SR60-Mod part II
Jul 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #61 of 3,353

Quote:
Just got back from the store with $3 of "Handi Tak" (not quite Blu-Tack..) and $3 for 12 3M sticky adhesive felt stickers. Popped on one felt sticker to each driver to start off with. Just started In Absentia - Porcupine Tree to test it out 

Porcupine Tree always sounds perfect. Bad choice
biggrin.gif

Quote:
What do you mean by taking the cable over to the new headphones?

As in transplant.

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #62 of 3,353
What is the process to make the Grado SR80i's balanced? I thought all you had to do was reterminate the plug and change from a normal 3.5mm plug to either a 4 pin XLR plug or two 3 pin XLR plugs. And then to transplant that wouldnt you have to cut it off of your SR80is and splice it into your new headphones thus ruining your SR80i.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #63 of 3,353
I just got finished "stocking" the first couple of posts of this thread with some of the very first Bila posts. Please let me know what you guys think?

Bill. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #64 of 3,353
That is great! I really think that you got all of the most important mods and how to do them so beginners can figure it all out and then the introduction to "woodies" might even convince some people to try and make their own cups. On the subject of making your own cups, has anyone ever checked local hardware stores to see if they have some aluminum tubing that is the correct size to make cups out of?

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #65 of 3,353
Great job there Bill! I think it should cover the first whats, whys and hows. Well, actually more than that.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #66 of 3,353

I just got finished "stocking" the first post of this thread with some of the very first Bila posts. Please let me know what you guys think?

Bill. 

Big Bill, thanks for doing that.  I'm hoping this will be a leaner-cleaner, non-commercial board.  You captured those golden oldies and I really appreciate that.

My motto has always been, "If I can do it, you can do it better."  Some folks have really raised the bar on that, which is truly inspirational.  When the old board started, we were right at the switch from hand-held drills to the drill press.  By the time the old board crashed, we were moving past the lathe to experiments with carbon fiber and some of the more exotic tonewoods.  A lot of good info was shared by members contributing their feedback about various points at which the lowly SR60 could be lifted higher.

While the temptation for commercialization is always there, I hope this board will maintain its focus on improving the Grado with newer ways to tap its potential as a sound platform.  When you trick out a hot rod, you're not aiming for a recreation of the original car; you're looking to build a dream.  I hope this board is full of dreamers with the inspiration to think about a $79 headphone in ways nobody has yet imagined.

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #68 of 3,353
Just switched from the adhesive felt stickers to some of the HandiTak and I think the difference is pretty noticeable immediately. The bass especially has more force and cymbals sound better.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #70 of 3,353

Quote:
What is the process to make the Grado SR80i's balanced? I thought all you had to do was reterminate the plug and change from a normal 3.5mm plug to either a 4 pin XLR plug or two 3 pin XLR plugs. And then to transplant that wouldnt you have to cut it off of your SR80is and splice it into your new headphones thus ruining your SR80i.

That's it. Wait what's the second part?

I still haven't gotten a pair of Grados, nor have I gotten a drill press or the hole saws. Just posted to subscribe. What was the width needed for the cups? And I assume the inner/driver part is 1.5 inches? Thanks.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #72 of 3,353

Quote:
Subscribing

popcorn.gif

RIP the most prolific thread in head-fi the last couple of years.

That probably belongs to the Ortho thread, McFrogger. It's probably the most helpful thread here in regards to modding, because a lot of the ideas there can apply to dynamics like these.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #73 of 3,353

Quote:
That probably belongs to the Ortho thread, McFrogger. It's probably the most helpful thread here in regards to modding, because a lot of the ideas there can apply to dynamics like these.

I encourage you to redeem yourself from such infidel statement, Ish.

More people own / mod grados than orthos, plus the mods in that thread can be applied to any grado model. and yes, those in the ortho thread can be applied to all orthos but I believe the Ortho fanbase outsideand inside of Headfi is small compared to the Grado fan base

redeem now and you will be forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #74 of 3,353

Quote:
I encourage you to redeem yourself from such infidel statement, Ish.

More people own / mod grados than orthos, plus the mods in that thread can be applied to any grado model. and yes, those in the ortho thread can be applied to all orthos but I believe the Ortho fanbase outsideand inside of Headfi is small compared to the Grado fan base

redeem now and you will be forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, there is a more active community in the Grado community, but the orthoheads are actively trying to improve damping and tuning. (Haven't checked in the Grado thread so I may very well be wrong.) I got the felt, polyfill, backwave principle, and other random stuff like positioning of the driver from the ortho thread, not to demean the Grado modding thread at all. It's a godsend.

And I was thinking more post count, not fanbase and that stuff...Then again, how big is the Stax thread? There is definitely a much larger Grado fanbase--there are probably 15 active orthoheads, if that--likely because anyone can get a new SR60, but finding a new ortho (other than the Fostex) is really freakin hard, and the modding is a bit more complicated (presuming you aren't making your own woodies. Then the Grado is harder, obviously.)

By the way, the mods in the Grado thread apply to any dynamic. Not just Grados. I've poked holes and felted every headphone I have that needed it.

...you totally misconstrued my sarcastic blunt comment.
tongue_smile.gif
The Grado thread is much faster though. It probably would have quickly caught up in post count if it stayed open.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #75 of 3,353
Conspiracy, I say
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back