SR60-Mod part II
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #3,257 of 3,353
My modded Sr60i. Driver vented, mahogany wood cups, proco cable with sleeve terminated to neutrik 3.5 mm plug.

Nice! how many holes did you vent and how are you liking the sound?

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,259 of 3,353
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,260 of 3,353
Nice! how many holes did you vent and how are you liking the sound?

First I tried venting 4 holes on each driver. The bass is more prominent but the sparkly treble are rescessed. So i coverd it with micropore tape leaving only 2 holes on each driver. I like it this way. Bass is pronounced yet never sacrificing mids and treble. Mids are a little forward but not overpowering.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,263 of 3,353
I have a question:

Instead of covering up the ports on the driver, what would the result be if you added slightly more resistance to the cup's vent? I'm thinking something like the very open, but thick type of dust filters for ventilation systems, computers etc. placed towards the grilles onside the cups. Maybe this is even enought surface to soften some unwanted resonance, although I think it'll be too little for a pronounced effect.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #3,267 of 3,353

1. The distance from the area where the driver is, to the outer cup facing is 1 3/8"

1. The diameter of the outer cup that covers the driver is approximately 2 1/2"

Let me know if you need additional measurements.  These were taken from my Alessandro MS1i headphones, which are the same as the "i" version from Grado.  I would have posted the measurements last night, but didn't have my tape measure close by.

WJE is there anyway you post the full measurements/dimensions of the cups? I'm trying to get a wood turner to make me some custom cups but I'm nervous about removing the drivers from the cup without damaging the driver and cups.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3,268 of 3,353

WJE is there anyway you post the full measurements/dimensions of the cups? I'm trying to get a wood turner to make me some custom cups but I'm nervous about removing the drivers from the cup without damaging the driver and cups.

Hi, while I've shared some dimensions in the past, they have been measurements that were "close" but not necessarily accurate as I only had a ruler and not a more precise device to take the measurements.  There was a nice image of cup dimensions that someone had posted in the forum here within the past few months that was quite accurate for dimensions. I just didn't save the link to it, though.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3,269 of 3,353

Hi, while I've shared some dimensions in the past, they have been measurements that were "close" but not necessarily accurate as I only had a ruler and not a more precise device to take the measurements.  There was a nice image of cup dimensions that someone had posted in the forum here within the past few months that was quite accurate for dimensions. I just didn't save the link to it, though.

WJE were these it?

I'm assuming these are the mushroom cups from the grado re-design a while ago. I'm also assuming that these dimensions are fairly accurate to the stock grado prestige cups meaning they are not full wood cup housing?

Also do you know if the Turbulent X Driver share the same dimensions as the stock Prestige "i' and MS1i drivers?

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #3,270 of 3,353

WJE were these it?

I'm assuming these are the mushroom cups from the grado re-design a while ago. I'm also assuming that these dimensions are fairly accurate to the stock grado prestige cups meaning they are not full wood cup housing?

Also do you know if the Turbulent X Driver share the same dimensions as the stock Prestige "i' and MS1i drivers?

There was another drawing.  I had a printed copy for a while.  A bit different than the on you referenced.  Essentially, yes, the drivers have the same dimensions.  The Grado or Alessandro drivers that you liberate from the cups might have a very slightly larger diameter because of the drivers being bonded into the plastic rings. However, a few seconds with some sandpaper will get this quickly cleaned up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back