SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Nov 25, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #256 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The similarities end with that though.

Do you own the Nuforce and Soundmagic's? If so, a comparative review would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #257 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you own the Nuforce and Soundmagic's? If so, a comparative review would be greatly appreciated.

No but having read up on HeadphoneAddict's review (well respected member here), the similarities really only end with the looks.
Have got the PL-30's however and yes, worth more than $20, but not amazing.

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #258 of 327
I'd love to hear someone compare the PL-30 and NE-8 at some point.

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #259 of 327
I have had my pair for sometime, got them from mp4nation when i bought my Fiio E5. Sound really good, i did prefer to use them without the E5. A lot better than stuff that i have owned before.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #260 of 327
As one who owns numerous pair of headphones etc I can say with all honesty that the SoundMagic PL30 are just absolutely incredible !!! At first listen I was not too impressed, nice soundstage, clear sound, can't beat the price. Interesting but certainly no match for my Shure SE310's or Yuin PK1's right? Wrong. Something about the way they fit (takes a bit of experimenting with the tips) When you find the right combination trust me you'll know. Deep bass, HUGE soundstage and detail detail detail. I don't know if maybe the type of driver is what I like, I don't know if it's the fit. All I know is I use these everyday and grin when I shove em in. Now I won't subject myself to ridicule more than I have too but I DO use these more than my Westone 3's. I am not saying they ARe better, that would be ridiculous. What I am saying though is, something about these puppies keep me hooked and incredibly immersed. BTW, associated equipment.... I'm using an 80GB IMOD from Red Wine Audio, iMod ALO Cryo, and a Emmeline "P-51 Mustang" Portable Headphone Amp. Here's the deal I think and maybe it's from owning almost every type of home speaker ever created (seriously). I think I'm just not an "armature" guy. Naturally modern armatures are a modern day marvel, I won't begin to dispute that. Also, a three armature design with passive crossovers like in the Westone 3's is just like mind boggling. Fact is though the 9mm "drive unit" of the PL 30's in my opinion kick serious butt. Just like with speakers, some people swear by ported designs, others, unported. Some like electrostats, some like ribbons, it's all a matter of taste. If I put on a pair of iems and 3 hours later I'm still groovin and enjoying myself like a happy kid then I've found a great product. The PL30 is a great product.

May 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #261 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As one who owns numerous pair of headphones etc I can say with all honesty that the SoundMagic PL30 are just absolutely incredible !!! At first listen I was not too impressed, nice soundstage, clear sound, can't beat the price. Interesting but certainly no match for my Shure SE310's or Yuin PK1's right? Wrong. Something about the way they fit (takes a bit of experimenting with the tips) When you find the right combination trust me you'll know. Deep bass, HUGE soundstage and detail detail detail. I don't know if maybe the type of driver is what I like, I don't know if it's the fit. All I know is I use these everyday and grin when I shove em in. Now I won't subject myself to ridicule more than I have too but I DO use these more than my Westone 3's. I am not saying they ARe better, that would be ridiculous. What I am saying though is, something about these puppies keep me hooked and incredibly immersed. BTW, associated equipment.... I'm using an 80GB IMOD from Red Wine Audio, iMod ALO Cryo, and a Emmeline "P-51 Mustang" Portable Headphone Amp. Here's the deal I think and maybe it's from owning almost every type of home speaker ever created (seriously). I think I'm just not an "armature" guy. Naturally modern armatures are a modern day marvel, I won't begin to dispute that. Also, a three armature design with passive crossovers like in the Westone 3's is just like mind boggling. Fact is though the 9mm "drive unit" of the PL 30's in my opinion kick serious butt. Just like with speakers, some people swear by ported designs, others, unported. Some like electrostats, some like ribbons, it's all a matter of taste. If I put on a pair of iems and 3 hours later I'm still groovin and enjoying myself like a happy kid then I've found a great product. The PL30 is a great product.

couldn't agree more.
happy_face1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #263 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PL-30 are my backup IEMs, they are less fatiguing to listen than the PFE, but they lack detail and bass I think

I can almost guarantee 100% that if thats your opinion of the PL-30 then more experimentation with the tips will fix that. Also, they need to be really shoved into the ear. Not for the squeamish.

May 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #265 of 327
What tips are you using to get "hugely awesome" bass?
I'm using the biflanges silicone and while the bass is nice and not bloated like with so many cheap iems I wouldn't call it awesome.
It's a nice, decent bass but nothing impressive in my experience.

May 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #266 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tips are you using to get "hugely awesome" bass?
I'm using the biflanges silicone and while the bass is nice and not bloated like with so many cheap iems I wouldn't call it awesome.
It's a nice, decent bass but nothing impressive in my experience.

hi I am using the largest of the supplied tips. dont have to shove em in very hard at all either, good luck
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #267 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to hear someone compare the PL-30 and NE-8 at some point.

Well, then, here you are - ask and you shall receive!
smile_phones.gif

The NE-8's are more detailed and open in the mids through top end. However...they are also MUCH thinner in the bottom, needing solid amplification and/or more than 'modest' frequency EQ to come back into relative top/bottom end balance. They are slightly forward in the upper midrange yet still retain just the slightest bit of nasal just below that (on my system, at least). Transients are excellent again except for level of impact, which without amp/EQ is pretty close to non-existent. With EQ or amp, or both, the NE-8's have a very "Grado" / "Stax" thing going on: solid but certainly not warm bottom, with a touch of slightly dry/'complex' (a touch forward on some frequencies, a touch recessed in others) top.

The PL-30's, in comparison, are "Sennheisers"; a bit of rolloff on the top along with warmth in the bass makes them much more forgiving. They come from the factory in the "Clear Bass" mode which actually adds a touch of lower midbass boom in comparison to the "Deep Bass" mode. Detail seems fine but not high. A bit of midrange suckout can be heard, not excessive nor fatal, but gives the midrange a touch of recessed honk. This is easily EQed however so it is certainly not a fatal flaw (see note below).

IMHO the difference is easiest to describe using the comparisons I did: the NE-8's are Grados versus the PL-30's Sennheisers. YMMV but it's the easiest way to decide which sound works for you. BTW both certainly respond well to amplification in regards to bottom end response; with the NE-8's the amp helps to add back more of the (completely missing IMHO) bottom octave while on the PL-30's it adds impact and fills out the lower midrange, removing a substantial amount of the midrange honk that is present without amp...but also gets the bottom end somewhat loose and a touch boomy.

May 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #268 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaphod373 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi I am using the largest of the supplied tips. dont have to shove em in very hard at all either, good luck
biggrin.gif

Right, the operative word here is "experiment" When you get it right your jaw will drop and you will understand what all the fuss is about. I swear by them and I have several expensive iems and headphones to compare.

May 11, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #269 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can almost guarantee 100% that if thats your opinion of the PL-30 then more experimentation with the tips will fix that. Also, they need to be really shoved into the ear. Not for the squeamish.

compared to the PFE they lack it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back