Speaker amps for headphones
Oct 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #2,866 of 3,871
I've spent time in an anechoic chamber... It gets freaky in there. Like, the sound of your breathing will drive you mad... and if you learn to slow that down enough, your own heartbeat and swirling of blood in your head is trippy.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2,867 of 3,871
I've spent time in an anechoic chamber... It gets freaky in there. Like, the sound of your breathing will drive you mad... and if you learn to slow that down enough, your own heartbeat and swirling of blood in your head is trippy.

That's what I've heard.

Ultimately we can hear down to the thermal noise limit of air. But you have to sit and acclimate for about 20 minutes. That's what gives our hearing a 120dB dynamic range. But of course you can't hear the air molecules banging on your eardrums at the same time you're listening to music. Which is why the instantaneous dynamic range of our hearing is only about 60-70dB.

se

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #2,868 of 3,871

Me too...well it was pretty close to anechoic.  You certainly do become "hyper-aware" of all those little noises the human body makes.  Great for meditation, if that is your thing.  That trippy feeling might just be "enlightenment"....
tongue_smile.gif

Great!  So now I have to build a nitrogen cooling system for my wires AND learn how to slow my breathing enough to deprive my brain of enough oxygen to "transcend" into audio nirvana????  .....this audio business is getting a bit tricky....
confused_face(1).gif

biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,869 of 3,871
That's what I've heard.

Ultimately we can hear down to the thermal noise limit of air. But you have to sit and acclimate for about 20 minutes. That's what gives our hearing a 120dB dynamic range. But of course you can't hear the air molecules banging on your eardrums at the same time you're listening to music. Which is why the instantaneous dynamic range of our hearing is only about 60-70dB.

se

Since I'm probably going to get an OT flogging anyway....  I have found the same thing, used to use my room to "reset" my ears for as neutral of an evaluation as I could muster with my goofy hearing response curve(partial hearing loss).  Very helpful when it comes down to the very fine tuning to you own ears when building speakers for yourself.  Also nifty for switching system components...sensory deprivation of any kind is some powerful stuff.  Proceed with caution....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,870 of 3,871
The nitrogen cooling and oxygen deprivation can both be risky and expensive to implement. It is far more effective (and cheaper) to indulge in recreational imbibements to enhance your listening experience. As a bonus, different imbibements will result in different perceptions of sound, so feel free to experiment. Don't combine too many at once though. Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,872 of 3,871
Me too...well it was pretty close to anechoic.  You certainly do become "hyper-aware" of all those little noises the human body makes.  Great for meditation, if that is your thing.  That trippy feeling might just be "enlightenment"....:tongue_smile: . 

Great!  So now I have to build a nitrogen cooling system for my wires AND learn how to slow my breathing enough to deprive my brain of enough oxygen to "transcend" into audio nirvana????  .....this audio business is getting a bit tricky....:confused_face(1):

:D

Why stop at the wire's? :D

se

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,873 of 3,871
Since I'm probably going to get an OT flogging anyway....  I have found the same thing, used to use my room to "reset" my ears for as neutral of an evaluation as I could muster with my goofy hearing response curve(partial hearing loss).  Very helpful when it comes down to the very fine tuning to you own ears when building speakers for yourself.  Also nifty for switching system components...sensory deprivation of any kind is some powerful stuff.  Proceed with caution....:veryevil:

Yeah, it's always good to set aside some quiet time. As they say about music, the silence between the notes is as important as the notes themselves.

