SR60-Mod part II
Dec 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,272 of 3,353
Hi All,

After reading many of the posts here, and being greatly inspired by all of the excellent mods shown and described, I decided to have a go.  Like many here, I spent quite some time just reading and learning from more experienced modders in this forum.    Now, let me present my modded SR80i...  vented, damped and re-grilled:

I purchased these in the spring and have recently got the 325i version, so I was happy to experiment with these.  Here is how it went...

Opening the cups:   I started with the hair dryer method, but without much success, so I switched to the hot water bath, after wrapping the cups in cling-film.   This was a lot easier and withing minutes I got the cups apart using a spoon.

The grilles had to go.  I used a scalpel to cut them out, then  a dremel to tidy up the inside of the cups.  Once done, I made new grilles from a couple of cheap tea strainers from the supermarket.   I wanted a slight domed effect, so tea strainers were a great start :)   Here is the result:

Next, vent the drivers.   I have read here many times that four holes seem best, so four it is...

I used a ball point pen to start the holes, then a scalpel and tweezers to open them up more evenly.  This was the scariest part for me, one millimeter too far in, and the driver is toast!

Next, I used a felt button to damp the driver magnets, cutting small areas out for the mysterious magnet holes.   The rest of the damping was just plain felt cloth, held in place with double-sided carpet tape:

Once the damping was complete, I reunited the cup halves, fixed with hot-glue similar to that used by Grado.

Then the moment of truth, the sound...

On first listen, they took some getting used to before I was able to fully understand the changes.  The bass is certainly fuller, thanks to the venting.  The treble seems to have less of that Grado harshness, and the whole presentation seems smoother and more airy.  Fortunately, they retain the Grado sound, that I love.  I was worried they may have lost the Grado-ness completely, but delighted that they have not.

The next step is to experiment with pads.  I will try the bowls from my 325i and maybe the quarter mod also.

One thing I can say, is that if anyone here is hesitating about doing this kind of thing (as I certainly was), there is very little to worry about.  Confidence grows as progress is made.  Take your time and gather whatever tools and materials you need.  Then it is just a matter of working methodically and being patient.   It has been great fun and most rewarding.  I thank fellow head-fiers for the inspiration and confidence to do this, my first ever mod, or anything, ever!

Next step, after more lurking here, I hope to liberate the drivers and make some full woodies.  But first I am just going to enjoy these as they are for a while longer :)

Edited, to add that, with the bowls from the 325i, the modded SR80i bass is slightly leaner, but still more present than before I vented the driver.   Four holes seems just right for my taste; more slam, but still tight, a nice balance.  The sound is noticeably more open and airy with the bowls, with the treble more present, but still without the harshness of the stock SR80i.  In fact, I like the overall effect so much, I am considering giving the 325i the same treatment. 

Here is the final version:

My X3 has a new best friend :)

Still intent on making some woodies eventually.

Did someone here say that Grado modding can become addictive? :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #3,274 of 3,353
Very nice job arbiche :).  I like the colours in the wood, they look amazing.  I also love the nice aged look of the headband, is it an older Grado headband, or one you modded?.  

How do they sound?

I feel greatly inspired by nice work like this.  Hope to do something similar in the near-ish future.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #3,275 of 3,353
  Very nice job arbiche :).  I like the colours in the wood, they look amazing.  I also love the nice aged look of the headband, is it an older Grado headband, or one you modded?.  

How do they sound?

I feel greatly inspired by nice work like this.  Hope to do something similar in the near-ish future.

I custom made those headband. 

