SR60-Mod part II
Aug 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #1,306 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey guys since everyone was talking about pads one page ago here's an off the wall idea for all of you. Has anyone here ever experimented with bowls by specifically using them as just filler for a ear pad? I was thinking maybe using a leather wrap not unlike the leather wrap used on the end of say a tennis racket and very carefully wrapping and gluing it around bowls. Maybe it would make a noticeable difference in sound and maybe it would even make the bowls far more comfortable to wear?

I really don't think it would sound to good. The pads are open for a reason. 

Quote:
You should like the PK3's. I've had a pair for 4 years now. They don't get much use nowadays but I used them a lot when I was at school during the 30 minute walk to and from my girlfriend's apartment. May not be quite as good as some of the entry level IEMs, but for an earbud, its hard to beat them for the price. Except for the Best Ever Blue 328r which has gotten good reviews and intrigued me. I really don't need more earbuds right now though. My only issue with the PK3 has always been the J-Cord which I really don't like. Seeing that its now offered with an Y-cord, this is no longer a problem.

I hate you for showing me those... This is why I have to stop coming to head-fi... 

I might have to pick these up for 25 bucks... It's kind of hard to pass up. 

Quote:
I seem to recall (from possibly the old SR60 thread) that leather pads will not work on Grados as they seem to require the breathability from the foam to get the sound we all know and love.

I guess it never hurts to try again though :)

Darren C
dgcrane

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,307 of 3,353
I think some variations of pleather pads could be prototyped.  They don't have to be a style the fully encompasses the bowl pads.  One could make a flat circle with a cut-out for the sound to go through as well as make some side covers to provide the same effect as taping the sides of the bowl pads.

Personally, though, I'd view this kind of experiment just that - an experiment.  It's hard to tell where or what someone would end up with in regards to sound improvement or sound degradation.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,309 of 3,353
blink.gif

Using old belts is a fairly good idea.  I was trying to construct a headband from some leather scraps I picked up a while back and it was less than successful.  Might reconsider that venture.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,311 of 3,353
Wow very nice mate, did you use my recommendation of the scourer pad for the cups? they look like they came out exactly like mine whatever it is you used to brush them with.

Quote:
I used some leather belts and wood to create 2 custom headbands complementing my Jaben Alu/Rosewood Inner/Padauk gimbal and Cocobolo units.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #1,312 of 3,353
**** my addiction to modding things.

Martin-made Bolivian Rosewood cups, silver cable (my dog severed my stock cable so needed a new one anyway) on the way....

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #1,314 of 3,353
Stratocaster, That's some fine work you've done.

I want to buy some ostrich leather.  I love the look, but one has to buy quit a large piece when I'd just want enough to make one or two headbands.
gs1000.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,315 of 3,353
hahah. I wound up buying those best ever blue "black" earbuds too. I think I'll post an impressions thread. I'm kind of glad I got into the earbud game right before heading off to school. These little suckers are impressive. also, I wound up with a Y cord PK3 sharkz. apparently the newer ones are y cord, I figured I was getting a j cord one. 

Back to grados.. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #1,316 of 3,353
stratocaster's skills are amazing. This is top stuff! No lathe, right?

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #1,317 of 3,353

Quote:
Stratocaster, That's some fine work you've done.

I want to buy some ostrich leather.  I love the look, but one has to buy quit a large piece when I'd just want enough to make one or two headbands.
gs1000.gif

+1 on Stratocasters work.

Also with regard to the ostrich I was looking at that stuff too,,,at Tandy, if that's where you saw it. I'm guessing the mininum 17 sq. ft thing is the problem. They have Python skins there too which would make a bad ass head band. What color were you looking at?

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,318 of 3,353
I finally got around to doing the bass-hole mod. I got two holes poked in. It seems to let in a lot more of the upper mids than I expected along with bass. I'm not entirely sure of how I feel about it yet but a modded SR-60 definitely sounds more interesting than stock SR-225's, I'll tell you that.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #1,319 of 3,353

Quote:
I finally got around to doing the bass-hole mod. I got two holes poked in. It seems to let in a lot more of the upper mids than I expected along with bass. I'm not entirely sure of how I feel about it yet but a modded SR-60 definitely sounds more interesting than stock SR-225's, I'll tell you that.

it's hard to classify though isn't it? It doesn't make things muddy.. just more colored. It's a very personal thing. if you decide you don't like it grab some muslin, it does a good job at covering those holes back up. 

I grabbed one of those rubbermaid fast track hose holders that double as a headphone rack.. Pretty nice. I've got it holding my fostex's and a pair of grados at the moment. 

got it for 12 bucks at Lowes. They didn't have them at home depot.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-5E12-FastTrack-Hose-Hook/dp/B0009J5NUY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,320 of 3,353

Quote:
it's hard to classify though isn't it? It doesn't make things muddy.. just more colored. It's a very personal thing. if you decide you don't like it grab some muslin, it does a good job at covering those holes back up. 

I definitely won't be going for 4 holes, it's honestly not that bad, it definitely gives some meaty foundation to the Grado sound. I prefer something a little more neutral since it's already colored but I'm sitting here and it's honestly kind of... nice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back