se

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #2,876 of 3,871
Sounds about right.  Alot of people drank the cool aid on these wires and spent some decent coin.  Most ditched them pretty quickly.  There was some success, good with "harsh" SS amps, two way full range speakers(woofer, tweeter, but no mid); but the overall usability of such a cable("heavy, thick, solid core", not too sure if it could be called "shielded" though)  for a full spectrum loudspeaker typically ended up with a very pronounced midrange bump or roll off of highs or lows....however you want to look at it.  It also has some goofy wire "memory" after being used in a few different "applications" because of the solid core wire, one has to be careful with sharp bends.  It does OK as an interconnect, especially if you add a braided copper tube shield and some preferably clear heat shrink tubing, though I do think it is a shame to cover up a pretty cool looking cable...IMO, but if you need the shielding I will take function over form any day.  I could never hear any difference with the supposed "directionality" of the cable...I dont think electrons care which way a wire "goes"....IMO.  I have also striped the clear plastic/rubber "shielding" off and used the individual wires for point to point wiring in various projects from crossovers/internal speaker wiring to equipment modifications.  It seems to be a very high quality copper and nice to work with.  When the outer is stripped the individual conductors have their own clear insulation for those that dont know.  It is easy to twist and braid when stripped too, just not too flexible and LOTS of memory...so get your braids and twists done right the first time or just start with new wire...lol.

Again, I find it very useful for passive equalization.  I think they would be a good match forh my DT770/80 since they seem to lack a bit in the mids from the factory; it might help, it might not.  I have never done any actual frequency response measurements, but have just gone by what I heard from my own experience: copper best for mids and lows if there is a thick enough gauge, and silver for "brightening" up the highs.  Obviously the actual chemical composition of the material used in each individual type, and or brand, of wire can vary greatly, especially once you get into plated wires and other esoteric "magic" wires.  Possibilities though finite, are substantial for the "wire fanatic".

Really I just saw them as my best option for what I have lying around for my first balanced cable build.  I have some other vintage interconnects(Musical Concepts) that have their coating peeling off and the RCA connectors are oxidizing but the wire is still just fine; so they are also under consideration with some new heat shrink and terminations.  They are coaxial wires though with only one shielded multi strand silver plated(I think) center conductor, the shield obviously is the other conductor.  Not sure how "balanced" that would sound?  I know that electronically they would work, especially if I sleeved them in copper braid like mentioned before for extra shielding, but I havent seen too many custom wires made with any type of coax.  I will experiment with it though.  I also have some incredibly flexible coax of a much smaller gauge that I might use.  Finally, I do have some apparently "proper" wire coming from FleaBay(Canare L-4E6S) that was just over ten bucks shipped for ten feet, cant hurt to *try* to do things *normal* I suppose....:rolleyes: .......:p

So have you ever tried the wire out for yourself, or get to hear how they sounded on your brother's system?  Always curious as to other peoples' perception when it comes cables, always looking to learn...

Yes, the Vecteur cable I have has a braided shield.

Coaxial cable is not balanced.
Typical audio balanced cable has two conductors twisted together with a shield surrounding the twisted wire pair.
The shield is tied to ground or signal common, the cable is balanced as the two wires twisted together should each have the same impedance to ground or signal common.

I don't remember listening to the Vecteur cable.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,877 of 3,871
 the cable is balanced as the two wires twisted together should each have the same impedance to ground or signal common.

This is only true if your amplifier does not have common ground output. It seems that most speaker amps today have their negative speaker terminals tied to ground for safety and liability purposes. It may even be a UL listing requirement.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,878 of 3,871
This is only true if your amplifier does not have common ground output. It seems that most speaker amps today have their negative speaker terminals tied to ground for safety and liability purposes. It may even be a UL listing requirement.

Unless the amplifier is employing bridged outputs (i.e. two amplifier channels bridged together for a single output), what, beside ground, should the negative speaker terminals be connected to? If they're not connected to ground, there's no return path and you get no sound.

se

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,879 of 3,871
This output transformer's secondary puts out a balanced signal (equal impedance) and is not grounded:

But most speaker amps today tie one of the secondary wires to ground for safety reasons and this makes the impedance between the + and - wires unequal so you lose the benefits of balanced output:

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #2,880 of 3,871
This output transformer's secondary puts out a balanced signal (equal impedance) and is not grounded:

That depends on the transformer's winding construction. Depending how it's wound you can have an imbalance.

But most speaker amps today tie one of the secondary wires to ground for safety reasons and this makes the impedance between the + and - wires unequal so you lose the benefits of balanced output:

Ok, forget about "safety reasons." What exactly should the negative speaker terminals connect to if not ground? Where is the current flowing through the speakers supposed to return to?

And what exactly is the benefit of driving a loudspeaker from a balanced output?

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back