I used Mahogany wood on those cups. Vented the driver and put some blutak on the back magnet plane. The cups has a spacer between ears and driver so I think it got the sweet listening spot. It is full bodied, bass is more punchy than the stock , but still retains its treble and I feel it is much smoother. Mids are a little forward but not overpowering. I tested it on Dubstep and hiphop with the Fast and Furious 6 album. and was amazed by how well it handles those sub-bass rumble. I thought that grado's are only best with acoustics, rock and classical but now I can enjoy more.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3,276 of 3,353

I used Mahogany wood on those cups. Vented the driver and put some blutak on the back magnet plane. The cups has a spacer between ears and driver so I think it got the sweet listening spot. It is full bodied, bass is more punchy than the stock , but still retains its treble and I feel it is much smoother. Mids are a little forward but not overpowering. I tested it on Dubstep and hiphop with the Fast and Furious 6 album. and was amazed by how well it handles those sub-bass rumble. I thought that grado's are only best with acoustics, rock and classical but now I can enjoy more.

Nice headband.

I thought that it's Alessandro, that's why you make spacer. I see that does work with Grado too.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,277 of 3,353

Yes, that headband is genuinely the best DIY one I have seen; it suits your woodies perfectly.   I like the idea of the spacers, the extra distance gives a slightly wider and more open presentation, yes?

Congratulations on a great mod.  I am full of ideas now :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #3,278 of 3,353
  This is how my final mod looks

Your cups and the headband are looking excellent!  I have a pair of mushroom cups in Padauk that I'm reworking so they're a bit less red, and should take on a hue more like yours, but maybe even a bit darker.  I'm using Polyshades (stain and satin poly in a single can).  The color is Dark Mission Oak -  yet on the Padauk, it's really changing it over from the red hues quite a bit.  I plan on about 5 coats and in between each coat, I'm taking down a bit of the poly and keeping a bit of color with 400 grit paper and 000 steel wool.  Quite a few steps, but it's getting to where I'd love them to be.  My motto is: "No 2 cups alike".

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #3,279 of 3,353

Your cups and the headband are looking excellent!  I have a pair of mushroom cups in Padauk that I'm reworking so they're a bit less red, and should take on a hue more like yours, but maybe even a bit darker.  I'm using Polyshades (stain and satin poly in a single can).  The color is Dark Mission Oak -  yet on the Padauk, it's really changing it over from the red hues quite a bit.  I plan on about 5 coats and in between each coat, I'm taking down a bit of the poly and keeping a bit of color with 400 grit paper and 000 steel wool.  Quite a few steps, but it's getting to where I'd love them to be.  My motto is: "No 2 cups alike".

Awesome

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3,283 of 3,353
This thread is a little old, but i have a question and feel that this is the best place to ask. What is the best kind of wood for Sr60i's? Im my opinion, best would be somewhat easy to work with, yet good sound with more bass and warmer mids than the plastic i have now, at a realatively cheap price. I've narrowed it down to mahogany or cocobolo, but i really like the color(s) of bloodwood and found a 1ft length of 3" square for $14, so i could make a few cups out of that and not have to worry about making mistakes. Is bloodwood good for the price or would i better off looking for some cocobolo or mahogany?

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3,284 of 3,353
  This thread is a little old, but i have a question and feel that this is the best place to ask. What is the best kind of wood for Sr60i's? Im my opinion, best would be somewhat easy to work with, yet good sound with more bass and warmer mids than the plastic i have now, at a realatively cheap price. I've narrowed it down to mahogany or cocobolo, but i really like the color(s) of bloodwood and found a 1ft length of 3" square for $14, so i could make a few cups out of that and not have to worry about making mistakes. Is bloodwood good for the price or would i better off looking for some cocobolo or mahogany?

I love my walnut. I don't know how easy it is to work with or pricing but for bass response and overall presentation over plastic I found it incredible.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #3,285 of 3,353
I love my walnut. I don't know how easy it is to work with or pricing but for bass response and overall presentation over plastic I found it incredible.

From the little wood working Ive done, im pretty sure walnut isnt as dense as mahogany, and its somwhat easy to work with because of that. I may try walnut because it is fairly common and can be found at my local harware store, so Ill see if they have any 3x3 square (which is a little larger than the current plastic cups)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back