SR60-Mod part II
Jul 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #32 of 3,353
Wayne, I should have asked you when you sent my Grados out, but would it be possible to send me a small bit of Dynamat too? I'm thinking it will be better than the FukTak I have been using. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #33 of 3,353
Quote:
......who cares? I'm one who detests rules that are rules simply for being rules. This seems to be the case here.

"well it's a law/rule therefore you should follow it." People under Nazi/facist rule often think the same thing. Obviously these two scenarios can't even be compared but I'm just saying. 

Those cups are beautiful by the way. I may order some new ones and replace bila's cocobolo's. ANyone have any spare dynamat by the way? never ended up getting any

I agree with you to a certain extant, but I don't need to be reading threads full of people hawking their own goods. It is a good rule. If you make a good product, word of mouth will spread, much like it has for MOTs like Marty and some others. Products should be bought on their merits (price, craftsmanship, etc), not because of inappropriate advertising blitzes.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #34 of 3,353
I just started the Bilavideo mod on my MS1

Are there any sonic differences between dampening with felt stickies or blutak? Which one should I pick up at the store? Thanks!

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #35 of 3,353
After seeing prices on some of the missing shells, over in the pending thread, the mods may be saying Bila needs to become a MOT.

As far as every other MOT, I was under the assumption that every pic of their work shown was something they had recently sold to another member.

Anyway, good to see it couldn't kill our efforts to continue on. I'm still looking forward to an update from Bila, and I think I'm going to (finally) quarter mod these pads. As far as cutting goes, the last thing I remember was just closely tracing something with a blade, have we came up with anything better? I'm thinking I may try a 1-1/4" brass pipe I have sharpened for cutting rubber rings.

At worst, it doesn't cut through and I have to get a blade to trace the pipe, at best, it cuts a nice clean hole.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 3,353

Quote:

Are there any sonic differences between dampening with felt stickies or blutak? Which one should I pick up at the store? Thanks!

There are subtle differences from what I understand, however most people have had the best results using Dynamat. Perhaps they'll chime in soon!

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #37 of 3,353

There are subtle differences from what I understand, however most people have had the best results using Dynamat. Perhaps they'll chime in soon!

After dynamat, I think blutak was held above the rest. There may be better options, but not many have been mentioned other than Dynamat, Blutak, felt, and the silly putty.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #38 of 3,353
I deleted the link to the blog, but my better judgement says it should remain.  I dont want our valued member mlantinen aka "Marty" to get into any trouble or get this thread locked again.

Its a shame that I have to edit my thoughts and praise for a product that is truly impressive.

/rant complete

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #39 of 3,353
I'm getting either the 60i or 80i soon. I don't really want to open up the shell, so what mods can I do on it without playing Operation? Also can someone post how each mod changes the sq?

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #40 of 3,353
I deleted the link... to the blog, but my better judgement says it should remain.  I dont want our valued member mlantinen aka "Marty" to get into any trouble or get this thread locked again.

Its a shame that I have to edit my thoughts and praise for a product that is truly impressive (the Grado cups that Marty made aka "mlantinen".)

/rant complete

I can see where you want to praise his work, but saying his username, his real name, and pics, should help spread the word on him nicely enough. His works speaks for itself.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #41 of 3,353

After seeing prices on some of the missing shells, over in the pending thread, the mods may be saying Bila needs to become a MOT.

That's what we're going to do.  I think it's for the best.  I don't know if it's automatic or anything but that'll be part of my signature.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #42 of 3,353

Quote:

Something else I have been thinking about, does anyone else here use flat pads? I only ask because I really like mine (more than bowls, comfies, or quarter modded comfies) and was thinking of making another pair that could be shipped around as a trial to others to see if they enjoy this pad style. You can still get TTVJ flats, but they are expensive and modded Senn pads are cheaper and will likely get you most of the way there. I have no intention of selling them, but maybe others can benefit from listening to them or using them as a template to make their own. If anyone has any thoughts on this, let me know.

I still use and love my flats. You cant cheap out on flats. Just get them from Todd and move on. The senn pads are nowhere near the same as true flats.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #43 of 3,353

Quote:
I'm getting either the 60i or 80i soon. I don't really want to open up the shell, so what mods can I do on it without playing Operation? Also can someone post how each mod changes the sq?

I opened the shells of MS1 in no time at all and with no problems whatsoever using the spoon technique (http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm : Method 3)

It was really much easier than I expected. Also, I just did it about 30 minutes ago. About to go to the store to buy blu-tack or felt

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #45 of 3,353
I've got a lot of free time this weekend. Imma see if I can at least begin picking through the 334 pages of stuff and save all the mod related stuff. Maybe make a wiki page on Wikiphonia.

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back