SR60-Mod part II
Aug 9, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #1,291 of 3,353

Quote:
WHOAWHOAWHOA. I did my part, man. I posted lotsa pics a ways back of my finished cans
smily_headphones1.gif
And besides, we're rebuilding after the first thread closed...so give us some leeway
wink.gif

Kojaku

I'll have lots of impressions and hopefully pictures very soon. I'm expecting my 225i's to actually beat the ms pros I still have, and I'm checking out flats now.. So, I should have plenty to share. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,292 of 3,353

Quote:
I'll have lots of impressions and hopefully pictures very soon. I'm expecting my 225i's to actually beat the ms pros I still have, and I'm checking out flats now.. So, I should have plenty to share. 

Good call. Where was that woody review thread again? I should really post a comprehensive review. And maybe one here too.

Kojaku

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,294 of 3,353
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,295 of 3,353

Quote:
nothing like immediately making me regret my purchase... Oh well. I want to see what flats are all about anyways. 

They look cool, and it's a matter of preference still. I mean it's an experience right?

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,296 of 3,353
I'm pretty much a newbie here and am still going through the forum posts. After finding this forum, it's like my eyes(ears) have been opened to the possibilities of Grados. I thought they were awesome sounding already but looking at mods posted here, I am at a loss for words.

I am looking at modding my SR80's and have contacted another Head-Fier about woodies. I'm looking at other aspects also.
I was wondering would these Canare L-4E6S cables be a decent replacement for the stock cable on a SR80 cable..?

Prabha

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,297 of 3,353

Quote:
They look cool, and it's a matter of preference still. I mean it's an experience right?

yeah totally. Like I said, if I don't like em, I'll pass them along. I still don't know quite how my 225i woodies are going to sound. The pads just might make them perfect. I had to try them out. 

-EDIT- I probably should have waited for my 225is to get put together.. Oh well, Hooray compulsive buying. This will prolly be my last audio buy for a looong time. I've got a pair of PK3's en route too. I'll let you guys know when I have them to see if anyone is interested in some impressions. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #1,298 of 3,353

Quote:
I'm pretty much a newbie here and am still going through the forum posts. After finding this forum, it's like my eyes(ears) have been opened to the possibilities of Grados. I thought they were awesome sounding already but looking at mods posted here, I am at a loss for words.

I am looking at modding my SR80's and have contacted another Head-Fier about woodies. I'm looking at other aspects also.
I was wondering would these Canare L-4E6S cables be a decent replacement for the stock cable on a SR80 cable..?

Prabha

Use Mogami. It feels better. I haven't actually A/B'ed them so I don't know which one sounds better. Both make a difference though.

Starquad used to be king of the hill before people discovered the Mogami Gold.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #1,299 of 3,353
Hey guys since everyone was talking about pads one page ago here's an off the wall idea for all of you. Has anyone here ever experimented with bowls by specifically using them as just filler for a ear pad? I was thinking maybe using a leather wrap not unlike the leather wrap used on the end of say a tennis racket and very carefully wrapping and gluing it around bowls. Maybe it would make a noticeable difference in sound and maybe it would even make the bowls far more comfortable to wear?

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #1,300 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey guys since everyone was talking about pads one page ago here's an off the wall idea for all of you. Has anyone here ever experimented with bowls by specifically using them as just filler for a ear pad? I was thinking maybe using a leather wrap not unlike the leather wrap used on the end of say a tennis racket and very carefully wrapping and gluing it around bowls. Maybe it would make a noticeable difference in sound and maybe it would even make the bowls far more comfortable to wear?

Go for it. Where I am it's quite impossible to get a decent leather piece for that. Everything I've seen is a bit too thick for the purpose.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #1,301 of 3,353

Quote:

Oooh, now that's a tempting mod!! I wouldn't really have to risk anything, because I use the comfies anyway, so the bowls are just sitting there. Let me know if you come up with something that seems to work well!

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,302 of 3,353

Quote:
Go for it. Where I am it's quite impossible to get a decent leather piece for that. Everything I've seen is a bit too thick for the purpose.

Ironically, I have a few machines now at home to sew leather.  I've been doing a bit of experimenting.  I did pick up 4 pillows on Craigslist that someone was selling that they claimed was leather.  However, they turned out to be vinyl / pleather.  But, the price was very cheap, so I didn't make any complaints.  Needless to say, it is thin enough compared to many of the other sheepskin hides and other vinyls that I've been experienced with.

This might be something that I could test out and see how it would turn out.  On the other hand, I didn't like the vinyl ear covers on the AKG 240 headphones that I had.  But, since the Grados rest on the ear, it could be a whole different experience.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,303 of 3,353

Quote:
I've got a pair of PK3's en route too. I'll let you guys know when I have them to see if anyone is interested in some impressions. 

You should like the PK3's. I've had a pair for 4 years now. They don't get much use nowadays but I used them a lot when I was at school during the 30 minute walk to and from my girlfriend's apartment. May not be quite as good as some of the entry level IEMs, but for an earbud, its hard to beat them for the price. Except for the Best Ever Blue 328r which has gotten good reviews and intrigued me. I really don't need more earbuds right now though. My only issue with the PK3 has always been the J-Cord which I really don't like. Seeing that its now offered with an Y-cord, this is no longer a problem.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,304 of 3,353

Quote:
Ironically, I have a few machines now at home to sew leather.  I've been doing a bit of experimenting.  I did pick up 4 pillows on Craigslist that someone was selling that they claimed was leather.  However, they turned out to be vinyl / pleather.  But, the price was very cheap, so I didn't make any complaints.  Needless to say, it is thin enough compared to many of the other sheepskin hides and other vinyls that I've been experienced with.

This might be something that I could test out and see how it would turn out.  On the other hand, I didn't like the vinyl ear covers on the AKG 240 headphones that I had.  But, since the Grados rest on the ear, it could be a whole different experience.

Most people can't tell pleather from leather as I frequently see on, for example, shoes for sale at shoe shops. I mean... it's totally different! To spend money on hide I prefer to see it first before moving in.

My Stax have leather pads and they've been there for years and years and still are running strong. Just need a bit of conditioning twice a year and are good as (almost) new. On the other hand, pleather will wear off and flake rather quickly. Nothing beats the confort of a leather pad imo although velours are quite nice but these do get hot in Summer. Now, how leather affects the Grado sound is... what we are here for lol

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,305 of 3,353
I seem to recall (from possibly the old SR60 thread) that leather pads will not work on Grados as they seem to require the breathability from the foam to get the sound we all know and love.

I guess it never hurts to try again though :)

Darren C
dgcrane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back