mod tutorial this weekend for anyone who's interested! keep an eye out!)

Kojaku

Called it :)

I am interested in exactly how you made your pads though.. Mostly because they look so dang nice. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #1,328 of 3,353

Quote:
I used some leather belts and wood to create 2 custom headbands complementing my Jaben Alu/Rosewood Inner/Padauk gimbal and Cocobolo units.

Greetings!. Wonderful work, friend, now i´m working in the band for more comfort listening and avoid setting distances. This is my idea:

This plastic keep the length and the form of the headphone and the form of the bowls, getting the driver dont touch my ears. I have open the headband to my size too. Now i can listen for more than a one hour withoth pain. Now i have to made more beautifull.

Greetings from beach hollidays!

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,329 of 3,353

Quote:
Greetings!. Wonderful work, friend, now i´m working in the band for more comfort listening and avoid setting distances. This is my idea:  

This plastic keep the length and the form of the headphone and the form of the bowls, getting the driver dont touch my ears. I have open the headband to my size too. Now i can listen for more than a one hour withoth pain. Now i have to made more beautifull.

Ahh, your idyllic life. But what you've done is highly interesting, kudos to you! :)

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #1,330 of 3,353

Quote:
I seem to recall (from possibly the old SR60 thread) that leather pads will not work on Grados as they seem to require the breathability from the foam to get the sound we all know and love.

I guess it never hurts to try again though :)

Darren C
dgcrane

Hello Darren, she is absolutely adorable!

Bill.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,331 of 3,353

Quote:

Hey CABILLAS, did you make those aluminum cups?  They look very nice.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,334 of 3,353

Quote:
Greetings!. Wonderful work, friend, now i´m working in the band for more comfort listening and avoid setting distances. This is my idea

Very nice idea there cabillas! You really have that many issues with comfort though? i think my ears were just made for grados.. I can seriously listen to grados for.. all day long. With the exception of Stefan's MS-Pros because I haven't bent the headband. 

Quote:

Hello Darren, she is absolutely adorable!

Bill.

I was going to say something, and then I forgot sooo +1

Quote:
Thanks Bill, she is the oldest of my three angels and already loves to listen to daddys expensive headphones :)

I miss chatting with you, give me a call some time if you are bored

Darren

My nephew couldn't care less about my headphones.. It's kind of shocking to me.. My mother either. Most people will try them out and be amazed for like 30 seconds, but most people won't sit down and really listen to what the headphones have to offer.. Maybe I'm just crazy 
blink.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,335 of 3,353
crapty news of the day.

I was in the midst of putting my MS2i's back together with a new wooden inner (Thanks Kneeljung)

but the left channel was not working.... after further investigation, it has been found that the voice coil wires had been severed

I am praying that Allessandro will take pity on me :frowning2: I am not sure how they will react with me sending in a partially liberated driver.

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back